this can't be true...

Old May 28th 06, 01:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default this can't be true...

lucy-h wrote:
Hi Ash

I couldn't find much in the way of conclusive evidence either way regarding
stress. However, my sis-in-law lives with my noisy brother, and their 3yo
and newborn sleep through everything, so I guess it's good to get some noise
in around you.

As for weight, I've had horrible morning sickness all the way through this
pregnancy, and I am only just beginning to weigh what I did pre-pg (at 38
weeks) so I wouldn't worry about weight - my midwife hasn't weighed me at
all so far, and I don't think they do so much now as it doesn't seem to have
much bearing on the weight/health of your baby, especially given as
diet/fitness has such different effects on different people. I'd just tend
to keep an eye on it and mention it to your doc/MW if it's a concern to you.

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Lucy,

Congrats on your little girl! I haven't had much morning sicknesss at
all. I did in the first 3 months, and then it stopped. I also have had
lactos-intolerance my whole life, until I became pregnant. I've been
loving it! I can actually hold down milk, ice-cream and yogurt with no
problem. I'm not trying to stay skinny, and I'm eating healthy... I
just can't seem to raise my weight. I weighed 103lbs before I became
pregnant, and now I weigh 110lbs after 22weeks. 7lbs doesn't seem like
enough to me, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Other than fatty foods, does anybody else know a good way to gain
weight? I'm afraid that one day when the Dr does weigh me, he will say
I haven't gained enough. I like the diet I'm on. I've been taking in
ALOT of fiber (helps me stay 'regular') and protein. As for exercise
I've been doing the Kagels and abdomen lifts (I learned from "What To
Expect When You're Expecting") and my husband tries to keep me active
by Sunday walks and Tuesday hikes (with PLENTY of breaks and water!) If
anybody needs great outdoor activities to do with their 'others' this
has been great for us. It not only gives us something to do together,
but it's something we have in common, and with our busy work schedules
we don't see eachother very much except those 2 days. Hold hands too!
It always brings back the 'dating' sensation! And if you live in Utah,
go to Antelope Island! Last week was my first time there, and they have
some awesome trails that aren't too hard on your legs and back.

Best wishes everyone!
Ash

Old May 28th 06, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks for the great sites guys =) I'll keep everybody updated if I
hear or see anything else crazy on the news! This time I'll pay a
little bit more attention!

Today's lesson from Ch4 news:
Dieting... try to stay away from tunafish while pregnant. God knows
why, something about a harmful ingredient... but I don't like tuna
anyways. They said to substitute chicken instead. (yeah, I just found
out that comes in a can next to the tuna in Wal-Mart!) And, cut back on
salty foods. As everybody knows, or should know by now, too much salt
in your diet durring pregnancy can result in Toxemia or Preclampsia.

Stay safe everyone! Have a healthy pregnancy!
Ash

Old May 28th 06, 01:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"ipinchibite" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the great sites guys =) I'll keep everybody updated if I
hear or see anything else crazy on the news! This time I'll pay a
little bit more attention!

Today's lesson from Ch4 news:
Dieting... try to stay away from tunafish while pregnant. God knows
why, something about a harmful ingredient... but I don't like tuna
anyways. They said to substitute chicken instead. (yeah, I just found
out that comes in a can next to the tuna in Wal-Mart!) And, cut back on
salty foods. As everybody knows, or should know by now, too much salt
in your diet durring pregnancy can result in Toxemia or Preclampsia.

Stay safe everyone! Have a healthy pregnancy!
Ash

Uh, salt does NOT cause Pre-eclampsia, nor does restricting salt prevent PE.
That's an old wives tale and one which has been refuted repeatedly in
research. Now, too much sodium isn't recommended at any time, but PE doesn't
have any one, simple cause, and to say it does really heaps the guilt on
those of us who have struggled with this condition. I'd suggest visiting
www.preeclampsia.org for more ACCURATE information.

Old May 28th 06, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

ipinchibite wrote:
As for exercise
I've been doing the Kagels and abdomen lifts (I learned from "What To
Expect When You're Expecting") and my husband tries to keep me active
by Sunday walks and Tuesday hikes (with PLENTY of breaks and water!) If
anybody needs great outdoor activities to do with their 'others' this
has been great for us.
Best wishes everyone!
Ash

This brings back a memory or two!
When I was 5 months pregnant with my first, we went on this hike
that we didn't think would be too bad. Eight km through the mountains
with a 10 metre elevation change, then 8 kms up to a pass.
Unfortunately, the 10 metre elevation change was a net change between
the start and the end point, there were plenty of ups and downs. But I
was feeling ok, so we started up the pass. About half way up, there was
lookout spur that was only half a km or so on a flat, so my dh asked me
if I wanted to just do that. I figured, I came this far, we should just
finish. So we made it up the pass, which was wonderful. Although it was
late September and absolutely gorgeous weather, blue skies, warm temps,
there was 6 inches of snow in the pass itself. The view was
magnificent! There were elk and bighorn sheep all over the place.
Then we started back down. It took us almost 12 hours to complete
this hike! When we got back to town, we stopped at the first
restaurant, but it was up some stairs. I could hardly walk up the
stairs. Then we sat and ate our supper, and relaxed, our muscles
relaxing...then stiffening up. I had to laugh on the way back down the
stairs. I couldn't bend my legs far enough to make the stairs. I was SO
stiff and sore, I couldn't bend at the waist, or at the knees.
My dh swore that I could no longer make any sorts of decisions
regarding my personal safety, but I have to say, he was as tired and
sore as I was!

Stasya

Old May 28th 06, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Donna Metler wrote:
Uh, salt does NOT cause Pre-eclampsia, nor does restricting salt prevent PE.
That's an old wives tale and one which has been refuted repeatedly in
research. Now, too much sodium isn't recommended at any time, but PE doesn't
have any one, simple cause, and to say it does really heaps the guilt on
those of us who have struggled with this condition. I'd suggest visiting
www.preeclampsia.org for more ACCURATE information.

Sorry to have caused a mis-comunication with the subject, I was just
repeating what the program had stated. And I'm very sorry to those who
have suffered through the condition, and send my preyers to them. I
myself, do not suffer from any problems durring my pregnancy so far
(knock on wood) and I hope that the rest of you proceed with health and
knoledge through yours.

best of wishes to all you mommies-to-be (and daddies-to-be as well)

Ash

Old May 28th 06, 04:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Donna Metler wrote:
[...]

Now now. That's not the worst old wives tale I've heard. I don't think
anyone meant to say that if you have or had preeclampsia, that it was
your fault for eating too much salt!
I have a 21 year old employee who had a miscarriage about 3 months ago,
before I knew her. Her mom told her that she miscarried because she was
doing a lot of construction work, and reaching above her head! Since
the doctor never told her why she miscarried, she assumed that it was
her fault she miscarried. I told her that there is no way that reaching
over her head would cause her to miscarry, nor the type of work she was
doing. (She is indeed in construction/renovation work, but it tends to
be along the lines of 'sweep here' and 'hand me that' and 'hold this
here'.) Although we all have access to the internet, we still base a
lot of beliefs on what we've heard, and unless it happens to us
personally, seldom research heavily into it.

Stasya

Old May 28th 06, 04:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

stasya wrote:
The view was magnificent! There were elk and bighorn sheep all over the place.

That sounds alot like Antelope Island, except no Elk and no Bighorn
Sheep. Instead we got to stand 4 feet away from a Buffalo, and take
pictures of Antelope on the hillside. Has anybody heard an Antelope
call? They sound like a bird of some kind. It was amazing!

Then we started back down. It took us almost 12 hours to complete
this hike!

We were planning on staying on the island all day long, but after our
hike, we had only spent 3 hours total on the island. We decited to head
home after that, our dog looked as if she was going to die. She suffers
from arthritis, and Dustin had to lift her up into the back of the
Explorer because she couldn't jump in.

My dh swore that I could no longer make any sorts of decisions
regarding my personal safety, but I have to say, he was as tired and
sore as I was!

Dustin says the same thing to me... Funny how men turn to mush after
you tell them your carrying their young! LOL, I feel like an idiot
asking, but what does DH stand for?

Ash

Old May 28th 06, 04:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

stasya wrote:
[...]

I've never heard that reaching above your head causes miscarriage. I
heard that reaching above your head would cause the umbilical cord to
wrap around the babies neck. Although I did my own reasearch on this
(not heavily... just read a spot in WTEWYE) that nearly 6/10 babies
will have the cord wraped around their neck, because of all the
'tumbles' they do while they are developing. 9/10 babies who come out
with the cord around their necks, end up just fine. It is a scary
thought though. My little sister was born with her cord wrapped around
her neck, face down. She inhaled too soon, and got fluid in her lungs,
causing pnumonia. She was incubated for 2 days before my mom got to see
her. Besides the fear my mom had to go through watching her twitching
purple baby being rushed out of the delivery room, Amanda turned out
just fine.

Something I fear durring delivery is my baby injesting fecal matter.
One of my co-workers had that happen to her son, and she didn't get to
see him for 4 days, taking away her chance of breastfeeding him. Her
story is the first I have ever heard of like this. Has anybody else
heard, or have a story somewhat relating?

Ash

Old May 28th 06, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A friend's little girl ingested meconium(sp?) (ie. fecal matter) when she
was born and ended up in intensive care. My friend did get to see her,
though, and to take her home not too long afterwards. She ended up
breastfeeding her.

If your baby gets taken away like that, I say pump like crazy so you CAN
breastfeed. That's what I'm going to do. Last time it took 5 days for my
milk to come in, so I'm going to have a chat to one of the lactation
consultants on the childcare team and have a "battle plan" in case it
happens again.

Matt was born with the world's longest umbilical cord. That sucker just kept
coming out and coming out, the midwives are pulling and pulling, in the end
laughing and pulling. I was trying to concentrate on my new family but kind
of hard with all the giggling.

oups.com...

Old May 28th 06, 05:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Engram wrote:
A friend's little girl ingested meconium(sp?) (ie. fecal matter) when she
was born and ended up in intensive care. My friend did get to see her,
though, and to take her home not too long afterwards. She ended up
breastfeeding her.

If your baby gets taken away like that, I say pump like crazy so you CAN
breastfeed. That's what I'm going to do. Last time it took 5 days for my
milk to come in, so I'm going to have a chat to one of the lactation
consultants on the childcare team and have a "battle plan" in case it
happens again.

Matt was born with the world's longest umbilical cord. That sucker just kept
coming out and coming out, the midwives are pulling and pulling, in the end
laughing and pulling. I was trying to concentrate on my new family but kind
of hard with all the giggling.

Thanks for the info. It was much needed. I still have a good 4 months
before Seth comes out... when should I start saving? So far I have just
kept a warm washcloth in one hand, and soak it up as it comes out. (I
find that warm feels alot better than dry, or cold) I havent been
lactating alot, its probably only 1/2 cup a day total. I'm kinda
concerned after all of your stories that I'm not lactating enough! Will
it increase before he's born? I so want to breastfeed. My mom told me
it is a wonderful feeling to get to breastfeed, and I will miss it when
I wein him. She breastfed all 3 of her babies. Me for 6 months, my
little brother 8 months, and my little sister for a year and a month.
It's something I'm really looking forward to, and if there is something
I should be doing to increse production, please let me know.

Sweet dreams to you all!
Ash