cord blood banking?

Old July 30th 04, 02:19 AM
Larry McMahan

Default cord blood banking?

writes:
: Hi, anyone have any opinion on cord blood banking? I asked my ob about
: it and he said as me and my DH are slightly different backgrounds (I
: am of general caucasian background, he is of jewish descent from
: eastern europe) that we should consider private cord blood banking
: since it might be a little harder for us to find a match should we
: need one. Is anyone doing this? What's the general concensus on cord
: blood banking?

Consensus? You've got to be kidding? Opinions? Yep, and everybodies
is diffrent. :-)

That said...

Some hospitals require you to clamp early in order to do cord blood
banking. Now, my opinion is that the benefits of delayed clamping
outweigh the benefits of cord blood banking, and the cost is a heck
of a lot less, so if given that choice, it's automatic for me.

However, even delayed clamping is a controversial topic, with some
people denying there is any significant benefit. I disagree, given
my reading of the research literature, but you have to make up your
own mind. :-)

Now, if I could do delayed clamping AND cord blood banking, I might
consider it. In this case, it becomes a case of balancing the risk
versus the cost. My understanding is that the liklihood of needing
banked cord blood is pretty remote, so the cost would also have to
be pretty low (I'm not automatically rich, so don't have the kind of
disposable income to do this for a very low liklihood risk).

I remain unconvinced of the need. You have to make up your own mind.

Good luck,
Larry
Old July 30th 04, 07:17 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Cord blood banking seems a fine idea to me - AFTER the baby is done using
her or his blood.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says "aggressive" immediate cord
clamping/ICC is "unethical," as in,

"There may be a temptation to practice immediate cord clamping [ICC]
aggressively to increase the volume of cord blood that can be harvested for
cord blood banking. This practice is unethical and should be discouraged."
(full cite below)

Retired obstetrician GM Morley, MB ChB FACOG says:

"I AM WILLING TO TESTIFY AND OFFER PROOF that immediate cord clamping at
birth causes attention deficit disorders, learning disabilities, behavioral
disorders, mental retardation, respiratory distress syndrome, and
intraventricular hemorrhage, and cerebral palsy."

TRANSLATION: Immediate cord clamping - "aggressive" or otherwise - is CHILD
ABUSE and should be abolished immediately.

Again, cord blood banking seems a fine idea to me - AFTER the baby is done
using her or his blood.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Old July 30th 04, 08:11 PM
Shelly

wrote in message
om...
Hi, anyone have any opinion on cord blood banking? I asked my ob about
it and he said as me and my DH are slightly different backgrounds (I
am of general caucasian background, he is of jewish descent from
eastern europe) that we should consider private cord blood banking
since it might be a little harder for us to find a match should we
need one. Is anyone doing this? What's the general concensus on cord
blood banking?

My DH and I are also of different backgrounds (I am of European descent, and
DH is Palestinian) and my understanding is the same as yours; it will be
harder to find a match for our son in a public bank, should we ever need
cord blood for any reason. None-the-less, we chose not to for reasons
similar to the ones Larry cited; it is expensive, it is very unlikely that
you will ever need to use the blood, and we really wanted to delay clamping
the cord, so our son would have the (potential) benefits of the cord blood.
We considered donating the cord blood, but from what we understood, this
would preclude delayed clamping.

We did talk to my husband's neurologist about it ahead of time (funny person
to talk to, I know, but he is also a researcher who works with stem cells
and cord blood). He felt that currently there are not a lot of applications
for the cord blood, but there should be in the future. He was also skeptical
of how long the cells could be preserved; if we need them ten, twenty years
from now, they might not even be viable anymore.

So, I don't think there is a general concensus at all; it just has to be a
personal decision.

-Michelle

Old July 31st 04, 06:16 PM
H Schinske

we really wanted to delay clamping
the cord, so our son would have the (potential) benefits of the cord blood.

Here's an old post of mine about what I was told: "before my son was born, I
researched whether any cord blood could be
donated if there was a delay in cord clamping and cutting. I wrote to a cord
blood research project in Chicago (sorry I don't remember more of the details),
and the doctor in charge said this comes up *all the time* and they can nearly
always get enough even if they wait until the placenta is delivered. The cord
blood sample needed is actually relatively small. They can get some out of the
vessels on the placenta if needed. This is blood that would *not* necessarily
ever have got to the baby -- just a bit extra."

I expect, like a lot of things, it depends a bit on how cooperative the people
at the birth are. I don't have any personal experience, as at my son's birth
the whole cord blood donation thing (we were going to donate it for research)
went by the board, as we totally forgot to call the person who was going to
collect it in time.

--Helen