Question about car seats...

Old September 11th 06, 06:02 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

Default Question about car seats...

I know it's still a bit early but the silly iVillage pregnancy calendar
thing suggested looking into car seats soon...
I've been putting the whole car seat issues off for so long - realize now
that was a horrible idea...

DD (13 months now) *desperately* needs a new seat - she's in the
rear/forward facing convertible seat right now and the posted exipry date is
like right away. I had used an infant seat for her up until she was 6
months old. When she was 6 months, I had to pull out DS's baby seat as I
had to dispose of her car seat due to an accident. I used the one DS used
as I didn't have the money to buy her a new one, and DS's old seat was
perfectly fine to use (for a short time, anyways, due to expiry date)
Now she clearly needs a new one, and looking around, the car seat/booster
seat would probably make the most sense, give that she and this next one
will both be in car seats at the same time, then booster seats at the same
time, no way to really buy 1 car seat for DD, pass that on to the next one,
up DD to a booster seat, if you know what I mean... Cost of a new car seat
for DD: Around $150-$200ish ($200at the higher end, $150 on the lower end)
Now, because DD's seat was in an accident, I got rid of it. I also had a
second seat for her that I didn't like as much as the one I used, but
shortly after that accident, since I moved her into the 5lb-40lb seat, I
gave away the 5lb-20lb infant seat that was involved in no accident. It was
a week or two after that, of course, that we found out there was going to be
another one. Of course this is my fantastic luck.

Now I need a second 5lb and up car seat. Once again, I was thinking of the
5lb-80lb 3 in one seat for DD and this next baby... The problem is, lack of
money to buy seats aside for a moment, I cannot see 3 child seats in my car!
There are 3 seat belts in the back seat - although the back driver's side
seatbelt is hooped, it can ONLY safely and legally be used converted to just
a lap belt (shoulder part does not retract, so it can still be used safely
and legally with a baby seat and a locking clip as a lap belt only - yes, I
did get this checked out with road safety people in an inspection) This
seatbelt issue is not really an issue in the immediate or fairly distant
future, anyways. It's more the lack of space in the back seat of the car,
and the fact that no matter what, I will need 3 seats in the car - one for
baby, one for DD, plus DS's booster seat.

I thought about putting one in the front seat, but I have airbags so that
idea is totally and completely out of the question for so many reasons. My
car has no switch or anything to decided when and where I want airbags on,
and I've heard (although not actually checked out) that the dealership
turning off the airbags is VERY costly, and I am extremely hesitant to put a
child in the front passenger's side of the car, as it's just not a safe
position to be in, especially a child. Just a personal phobia after that
accident, which I don't care to go all into again...

Should I start shopping around to see if there's ANY seats that will fit all
together in my car? I've heard people say to test it out first - before
buying a seat, take it to the car and ensure it fits and all that, but I'm
wondering if anyone has ever done that. Would a store allow you to take a
test seat out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car? Would a
staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your car while
you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and that particular
seat in your car? Even worse, what on earth would a person do if NO seats
available in any store will fit in your car, properly, and allow for the
doors to be closed properly without smashing seats together or putting major
pressure and strain on the doors...

Yes, go buy a different/bigger vehicle :P Cross that one out Still owe
my mom what she borrowed to me for the car - and still owe her in full
I'm looking around for a mini van, but since price and how efficient it is
is a major factor, I have my eye set to find only a select few types of mini
vans and in the right price range for me (absolutely no more than what I
paid (owe my mom) for this car I currently have... So, basically, I'm stuck
making do with what I have.

Any ideas on this?

Old September 11th 06, 08:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Liz

"xkatx" wrote in message
I know it's still a bit early but the silly iVillage pregnancy calendar
thing suggested looking into car seats soon...
I've been putting the whole car seat issues off for so long - realize now
that was a horrible idea...

snip
Should I start shopping around to see if there's ANY seats that will fit
all together in my car? I've heard people say to test it out first -
before buying a seat, take it to the car and ensure it fits and all that,
but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done that. Would a store allow you
to take a test seat out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car?
Would a staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your
car while you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and that
particular seat in your car? Even worse, what on earth would a person do
if NO seats available in any store will fit in your car, properly, and
allow for the doors to be closed properly without smashing seats together
or putting major pressure and strain on the doors...

snip

I forget where you are, but I do know that at least some shops here in Aus
will do this -- we bought ours at a shop where they professionally installed
it, so obviously if it hadn't fit properly they wouldn't have sold it to us.
The professional installer could probably suggest possibilities for your
situation, based on experience. Of course, they charge for the professional
installation though...

Good luck,
Liz

Old September 11th 06, 09:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Liz" wrote in message
"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

I'm in Canada...
AFAIK, the only people who are able to work with car seats - as far as
proper installation and safety checks go - is the public health centre car
seat people, and the inspector people that work for the province's road and
safety (or whatever it's called?)
They don't charge to properly install seats at the public health centres,
and I'm not aware of any other outside places that would do it - free or for
charge. I'll be at the public health centre for the mom's group on
Wednesday afternoon, and maybe I should ask about that.
The health centre does, however, show you the proper way to install a seat -
how to put it in, what angle, what seat for your child and car, but that
doesn't really help as far as buying a seat that fits and actually knowing
before buying that it will work with the car
Maybe, since I really don't know, I will wait until Wednesday afternoon.
I'm fairly certain I won't have a baby that needs a seat before then! lol
I still have a maximum of 7 weeks left :'( Ugh, how time drags

Old September 11th 06, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

xkatx wrote:

Should I start shopping around to see if there's ANY seats that will fit all
together in my car?

Of course. It's really the only way you'll be able
to figure it all out.

I've heard people say to test it out first - before
buying a seat, take it to the car and ensure it fits and all that, but I'm
wondering if anyone has ever done that. Would a store allow you to take a
test seat out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car?

I've never been to one that wouldn't. You just have to
ask and you can generally take the model out. You can get an
approximation by measuring your back seat and measuring the
carseats.

Would a
staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your car while
you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and that particular
seat in your car?

Usually they don't, but I suppose some stores might want
someone to go with them. If they're concerned you'll make off
with it, I suspect most would just ask to hold your driver's
license or something like that.

Even worse, what on earth would a person do if NO seats
available in any store will fit in your car, properly, and allow for the
doors to be closed properly without smashing seats together or putting major
pressure and strain on the doors...

Most people I know in this situation have managed
to make it work, though sometimes it requires replacing
older seats with smaller ones. For instance, you might
need to go with a compact, backless booster for your son
(if that's not what you have already). You might well
not have room for one of the huge birth-80 pound carseats.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 11th 06, 04:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

xkatx wrote:
Should I start shopping around to see if there's ANY seats that will fit all
together in my car?

This is the only way to know for sure....

I've heard people say to test it out first - before
buying a seat, take it to the car and ensure it fits and all that, but I'm
wondering if anyone has ever done that. Would a store allow you to take a
test seat out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car?

Depends on where you go. Babies R Us does.

Would a
staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your car while
you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and that particular
seat in your car?

Babies R Us does because they don't want you taking off with the model.
Also (at least our local one), they have a certified car seat installer
on heand to help you get the right fit.

Even worse, what on earth would a person do if NO seats
available in any store will fit in your car, properly, and allow for the
doors to be closed properly without smashing seats together or putting major
pressure and strain on the doors...

Other than getting a new vehicle, I have no idea how to handle this
unless you ride the bus everywhere instead. I'm guessing that isn't an
option, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

I hope you can find seats that will work!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old September 11th 06, 04:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

xkatx wrote:
[...]

I would call the public health centre car seat people and see if they
have suggestions for fitting 3 seats into whatever your particular car
is. I bet they've run into this issue before.
Maybe they'd have some advice on which seats would work better or come
up with an alternative for you.

Old September 11th 06, 05:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jennifer Massey-Howe

for my daughter we used the evenflo chase booster/toodler seat. it was a
front facing car seat with high back booster seat. This lasted her a year
and now we have changed to a no back booster. I'm in the US if this helps
any

Jennifer

Old September 11th 06, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Tracey

"xkatx" wrote in message
\ Would a store allow you to take a
test seat out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car? Would a
staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your car while
you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and that
particular seat in your car?

\

A baby specialty store will probably do this, but they probably won't
install it for you (Liability and all). If you buy your seat somewhere like
Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Target, etc. you can just buy the seat, take it home
and play with it in various locations in your car and in combination with
your other seats. If you aren't happy with how it fits, you can just return
it without any problems. CHances are, a store like Wal-Mart is not just
going to let you carry it out into the parking lot and try it in your car,
and they certainly aren't going to have anyone qualified or able to stand
around and wait for you to try it out befor you buy it.

Old September 11th 06, 11:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
xkatx wrote:

Should I start shopping around to see if there's ANY seats that will fit
all together in my car?

Of course. It's really the only way you'll be able
to figure it all out.

Haha well, yea, I guess that's kind of obvious...

I've heard people say to test it out first - before buying a seat, take
it to the car and ensure it fits and all that, but I'm wondering if
anyone has ever done that. Would a store allow you to take a test seat
out to see if it fits properly and safely in your car?

I've never been to one that wouldn't. You just have to
ask and you can generally take the model out. You can get an
approximation by measuring your back seat and measuring the
carseats.

At m.k and m.k.p, I believe, are the only places I've come across this -
which is where I got the idea from. I've never heard of it around here - by
talking to friends or family or anything. It just seems people buy the
seats that are within their price range and what they want.

Would a staff person have the time/be willing to go out with you to your
car while you fiddle around trying to see if you can install this and
that particular seat in your car?

Usually they don't, but I suppose some stores might want
someone to go with them. If they're concerned you'll make off
with it, I suspect most would just ask to hold your driver's
license or something like that.

Yea, leaving something behind to make sure I won't vanish or get abducted by
aliens is fair enough, and I don't mind doing that!
If they refuse, maybe I can offer to leave something behind - license, cell
phone, my children? (lol just joking... as tempting as that is ATM...)

Even worse, what on earth would a person do if NO seats available in any
store will fit in your car, properly, and allow for the doors to be
closed properly without smashing seats together or putting major pressure
and strain on the doors...

Most people I know in this situation have managed
to make it work, though sometimes it requires replacing
older seats with smaller ones. For instance, you might
need to go with a compact, backless booster for your son
(if that's not what you have already). You might well
not have room for one of the huge birth-80 pound carseats.

I really doubt I'm the only person who's had to deal with that (think
someone mentioned that elsewhere?)
I won't use a backless booster - only the high back booster chair - as I'm
still in the paranoia state with cars, accidents, seats... IME, if DS was in
just a regular booster with no back/head rest part, I know he would have
more than likely had his head chopped off, as the part that sliced his head
open hit partially on the booster seat, which in turn pushed the whole seat
over and took some of the impact of the door and window frame. Yes, I know
I still have issues with this, probably both reasonable AND unreasonable.
I do have to replace DD's current seat - it expires right away. It doesn't
really seem like there's much to go with for smaller sized seats - it seems
to me that with car seats, the norm is bigger is better, and they all seem
so darn big.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 11th 06, 11:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"sharalyns" wrote in message
oups.com...

xkatx wrote:
[...]

Maybe then I'll hit the Babies R Us - there's one that's a hop, skip and
jump away.

Even worse, what on earth would a person do if NO seats
available in any store will fit in your car, properly, and allow for the
doors to be closed properly without smashing seats together or putting
major
pressure and strain on the doors...

Other than getting a new vehicle, I have no idea how to handle this
unless you ride the bus everywhere instead. I'm guessing that isn't an
option, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

I hope you can find seats that will work!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Yes, new vehicle is most likely out of the question for a while. I can't
see the bus being any more convenient with a bunch of kids tagging along -
I'd take up just as many, if not more, seats with a giant double stroller
and all the kids dealing with them on the bus... Ugh... No way... I also
need car seats either way, no matter what. Still need car seats in your
vehicle or someone elses, and to say I'll never ride in a car again would be
absolutely crazy, as well, one way or another, there's going to be times
where we'd all need to go somewhere that a bus or something wouldn't make
sense (and park the car to take the bus)
I think I'll just shop around, and if Babies R Us does allow you to try out
a seat first, then that would be very helpful. They seem to have a good
variety of seats anyways

Do you support or advocate, morally or ethically [email protected] Spanking 7 March 24th 05 02:29 AM
Another child killed in kincare Kane Spanking 26 February 17th 04 05:30 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM