Potty Training (possible TMI)

Old May 19th 04, 02:45 AM
Krista

Default Potty Training (possible TMI)

A little backstory:

When my daughter was a newborn she freaked out every time she pooped because
it startled her. Eventually she learned to hold it and started having
constipation problems.

She would go stiff as a board and scream bloody murder every time she
pooped. We started taking her to the potty, which seemed to help. once she
started going regularly, we stopped making her sit on the potty to go.

So:

Over the winter holidays this past year we started potty learning with her
and for urination things are going great (about 98% of the time she makes
it). Poop is a whole other story.

She will not go in the potty unless she is already sitting there. When she
was still in pull-ups at night she would hold it and then go in her pull-up.
I thought they might be holding her back from being completely potty learned
and so this past Monday (a week ago yesterday) we got rid of them.

She did great the first few days, but even since Friday she's been waking up
from either her nap or in the morning with poop in her panties. I don't
know what to do. Help?

--
Krista Young
Devoted wife, loving mother

Old May 19th 04, 03:34 AM
Mamma Mia

"Krista" wrote in message
[...]

i am all for a bribe. Offer her a toy or a book or a whatever works for you
if she can do it. sounds like she probably can if she tried really hard!
it's a hard process, good luck

christine

Old May 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Nan

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:45:01 GMT, "Krista"
wrote:

She did great the first few days, but even since Friday she's been waking up
from either her nap or in the morning with poop in her panties. I don't
know what to do. Help?

We used the good old star chart and bribe method when my dd was
with-holding. Less than 4 days of rewarding her with a choc. kiss for
pooping in the toilet and she's not had a problem since then.

Nan
Old May 19th 04, 03:56 PM
Mary W.

wrote:

She did great the first few days, but even since Friday she's been waking up
from either her nap or in the morning with poop in her panties. I don't
know what to do. Help?

We used the good old star chart and bribe method when my dd was
with-holding. Less than 4 days of rewarding her with a choc. kiss for
pooping in the toilet and she's not had a problem since then.

You know, this worked OK for my daughter initially. But she's a
stubborn one and backslid so it stopped working. We laid off
the training for awhile (she was pee trained but poop was a whole
other story). We occaisionally tried to reintroduce the bribe (hershey
kiss, sucker). Our latest thing which seems to be working pretty
well is a sticker chart. I made a chart with 5 squares and her
picture on it (she likes that). Every poop she gets a sticker to put
on her chart. When the chart is full she gets to go to the store
and pick out a special candy or a small toy. I've now made her
charts with 7 squares. We've been doing this for awhile and
she will occaisionally backslide. At which point we put the chart
away. She'll then usually ask to have it back and start pooping on
the potty again. I think we are currently at our longest time without
an accident, but I'm just not convinced that she wont regress again,
so I'm hesitant to wean her off the chart.

So anyway, the sticker chart/bribe system seems to be working for
us, but I'm not sure what our next step should be.

Oh, and DD is three.

Mary

Old May 19th 04, 09:34 PM
Night Owl

She will not go in the potty unless she is already sitting there. When

she
was still in pull-ups at night she would hold it and then go in her

pull-up.
I thought they might be holding her back from being completely potty

learned
and so this past Monday (a week ago yesterday) we got rid of them.

She did great the first few days, but even since Friday she's been waking

up
from either her nap or in the morning with poop in her panties. I don't
know what to do. Help?

I do think training pants *can* be a problem for some kiddos. My dd
wouldn't go unless she was in regular undies or nothing. Nothing worked the
best at first.

We did alot alot alot of encouragement. I wouldn't call it a bribe unless
you use it that way and there were times we did I know. We tried to
encourage greatly and reward her behavior. She responded to happy dances!
But the best reward was her own sense of mastery which took awhile. Be
prepared for backslides though. Lazy little lilliputan here sometimes will
go on the floor when she doesn't have the time to run to the potty when
playing. Thankfully that hasn't happened very much.

Anni

Old May 20th 04, 12:43 AM
Krista

She will be four this summer.

--
Krista Young
Devoted wife, loving mother

"Alissa" wrote in message
How old is your DD?
Alissa
"Krista" wrote in message
[...]

potty training question - kinda long Stephanie Stowe General 26 April 21st 04 06:01 PM
Update - child-led potty training Cathy Weeks General 2 November 22nd 03 11:00 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM