Well, is this child abuse? I would say so!

Old January 3rd 04, 03:20 PM

Default Well, is this child abuse? I would say so!

In rec.pets.herp c1c0 wrote:
was waiting in the cave where lived several big anacondas. A big one entered
and attacked and constricted him. If it wasn't for the other members of the
team he would've been death now. One day there'll be noone to save him from
himself.

And he might very well have made sure he had people around the edges
(maybe not right in camera view) too to stop the croc if ti had tried
anything.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old January 3rd 04, 03:51 PM
Maurynna Kyrissaean

While I wouldn't classify this as child abuse, it's most definitely child
endangerment. He may have thought he had the croc under "complete control"
but bringing a 1 month old baby into that kind of an environment is
completely inappropriate. It was just a pathetic publicity stunt, and it
could've cost him his son's life if things hadn't gone just so.

I have never thought Steve Irwin was the brightest bulb in the pack, and
this just proves it.

Typical poor judgement on the part of the parent. But not child abuse. And
leave it to the American media to spin it up out of control as soon as
there's a BAYYYBEEE involved. Pathetic. There are many "******s" in this
situation...

Old January 3rd 04, 05:18 PM
york

"Liz" wrote in message . au...
"Rubystars" wrote in message
y.com...

"George Stillwell" wrote in message
snip

I think Steve knows what he's doing. It's not like he was dangling the

baby
over the crocodile.

I'm also not really clear on the details.. was Steve up on one of those
platforms, or really close to the croc?

-Rubystars

As well, Steve kind of "dances" the baby along the ground in the enclosure
near the pool but you can't see where the animal is.

thats a crock, pun intended. you can clearly see the animal in the
foreground of the shot as he walks the baby up to the pool.

I just think it was a really stupid thing to do in public.

i agree with that though.

john
Old January 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
Rubystars

"Liz" wrote in message
u...
"Rubystars" wrote in message
y.com...

"George Stillwell" wrote in message
snip

I think Steve knows what he's doing. It's not like he was dangling the

baby
over the crocodile.

I'm also not really clear on the details.. was Steve up on one of those
platforms, or really close to the croc?

-Rubystars

The footage shows him holding Bob sort of tucked under one arm (no head
support at all) and with meat held out for the croc in the other. As the
croc snaps at the food his jaws wouldn't be more than 2 feet from the

baby.
As well, Steve kind of "dances" the baby along the ground in the enclosure
near the pool but you can't see where the animal is.

I just think it was a really stupid thing to do in public. Surely someone
might have pointed out to him that people would have an issue with seeing

1 month old being hauled around in an enclosure with a rather large croc.
All the more seeing that one young man was recently killed rather nastily

by
a wild croc that had his 2 friends treed overnight while it moved around
underneath. He seemed very less-than-impressed on TV tonight about the

fuss
being made.

Liz

Since I posted last night, I saw the video.

I think he made a serious blunder, but it did look like the kid was kept
safe (when I watched the video, Murray had just gone back into the water and
was a good ways away when Steve was walking his son along the ground).
Still, one slip and things could've gone badly. I'm hoping he'll have a
little more media savvy now that he's upset people.

I'm sure in Steve's mind, he thought people would think it was endearing for
his son to be involved in the action with him.

-Rubystars

Old January 3rd 04, 07:07 PM
c1c0

ha scritto nel messaggio
In rec.pets.herp c1c0 wrote:
was waiting in the cave where lived several big anacondas. A big one

entered
and attacked and constricted him. If it wasn't for the other members of

the
team he would've been death now. One day there'll be noone to save him

from
himself.

And he might very well have made sure he had people around the edges
(maybe not right in camera view) too to stop the croc if ti had tried
anything.

Alice

He'll probably have an accident when there's no cameraman or anybody else,
if it's that what he's doing also in his freetime.

Anna

Old January 3rd 04, 07:16 PM
JULIAN HALES

"Rubystars" wrote in message
y.com...

"Liz" wrote in message
u...
"Rubystars" wrote in message
[...]

has anyone seen the followup interview with him? i have, wish he was my dad

Old January 3rd 04, 07:30 PM
c1c0

What did he say?

Anna

Old January 3rd 04, 07:32 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"c1c0" wrote:

ha scritto nel messaggio
In rec.pets.herp c1c0 wrote:
was waiting in the cave where lived several big anacondas. A big one

entered
and attacked and constricted him. If it wasn't for the other members of

the
team he would've been death now. One day there'll be noone to save him

from
himself.

And he might very well have made sure he had people around the edges
(maybe not right in camera view) too to stop the croc if ti had tried
anything.

Alice

He'll probably have an accident when there's no cameraman or anybody else,
if it's that what he's doing also in his freetime.

Anna

not a great idea but the news frenzy on this is just one more example of
how the media caters to a break and circuses moronic public

given the really important issues in the US alone e.g. our bank records
and other financial records can now be perused by the police without a
warrant and our being notified [signed by Bush the day Saddam was
captured - calculatively to avoid any press]

e.g. having exported most manufacturing jobs, white collar jobs are now
being exported at a great rate assuring that our children will live in a
third world country

e.g. social security is being destroyed by a burgeoning debt

e.g. 46 million Americans don't have medical insurance

e.g. global climate changes continue unabated

etc etc etc

but what we really want are silly stories about Lacy Peterson [who
cares?] and alligator boy, and Kobe and Michael -- [who cares?]

these tawdry little nickel dime stories are nothing but porn for the
masses -- and have no significance for our lives or our future
Old January 3rd 04, 07:47 PM
Rubystars

"JULIAN HALES" wrote in message
snip
has anyone seen the followup interview with him? i have, wish he was my
dad

Where did you see it?

-Rubystars

Old January 3rd 04, 07:50 PM

In rec.pets.herp c1c0 wrote:
He'll probably have an accident when there's no cameraman or anybody else,
if it's that what he's doing also in his freetime.

And how do you know he would do that without other people there to back
him up? It's a bit presumptious to assume he would.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.