infant care question

Old May 18th 04, 03:54 AM
Akuvikate

Default infant care question

cara wrote in message link.net...
(she has 2 young sons and
is a SAHM).

If nanny shares are as common in your area as they are in ours, that
might be the best way to find a fair rate. We're looking to do a
shared nanny situation with 1-2 other families and in a very high cost
of living area. I've found rates to be remarkably consistent (though
I only have one data point for 3 kids).
$11-12/hour for one kid
$8-9/hour per kid for two kids
$6-7/hour per kid for three kids

Since she'll presumably be watching her two sons at the same time she
takes care of your baby, I think a nanny share is a more appropriate
comparison than a daycare or one-on-one nanny. If you have a
childcare referral agency in your area you could check their files if
they have people looking for shared nannys and see what the going
rates are.

Kate
and the Bug, 11 months
Old May 18th 04, 05:59 AM
cara

Irene wrote:
"Mary W." wrote in message ...

cara wrote:

Around here, I'd say 10-13$ an hour is the going rate for nanny care.

I don't know what the in home day care rate is.

That's a good point - are you trying to compare nanny rates or
home-based day care? Is she looking to add more kids, or just yours?
Since a nanny is just caring for your kid(s) you pay more because it
isn't spread out over multiple kids.

Around here (far north suburban Chicago), full-time home based daycare
ranges from 130-150/wk. For part-time, I suspect everyone has
slightly different policies. (And it's difficult to find!) My dcp
will do hourly, but after 5 hours, it's a per-day rate. ($36/day,
$130/wk) I'm not sure bout nanny prices, but I know one person who
pays $10/hr.

HTH,

Irene

Thanks for posting the rates in your area - this is about what I had
been prepared to pay, maybe a bit less for part time. I need to call
around and get 'going rates' in our area. Its hard because its not a
typical daycare situation or home care necessarily.

cara

Old May 18th 04, 06:01 AM
cara

Elizabeth Reid wrote:

cara wrote in message link.net...

When we get one of the workers at our day care to baby-sit, they
seem to charge a standard $10 an hour. However, your stated rate
of $500 a month for full-time infant care is *much* less than I'm
paying (for top-notch care, but still) so it could be that your
area is less expensive.

Beth

I should clarify that the 500-700$ a month I quoted was actually for
preschool and not infant care, which I know tends to be quite a bit
more. I am hoping to pay under 10 an hour, but we'll see.

cara

Old May 18th 04, 06:58 PM
Mary W.

cara wrote:

Irene wrote:
"Mary W." wrote in message ...

cara wrote:

[...]

Its not typical daycare, but she will also be watching her kids, so
I'd expect to pay less than I would for nanny care (and if we
had shared a nanny, I would have expected to pay less than
13$ an hour). So you can probably go somewhere between
what the home daycare charges and what a nanny in your
area charges.

Mary