Washington -- Foster kids' voices inspire change

Old November 13th 07, 02:11 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Washington -- Foster kids' voices inspire change

Foster kids' voices inspire change

By BOBBE J. BRIDGE
GUEST COLUMNIST

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...terkids13.html

"Cheryl" could never forget she was a foster child, not even for a day.
From the separation from her brothers and sisters to not being able to
obtain a driver's license, being a foster child came with a sense of
alienation. "You feel alone, on the outside as if no one is there for
you, and you are the only one."

We may think that all needs of foster children are met by the state, but
it's only by listening to foster children that we learn the harsh
reality of the state's deficiencies as a parent. Only then do we hear
about the struggle of foster youths who reach 18 and have no place to go
and little or no mentoring about how to proceed successfully into adulthood.

Only by listening to foster youths do we learn that their No. 1 concern
is being separated from their siblings. Only by listening to foster
youths do we learn that small steps to make them feel "normal" make all
the difference -- such as the ability to sleep over at a friend's house,
or drive to a movie on their own.

That's why the Supreme Court Commission on Children in Foster Care and
Casey Family Programs established an annual Foster Youth and Alumni
Leadership Summit -- to help those youths tell their stories and for us
to hear of their day-to-day lives in foster care.

In the first summit last year, 46 foster teens and alumni gathered to
work on developing their voices. They created a list of recommendations
to state lawmakers, three of which became law this year. The second
annual summit was held last month in the city of SeaTac with 80 current
and former foster youths.

Foster youths want to be involved in improving the system. They have
formed regional foster support groups throughout the state. They are
bright, active, well-spoken young people, and we need them at the table
when decisions are being made.

It is our goal that lawmakers, judges and administrators will listen
when those young leaders come forward. Foster youths are the primary
consumers of the foster care service we offer. Their consumer voices are
critical to making good business decisions on the kind and quality of
services to be provided.

More than 9,700 children and teens in Washington live in foster care.
Statistics show that about 10 percent will "age out" of the system by
reaching their 18th year of life with out ever returning to their
families or being adopted. Foster children in Washington remain in
foster care an average of 22 months, a significant amount of time for
young people growing and developing so quickly.

We can hear the voices of foster youths only if we give them an
opportunity to speak. It's too easy for administrators, legislators,
judges and others to make decisions about the lives of foster youths
without ever speaking with them. We want what's best for foster youths,
but that doesn't mean we always know what that is -- not without letting
those youths have a voice in those decisions.

One foster youth said it best: "I would like the youths in the system to
know that they are not alone. People care for us and want to help those
that need support. I feel the best support we have is each other."
Outgoing Washington Supreme Court Justice Bobbe J. Bridge chairs the
court's Foster Care Commission. Next she will serve as the founding
president of the Center for Children and Youth Justice, a non-profit
organization leading the MacArthur Foundation's Work in Washington.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

Imagine that, 6.4 children die at the hands of the very agencies that
are supposed to protect them and only 1.5 at the hands of parents per
100,000 children. CPS perpetrates more abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse
and kills more children then parents in the United States. If the
citizens of this country hold CPS to the same standards that they hold
parents too. No judge should ever put another child in the hands of ANY
government agency because CPS nationwide is guilty of more harm and
death than any human being combined. CPS nationwide is guilty of more
human rights violations and deaths of children then the homes from which
they were removed. When are the judges going to wake up and see that
they are sending children to their death and a life of abuse when
children are removed from safe homes based on the mere opinion of a
bunch of social workers.

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...