good insurance for child

Old December 5th 03, 04:49 PM
1qa2ws

Default good insurance for child

Hi,

I am not from US and I don't know the system here. Please help me. I'm
looking for a not expencive and good health insurance for my 2 months child.
We live in St. Louis, MO. This insurance must cover:
- immunizations
- at least one visit in pediathrian per month
There should not be any deductibles if it is possible. Please suggest me
some insurance, thanks.

Daniel

Old December 5th 03, 11:43 PM
Jeff

Congratulations on the birth of your child!

How did the delivery go? What did you do for insurance for the delivery?

Anyway, the medical schools in Saint Louis usually have free or low cost
clinics for kids. I would call them and make an appointment. Children whose
parents don't have insurance are eligible in many cases for insurance
through the state. However, say you, your child and wife were going to move
overseas, like Poland, permanently in 3 or 4 months. In that case, you might
be ok just visiting the clinic.

In addition, most urban areas have free clinics where you can go and get
reduced-cost or free vaccines. So if you can't get free vaccines at the
medical school, you should be able to get free vaccines from the vaccine
clinic (usually run by the county or state health department).

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jeff

Old December 8th 03, 01:34 PM
Wendy

1qa2ws wrote:
I am not from US and I don't know the system here. Please help me. I'm
looking for a not expencive and good health insurance for my 2 months child.
We live in St. Louis, MO. This insurance must cover:
- immunizations
- at least one visit in pediathrian per month
There should not be any deductibles if it is possible.

Why does your child have to go to the doctor 12 times a year?

Nearly all plans have at least a small deductible simply to keep people
from over-using the benefit. For example, if you have to pay $15 to go to
the doctor you are less likely to do it for something minor that you
really ought to just handle on your own.

A better benefit would be a "nurse's hotline" or some such thing where you
can call in and ask questions that new parents have.

Others are correct: children of impoverished parents have access to
state-sponsored free plans and/or free health clinics. Do some calling
around, or ask at your University's support services for grad students.

Why aren't you on the University's health insurance? I recall that your
wife's pregnancy wasn't covered because she was pregnant before you
started at the University, but surely your child must be covered under a
plan available to you?

Wendy