Just a question...

Old March 24th 07, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Just a question...

I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the way
you like best every time, what way would that be? And why? What about
least favorite?

I just ask because today I was laying in bed with DD2 feeding her. It's not
too often during the day that I'm able to actually do that, seeing as
there's other older kids I must contend with during the day. I was very
much enjoying laying on my side, with DD2 on her side as well facing me -
like belly to belly. It was just so comfortable, calming and just soothing,
I guess. I really think if I could feed her one way all the time, I'd lay
down in bed with her while I curled up and have her right against me laying
beside me.
I think I just hate trying to feed in a hard chair/bench/similar, and I'm
not too crazy at all for that "football" hold (even when she was smaller and
could actually fit like that without flopping everywhere from being too long
and heavy!)

Anyone else have any other positions or places that they like best? I'm
just curious and thinking maybe I could get some other ideas from others of
ways that might work for me as well!

Old March 24th 07, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"xkatx" wrote in message
I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the way
you like best every time, what way would that be? And why? What about
least favorite?

My favorite is the cradle hold in the recliner. I find that the most
comfortable for me and the most comforting for the baby.

I'm usually in all kinds of crazy assed positions now because they like to
nurse at the same time so there are body parts flopping all over the place.
Sometimes I do cross cradle and sometimes I do a version of the football
hold.

At night I nurse one at a time sidelying. It is best at night because I'm
so sleepy but that position hurts my shoulder/arm and if I stay that way
long enough my hips start to hurt too. I am old and creaky, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old March 24th 07, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On 24 mar, 01:21, "xkatx" wrote:
I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed?

I use to feed my little Jim while it's in the baby sling.
have you ever tried this kind of wraps?

It's so comfortable for me and for him!
More, I can nurse discreetly in public... well, if you appear
confident about it!

Noe
mama to Jim, 6 months old

Old March 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

FYI, www.kangaroocarrier.net is a nice place to choose a baby
sling...
More, they have a nice cartoon kangaroo wrapping!

Noe
mama to Jim, 6 months old

Old March 24th 07, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

On Mar 23, 8:21�pm, "xkatx" wrote:
I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? *Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the way
you like best every time, what way would that be? *And why? *What about
least favorite?

For me it changes with the age of the child. I love lying down with
newborns. When we are up and about it is usually a cradle hold. Once
they are big enough I prefer that they straddle my lap and sit
upright. I don't like them standing on their heads, etc.!

Leslie

Old March 24th 07, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 23, 8:21?pm, "xkatx" wrote:
I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the way
you like best every time, what way would that be? And why? What about
least favorite?

For me it changes with the age of the child. I love lying down with
newborns. When we are up and about it is usually a cradle hold. Once
they are big enough I prefer that they straddle my lap and sit
upright. I don't like them standing on their heads, etc.!

Leslie

lol My apologies... That last "standing on their heads" part just reminded
me of an email my mom had... It was called something like "Why Mother's
Can't Do Yoga" and it showed the mom doing some yoga and standing on her
head. Then a little crawling baby comes around the corner, crawls to the
mom (who is still on her head doing the yoga stuff) and the baby goes to the
mom, pulls her shirt up over her head and latches on for a quick snack,
while the mom is still upside down lol
Not sure if anyone else saw it, but that last part just reminded me of it
lol

Old March 24th 07, 07:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 24 mar, 01:21, "xkatx" wrote:
I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed?

I use to feed my little Jim while it's in the baby sling.
have you ever tried this kind of wraps?

It's so comfortable for me and for him!
More, I can nurse discreetly in public... well, if you appear
confident about it!

Noe
mama to Jim, 6 months old

I do have a baby wrap that I absolutely love for carrying and wearing DD2
(even DD1 every now and then!) but for feeding, I kind of find it a pain.
Maybe I'm not wrapping her up in a good way, but I found a handsfree nursing
wrap online... I just find it's hard to actually nurse as she tends to pull
off or something. She also seems to find it very funny and will sit there
smiling at me! And maybe there's an easier way, but with the wrap I have
and the wrapping technique I tried, it seems to be more of a PITA because I
have to yank her out to burp (even at 5 months, if she doesn't burp she'll
puke up everything about 10 minutes after finishing, it seems) and then
getting her back in is a pain because I have to unwrap myself and re-wrap
with her again. I find I spend more time wrapping than feeding, as it seems
she'll only nurse for a regular feed for about 10 minutes MAX per side.

I do keep my eye out for any good ways to wear her to nurse with what I
have, though. When I have a chance to actually sit and browse sites, I will
definitely check that link you gave out!

Old March 25th 07, 11:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article Y9_Mh.6130$x9.4374@edtnps89, "xkatx" wrote:

I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the way
you like best every time, what way would that be? And why?

I like DS2 to lie in my lap, head in the crook of my elbow, while I'm in this
chair in front of my computer :-)

What about least favorite?

ATM, lying down. I've given myself an overuse injury by carrying DS2 too much
on my left arm, so lying down is somewhat uncomfortable.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old March 25th 07, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article Y9_Mh.6130$x9.4374@edtnps89, "xkatx" wrote:

I was wondering... What way do you find to be the most comfortable or
comforting way to feed? Like, if it was possible for you to nurse the
way
you like best every time, what way would that be? And why?

I like DS2 to lie in my lap, head in the crook of my elbow, while I'm in
this
chair in front of my computer :-)

What about least favorite?

ATM, lying down. I've given myself an overuse injury by carrying DS2 too
much
on my left arm, so lying down is somewhat uncomfortable.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Up till a few months ago, I used to prefer having DD lying on a nursing
pillow with me at my computer chair. But now she's too big (13 months) so I
prefer lying down. Also, a fair proportion of her feeds are now before bed
or nap, so it's convenient.

Liz

Old March 26th 07, 10:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

At night I nurse one at a time sidelying. It is best at night because I'm
so sleepy but that position hurts my shoulder/arm and if I stay that way
long enough my hips start to hurt too. I am old and creaky, lol.

I would count myself as a disabled breastfeeder, and sidelying was the only
way we got through breastfeeding. I don't think old and creaky has anything
to do with it, it's more a matter or working out what works, then putting
pillows and what not such that that position is comfortable. If it's not
something that's necessary for you, you often don't need to work through
those steps and figure out how to make it possible, but there is a huge
range of what you can do and things you can use to support it.

Anne