Cops: Mom Hit Girl, 1

Old July 5th 03, 04:33 PM

Default Cops: Mom Hit Girl, 1

Cops: Mom Hit Girl, 1

By Keiko Morris-
STAFF WRITER-
July 5, 2003-
A Queens woman who police say slapped and punched her 1-year-old daughter
in a Hempstead parking lot while shoppers yelled at her to stop was charged
Friday with endangering the welfare of a child, Nassau police said. Candace
Phillips, 27, of 10926 126th St., Ozone Park, had been standing in line
with her daughter in the Old Navy store on Fulton Avenue at about 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday when she became agitated for some reason, possibly because of the
long lines, said Det. Lt. Kevin Smith, a Nassau police spokesman. Phillips
threw down her merchandise, he said, grabbed her child and dragged her
almost backward out of the store, causing the child to hit a clothing rack
and knock it onto the floor. Other shoppers watched as Phillips threw the
child into her 1992 Toyota Tercel. The child struck the car door as she was
tossed into the car and began to cry, police said. Then, Phillips slapped
and punched the child about her body, witnesses told police. The other
shoppers yelled for Phillips to stop, Smith said. They told her that they
were calling police and that they were taking down her license plate
number. She cursed at them and drove away, police said. Hempstead Village
police, Nassau Third Squad detectives and Nassau Bureau of Special
Operations officers launched an investigation and arrested her Friday at
12:45 a.m. at her home. Nassau's Child Protective Services temporarily took
custody of the child and then placed her with a relative. Phillips'
brother, however, said that he saw no bruises on his niece and that he had
never witnessed his sister hit her child. "The only thing I've seen her do
is verbally reprimand her child," said Stephen Phillips, of Elmont. Her
brother said that police had come by his and his mother's home looking for
Phillips earlier this week. And he still did not know exactly what happened
Wednesday evening. "We were raised with morals and I wouldn't tolerate that
abuse," Stephen Phillips said. Candace Phillips was arraigned in First
District Court in Hempstead Friday and ordered held on $4,000 bail.

Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc.
http://tinyurl.com/g3ai
Old July 6th 03, 03:33 AM
billy f

Default Mom Hit Girl, 1

If this happened the way the wittedness stated this mothers is in serious
need of counseling. I'm concerned with the fact that the mother was never
seen spanking her child prior to this. Could this buildup of emotions from
not spanking her child contributed to this incident? Its really hard to say
for sure. This story seems a little far fetched, but I think the mother
needs some help managing her anger as well as her child.