Ultra compact stroller

Old November 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Ultra compact stroller

Hi all,

A friend of mine just told us that they were pregnant with their first
child... and now he's running around spending tons of money buying up
things that they think the baby will need. Anyway, they also bought a
new (tiny) car two months ago. They own a Toyota Yaris hatchback.
There's no way our Graco Metrolite will fit in the "trunk". And the
back seat needs to be up right to hold the infant seat.

Does anyone know of a compact stroller that he should look at? Not
neccesarily light, just smaller volume so it fits in a small place.

The Graco Mosaic claims to be compact but it doesn't look like it would
be all that small.

Any advice on stroller models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old November 20th 06, 07:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

A friend of mine just told us that they were pregnant with their first
child... and now he's running around spending tons of money buying up
things that they think the baby will need. Anyway, they also bought a
new (tiny) car two months ago. They own a Toyota Yaris hatchback.
There's no way our Graco Metrolite will fit in the "trunk". And the
back seat needs to be up right to hold the infant seat.

Does anyone know of a compact stroller that he should look at? Not
neccesarily light, just smaller volume so it fits in a small place.

The Graco Mosaic claims to be compact but it doesn't look like it would
be all that small.

Any advice on stroller models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

In the beginning, they would probably benefit from using a Universal Car
Seat Stroller, like this
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Kolcraf...00322BLACK0000
which is basically a stroller base that attaches to almost any car seat. As
long as the baby is in the "bucket" style seat, this should work.

Now, once the baby is too large for that car seat, then they would need to
purchase something else -- perhaps a larger car? In some ways, a larger car
is as much as a baby necessity as a stroller or car seat or crib.
--
Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old November 20th 06, 11:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Peg

Are you in the UK?

The smallest (or sure near the smallest) pushchair available in the UK is
the Quinny Zapp. It folds to 69x27x30cm. You can take out the toddler seat
and put a maxi-cosi infant carseat/carrier on the chassis which would last
baby until they were 13kg and then swap to the toddler seat.

I have the Zapp but never used the carseat on the chassis. It's a great
buggy to push but won't be great across muddy fields!

http://www.quinny.com/

You can buy them in Mothercare but you can save a bit if you look on Ebay.

Hope this helps!

Peg

Old November 21st 06, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Liz

Hi Kevin,
This doesn't answer your question, but it might be something to consider. We
also have a small car, and neither of the strollers we've had will fit in
the boot/trunk. But we rarely use a stroller. We use a sling or a baby
bjorn, and on the odd occasion we really want to use both the car and the
stroller, we put it on the roof rack. This would be a pain if we did it
often, but it's ok for occasional use.
Cheers,
Liz

Old November 21st 06, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
CY

Have they considered an umbrella stroller? Of course, these are better for
slightly bigger babies, but until then, I would think the sling would be
suffice??

Old November 21st 06, 05:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Liz wrote:
Hi Kevin,
This doesn't answer your question, but it might be something to consider. We
also have a small car, and neither of the strollers we've had will fit in
the boot/trunk. But we rarely use a stroller. We use a sling or a baby
bjorn, and on the odd occasion we really want to use both the car and the
stroller, we put it on the roof rack. This would be a pain if we did it
often, but it's ok for occasional use.
Cheers,
Liz

Liz,

We talked about a roof rack, possibly a Yakima or Thule luggage
carrier. Most of their driving is in city, so it would just be short
rides to a mall I guess. We have used 2-3 different sling carriers for
both our babies and they seemed to like it. The only problem with a
sling is transferring a baby into it from a car seat in winter at -50F
;-) A pumpkin seat can be plucked out of the base from the car and
dropped into a stroller, while maintaining the babies cozy lil
environment. The sling is a good option though - thanks.

Kevin

Old November 21st 06, 06:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Have they considered an umbrella stroller? Of course, these are better
for
slightly bigger babies, but until then, I would think the sling would be
suffice??

we actually found that these are more difficult to fit into a small car as
they folded size is usually longer, but a lot narrower than other types of
stroller, and ours only fit by careful angling and pushing. The advantage is
though that if you have to, they can usually fit between the front and back
seats. If there is only one child see if the back seats will go down in two
parts and put one part of the back seat down.

Bizarrely because of they way they fold, the a tandem stroller fitted in our
VW Polo, when even the umbrella type was a struggle, I suspect that there
are slightly smaller umbrella strollers, but 10cm would make all the
difference. Look at strollers that fold the same way as a tandem, which is
no compression widthways and kind of a squashed letter "z" the other way,
then stand that on it's side in the boot, with a hatch back, the width of a
stroller isn't likely to be too high for the parcel shelf (and that's
another option, ditch the parcel shelf).

Cheers

Anne

Old November 21st 06, 01:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Debbie Harrison

Try the Combi Dash
http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/Selli...ct=2562&cms=91

I have not used this pushchair but I do have the Combi WE2 and I love it. It
is v. light even with my 2yr old and baby in it.

A friend of mine has the Combi Dash. She chose that one as she needs to use
public transport. It folds up very small and has a shoulder strap so she can
carry her son and the pushchair onto the bus with ease.

HTH

Debbie