Is she getting enough protein?

Old May 24th 07, 02:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Is she getting enough protein?

We're not really vegetarians, but DH is strongly opposed to giving DD
meat now. I'm trying to figure out what foods to give her to include
protein. She's 10.5 months, on 3 solids meals per day (most days), but
she doesn't eat a ton. Our menu looks like this:

B'fast - museli OR semolina OR mixed grain cereal + BM + a bit of
yoghurt and fruit mixed in.

lunch - 3 cubes of veggies
snack - teething biscuit, occasional cheerios
dinner - 2 cubes of veggies, more if she is still hungry (often she's
not), sometimes bread if we're having it, or some fruit + yoghurt

The veggies we've tried a
sweet potato
mustard greens
cauliflower
acorn squash
zucchini
carrot
peas
broccoli
asparagus
eggplant
avocado

fruits a papaya, mango, blueberries, peaches (she hates bananas)

We've tried tofu but she vomitted 4 times that night. Not sure if it
was the tofu but I want to wait to try again.
She's played with pasta, but not sure she's actually eaten it. We've
given her stuff from our plates but it's usually either too spicy or
not yet OK for her to try. She gets probably 1-2 tblspns whole fat
yoghurt per day, mixed in with other foods.

She's had *some* beans, but I'm hesitant to give a lot as she already
has painful gas from time to time (can't pinpoint it to any of the
above foods). I am sure there are foods which counteract the gas from
legumes, but what are they?

I will try egg yolks soon, but what else?

Which cheese would work? The cheeses we have on hand are not
appropriate (gruyere- she tried it but too strong; Boursin - has
pepper which she doesn't like; other soft French cheeses which are not
always pasteurized so I'm leery of giving them and they're strong
too).

She's still nursed on demand on the weekends and evenings. She is
given two bottles at daycare but takes at most 3-4 oz during the day,
but will usually drink a few more ounces on the way home.

Old May 24th 07, 11:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

easy answer, yes!

even if she did eat meat, it would be in small quantities and it's not the
highest protein food around.

Get a small packet of a milder cheese and try her on that. Personally, I did
eggs all together, I was minimally concerned about allergies and I think the
guideline is 9mths for yolk and a year for whites, so I split the
difference! I'd wait another couple of weeks and go for the whole thing, egg
yolk is quite a strong taste, so alone could easily be rejected, whereas
scrambled eggs went down a treat with both of mine not long before their
first birthdays.

Cheers

Anne

Old May 25th 07, 12:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
cjra wrote:

Which cheese would work? The cheeses we have on hand are not
appropriate (gruyere- she tried it but too strong; Boursin - has
pepper which she doesn't like; other soft French cheeses which are not
always pasteurized so I'm leery of giving them and they're strong
too).

Wow, Gruyere is too strong? Are you sure? Hmmm, we have an ashed soft blue
on the table atm so maybe we're not the norm...

My kids have always had cheese slices. That means a mild cheddar here. Avoid
processed cheese (wrapped slices or sticks) -- it's full of fat and salt and
not much actual cheese.

Soft cheeses: cottage cheese, quark, ricotta, farm cheese, bocconcini, cheap
Brie and Camembert from Denmark in tins.
Firm cheeses: mozzarella, haloumi, provolone dolce, Jarlsberg/Swiss, Edam,
Gouda, Port Salut, mild cheddars -- anything yellow really (as opposed to
blue, I mean).
Hard cheeses might be a bit difficult to chew!

AFAIK unpasteurised cheeses don't pose a health risk - they've just been
allowed into Australia after our quarantine service reassessed the risks.

Mmmmm, cheese...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old May 25th 07, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

Chookie wrote:

Soft cheeses: cottage cheese, quark, ricotta, farm cheese,
bocconcini, cheap Brie and Camembert from Denmark in tins.

My son used to eat a tub of cottage cheese in the way he'd eat a tub of
yoghurt!

--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 92cm, 13kg and still BF

Old May 25th 07, 02:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On May 25, 6:22 am, Chookie wrote:
In article . com,

cjra wrote:
Which cheese would work? The cheeses we have on hand are not
appropriate (gruyere- she tried it but too strong; Boursin - has
pepper which she doesn't like; other soft French cheeses which are not
always pasteurized so I'm leery of giving them and they're strong
too).

Wow, Gruyere is too strong? Are you sure? Hmmm, we have an ashed soft blue
on the table atm so maybe we're not the norm...

Well, maybe she just didn't like it because it wasn't too her taste.
She spit it out (much to my Swiss IL's dismay ;-))

My kids have always had cheese slices. That means a mild cheddar here. Avoid
processed cheese (wrapped slices or sticks) -- it's full of fat and salt and
not much actual cheese.
Soft cheeses: cottage cheese, quark, ricotta, farm cheese, bocconcini, cheap
Brie and Camembert from Denmark in tins.
Firm cheeses: mozzarella, haloumi, provolone dolce, Jarlsberg/Swiss, Edam,
Gouda, Port Salut, mild cheddars -- anything yellow really (as opposed to
blue, I mean).
Hard cheeses might be a bit difficult to chew!

AFAIK unpasteurised cheeses don't pose a health risk - they've just been
allowed into Australia after our quarantine service reassessed the risks.

We've had the occasional listeria case here so I'm a little bit
paranoid. DH and I tend to buy soft French cheeses (a small fortune in
the US, which is annoying, but oh well) and I love blue so always
have that. I'm eating my fill at the moment . All the others sound
good though. We did try cottage cheese and she wasn't too keen, but
maybe we'll try again.

Mmmmm, cheese...

I had so much when I was 14-16 weeks pg in Switzerland that I was
convinced DD would either come out loving it or hating it.

Old May 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Chookie wrote:

Soft cheeses: cottage cheese, quark, ricotta, farm cheese, bocconcini, cheap
Brie and Camembert from Denmark in tins.
Firm cheeses: mozzarella, haloumi, provolone dolce, Jarlsberg/Swiss, Edam,
Gouda, Port Salut, mild cheddars -- anything yellow really (as opposed to
blue, I mean).

Oh man, I wish I could still eat cheese. The list alone makes me drool,
but I'm stuck with the one kind of lactose free cheese available here,
there's a stall at the market that sells cheese old enough to not
contain much lactose anymore but boy it's expensive. The last slice I
bought was nearly €6 and it was not a huge slice either...

*sigh* in my next life I will be born in switzerland and not be lactose
intollerant.

cu
nicole
Old May 25th 07, 03:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On May 25, 8:33 am, NL wrote:
Chookie wrote:
Soft cheeses: cottage cheese, quark, ricotta, farm cheese, bocconcini, cheap
Brie and Camembert from Denmark in tins.
Firm cheeses: mozzarella, haloumi, provolone dolce, Jarlsberg/Swiss, Edam,
Gouda, Port Salut, mild cheddars -- anything yellow really (as opposed to
blue, I mean).

Oh man, I wish I could still eat cheese. The list alone makes me drool,
but I'm stuck with the one kind of lactose free cheese available here,
there's a stall at the market that sells cheese old enough to not
contain much lactose anymore but boy it's expensive. The last slice I
bought was nearly €6 and it was not a huge slice either...

*sigh* in my next life I will be born in switzerland and not be lactose
intollerant.

Oh, sorry you can't have cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, but can
generally handle cheese ok.Depends on the type of cheese. I just can't
have milk or ice cream.

Old May 25th 07, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

cjra wrote:
On May 25, 8:33 am, NL wrote:

*sigh* in my next life I will be born in switzerland and not be lactose
intollerant.

Oh, sorry you can't have cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, but can
generally handle cheese ok.Depends on the type of cheese. I just can't
have milk or ice cream.

It sucks doesn't it? I can manage _some_ cheese, but only small ammounts
and since it's only me and my son and he doesn't like cheese...

I'm just glad we have lactose free plain yoghurt and sometimes lactose
free whole milk at the local supermarket. I love Zadziki (However that's
spelled) and I make my own, I just bought an icecream maker off ebay
(€20+shipping) so I'll be able to make my own icecream this summer. I
love sorbets, but the ones in the stores usually have either lactose or
cream added (and with the later that isn't even sorbet for me anymore).
I have some really jummie mango sorbet in the freezer right now (recipe
he http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/005119lime_mango_sorbet.php)

cu
nicole
Old May 26th 07, 03:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article . com,
cjra wrote:

[...]

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

My daughter loves chunks of parmesan! She doesn't chew them much, really
just lets them melt in her mouth. Just a supermarket parmesan, so not as
strong as some, but a fair bit stronger than gruyere. She doesn't like swiss
so much, so maybe it's not a question of how strong or mild it is, just the
particular flavour.

Liz

Advanced Whey Protein Ezee Kids Health 0 January 2nd 06 03:48 AM
Protein in urine kazh Pregnancy 4 April 14th 05 11:25 PM
speaking of protein in urine Mamma Mia Pregnancy 5 April 8th 05 09:49 PM
Protein sqyre Pregnancy 2 May 27th 04 04:35 PM
Q?: Protein in = Protein out? chris Breastfeeding 7 April 10th 04 05:22 AM