Ovulating while breastfeeding

Old September 12th 07, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Default Ovulating while breastfeeding

Is there anyway to encourage ovulation while breastfeeding? DS is 15
months old. We haven't followed the rules of LAM since he was a few
weeks old, yet my period hasn't returned. I am down to breastfeeding
only once or twice in the evening, and then at night. There is
usually at least a 12-14 hour gap during the day with no BF-ing
whatsoever.

My period returned 10 months after having DD, and I was breastfeeding
more at that time than I am now. We'd like to have another baby, but
I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding (don't know if DS would let
me!) in order to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS 6-2-06

Old September 14th 07, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
Carlye wrote:

Is there anyway to encourage ovulation while breastfeeding? DS is 15
months old. We haven't followed the rules of LAM since he was a few
weeks old, yet my period hasn't returned. I am down to breastfeeding
only once or twice in the evening, and then at night. There is
usually at least a 12-14 hour gap during the day with no BF-ing
whatsoever.

My period returned 10 months after having DD, and I was breastfeeding
more at that time than I am now. We'd like to have another baby, but
I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding (don't know if DS would let
me!) in order to do that. Any ideas?

My period didn't return until my haemoglobin levels were normal (18 and 15mo
respectively). How is your iron?

I must say that a 4-year gap between children has worked out really well for
us so far :-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 14th 07, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

On Sep 13, 6:28 pm, Larry Mcmahan wrote:

Are you saying your period has not returned yet, at 15 mos?

Yes. And though the ability to wear white suits to work all summer
without worry was lovely, I'm ready to be back to normal! )

There is a light technique which has worked for a few of Monika's
friends...

Sleep for a Week with the light in your bedroom off,
followed a week with a dim light,
followed by a week with full light,
followed by a week with dim light.
Repeat.

Since you probably already sleep in the dark, you can start with week 2.

This is not a joke? I have never heard of this... I can't do the
full light, but I might try just alternating dim and off.
Interesting.

Thanks, Larry!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS 6-2-06

Old September 14th 07, 02:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

On Sep 14, 7:33 am, Chookie wrote:
My period didn't return until my haemoglobin levels were normal (18 and 15mo
respectively). How is your iron?

I don't know how my levels are. I'd assume they're good, since I
still take prenatal vitamins and just tend to gravitate toward a lot
of iron-rich foods, but I haven't been tested. At my annual physical
next month, I'll be sure to ask for a blood draw!

I must say that a 4-year gap between children has worked out really well for
us so far :-)

Yeah, I know a larger gap isn't the end of the world, but I like the
20-month gap between my two, and although I didn't mind widening it a
bit, I didn't want to widen it that much. I was hoping to have the
flexibility to have at least 2 more babies (including the one we are
ttc), maybe 3, and age gaps that large would be prohibitive. So all
in all, family, biology, work, and health insurance considerations
would make it better to start my next pregnancy sooner rather than
later, and I'm getting rather discouraged after months of negative pg
tests (you know, in case I "catch the first egg" before my first
period) and no indication of when I actually -can- get pregnant.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS 6-2-06
Ttc#3, but aware of how lucky I am to have the two wonderful babies
I've got!!

Old September 14th 07, 10:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Carlye wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:28 pm, Larry Mcmahan wrote:

Are you saying your period has not returned yet, at 15 mos?

Yes. And though the ability to wear white suits to work all summer
without worry was lovely, I'm ready to be back to normal! )

I'd find that more worrying, it could arrive any day whereas at least if
you've had it you've got a bit of a window!

Anne
Old September 16th 07, 12:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

I'm getting rather discouraged after months of negative pg
tests (you know, in case I "catch the first egg" before my first
period) and no indication of when I actually -can- get pregnant.

Are you charting your BBT? It will help to know when you do get your periods
back when you're actually ovulating, and might save you some money on tests
too. It helped me - I knew I was pregnant with DD after 17 days of high
temps, even when two tests well after my period was due told me I wasn't.

Amy

Old September 18th 07, 07:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Carlye" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 13, 6:28 pm, Larry Mcmahan wrote:

Are you saying your period has not returned yet, at 15 mos?

Yes. And though the ability to wear white suits to work all summer
without worry was lovely, I'm ready to be back to normal! )

There is a light technique which has worked for a few of Monika's
friends...

Sleep for a Week with the light in your bedroom off,
followed a week with a dim light,
followed by a week with full light,
followed by a week with dim light.
Repeat.

Since you probably already sleep in the dark, you can start with week 2.

This is not a joke? I have never heard of this... I can't do the
full light, but I might try just alternating dim and off.
Interesting.

Its meant to emulate the cycle of the moon (new moon = no light; waxing
moon = dim light; full moon = full light; waning moon = dim light). I think
current thinking links the light levels to melatonin production which is
higher at menstruation.
It apparently it does work (according to a naturopath I once visited,
although I think there have been a few studies with mixed results ....and
scepticism) but I've personally never needed to try it, or look into it in
any detail so I can't really say.

Amanda

Old September 18th 07, 03:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

On 18 Sep, 07:57, "Flowergirl" wrote:
"Carlye" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Why not just sleep in the garden then ;-)

Mary Ann

Old September 19th 07, 07:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 18 Sep, 07:57, "Flowergirl" wrote:
"Carlye" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

LOL - The mosquitos would would drive me nuts ...
(not to mention that the ambient light from street lights, cars, neighbours
etc would interfere with the light levels one would receive from the moon
and confound the experiment!).
Amanda

breastfeeding dudy Breastfeeding 0 March 7th 07 02:37 AM
breastfeeding dudy Breastfeeding 1 March 5th 07 05:57 PM
breastfeeding dudy Breastfeeding 0 March 5th 07 04:24 PM
new KY breastfeeding law sharonx9 Breastfeeding 3 July 13th 06 11:35 AM
help with FAM: ovulating earlier and earlier Arielle Pregnancy 6 May 2nd 04 12:57 AM