Question, worried cause milk doesnt show up

Old September 28th 06, 10:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Default Question, worried cause milk doesnt show up

Hi everybody.

After 3.5 years I'm back to this group.
My oldest is 3,5 and unfortunately i wasnt able to breastfeed him, This
time, with our new little angel Im trying again my best but oh man.....
takes sooo long, I only hear negative advices, "just forget it", give him
just formula, it is also good, U gotta sleep better, All day is not only
breastfeeding and pumping,... not all woman can breastfeed, u are one of
those.grgrgrgrgrgrg....

Anyway... last Sept 19th I gave birth to our little one, Rodrigo, it was
a C-Section (my second) and till today, day 9 my breast arent close to be
with milk, i just can pump 20cc after 15 min (without giving Rodrigo any)...
i switch it ... once breast feeding (15 min each breast) and next time only
pumping.........

Is there any one to give me advice?, what should i do to improve my milk
production?, Im trying to be relaxed cause i know stress makes all worst but
well... with an 3.5 years old at home, still pain from the surgery and
recovery and a little one hungry not getting enough milk from mum is driving
me crazy..........

Many greetings and thanks in advance for ur answers.

Carolina
Ricardo 24-03-03
Rodrigo 19-09-06

Old September 28th 06, 11:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larissa In Aus

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:21:33 +0200, Familie Knots wrote:

[...]

Hi Welcome back and congratulations on your new baby!

Here are a few things to think about.

Even with a great pump, some women find it difficult to extract a lot of
milk. Rodrigo will get more milk out of the breast than a pump.

Is there a reason why you are limiting him to 15minutes each breast? Some
newborns feed for about an hour. Try feeding him as long as he likes on
the first breast then offer the second.

The more often you breastfeed him the more milk your body will make for
him. Pumping will add extra stimulation between feeds but may not be
necessary.

What are his diapers/nappies like? Does he have 6-8 wet cloth or at least
5 heavy disposables in a 24hour period? Does he appear well, healthy, no
sunken fontanelle, good skin tone etc. Gaining some weight, but may
not yet have regained birth weight. If so, he is probably getting enough
milk.

Is there anyone you know who has breastfed that you can talk to?

Is there a local La Leche League or other breastfeeding group that you
can attend.

Some mothers find it is useful to have a special box of toys, books
or puzzles that only come out when it is time for baby to feed to keep
your older boy, Ricardo busy.

Try and relax, enjoy your new little boy. Feel free to ask many questions
here, we are from all around the world so there is usually somebody awake
to answer you.

Good on you for giving breastfeeding another go.

Larissa
Mum to 3
Old September 28th 06, 01:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Hi Larissa
Thank you for ur answer.

Here some more info about how all is going....

Hi Welcome back and congratulations on your new baby!

Here are a few things to think about.

Even with a great pump, some women find it difficult to extract a lot of
milk. Rodrigo will get more milk out of the breast than a pump. HOPEFULLY
IS LIKE THAT!

Is there a reason why you are limiting him to 15minutes each breast? Some
newborns feed for about an hour. Try feeding him as long as he likes on
the first breast then offer the second.

ONE OF THE REASONS IS CAUSE MY BREAST WERE BLEEDING ALREADY, THEY WERE
COMPLETELY BROKEN AFTER 1.5 DAYS!... RODRIGO DRINKS VERY HARD AND CAUSE I
HAD A WRONG WAY TO HOLD HIM IT WENT ALL THE WRONG WAY OUT.
THE OTHER REASON IS THE ADVICE FROM THE PEOPLE WHO COMES TO MAKES DE
CONTROLS OF HOW ALL IS GOING HERE AT HOME ( I LIVE IN THE NETHERLANDS AND
HERE, AFTER DELIVERY COMES A NURSE-HOUSE KEEPER WHO HELPS U AND GIVES U
ADVICE ABOUT ALL NEWBORN'S THINGS....

The more often you breastfeed him the more milk your body will make for
him. Pumping will add extra stimulation between feeds but may not be
necessary.

tHE FIRST 3 DAYS I DIDNT LET ANYONE AT THE HOSPITAL TO GIVE HIM ANY FORMULA,
BOTTLE, CUP OR WHATEVER.... I HAD HIM HOURS LONG ON MY BREAST AND I WAS
CRYING EVERY SINGLE TIME BUT NO MILK CAME OUT.. THEY WEIGHTED HIM BEFORE
AND AFTER HE GOT HIS "MILK" BUT THERE WAS NO GRAM BY... HE LOST 10% OF HIS
BIRTH WEIGHT WITHIN 2.5 DAYS AND WAS CRYING THE WHOLE TIME I GUESS CAUSE
WAS HUNGRY.... SO AFTER 3 DAYS I GAVE UP AND ACCEPTED THEY FED HIM WITH
FORMULA TOO. i WAS VERY AFFRAID THAT AFTER HE GOT A BOTTLE HE WAS NOT
GOING TO GET MY BREAST ANYMORE LIKE HAPPENED WITH MY FIRST BOY, RICARDO, BUT
HAPPILLY HE STILL LOVES MUMMY'S BREAST.

What are his diapers/nappies like? Does he have 6-8 wet cloth or at least
5 heavy disposables in a 24hour period? Does he appear well, healthy, no
sunken fontanelle, good skin tone etc. Gaining some weight, but may
not yet have regained birth weight. If so, he is probably getting enough
milk.

hE IS NOW ALMOST BACK TO HIS BIRTH WEIGHT BUT LIKE I JUST TYPED, HE IS
HAVING FORMULA TOO.

Is there anyone you know who has breastfed that you can talk to?

YES, I HAVE SOME FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO BREASTFED AND THEY ALL SAID IT'LL
GET BETTER BUT WELL...... WHEN?!

Is there a local La Leche League or other breastfeeding group that you
can attend.

OH, I DONT KNOW, I GOTTA CHECK ...

Some mothers find it is useful to have a special box of toys, books
or puzzles that only come out when it is time for baby to feed to keep
your older boy, Ricardo busy.

RICARDO IS DOING GREAT, EVERY TIME THAT IM FEEDING RODRIGO HE COMES TO LOOK
OR JUST KEEPS BUSSY WITH HIS TOYS, ETC..

Try and relax, enjoy your new little boy. Feel free to ask many questions
here, we are from all around the world so there is usually somebody awake
to answer you.

SOME MORE INFO..... I GIVE HIM MY BREAST, THAN THE MILK THAT I PUMPED
BEFORE AND THAN FORMULA.... NEX TIME I PUMP, GIVE HIM THAT MILK AND
FORMULA....... ETC ETC.... WHEN I FEED HIM I ALSO PUMP BUT I GET ALMOST
NO MILK!
WHEN I ONLY PUMP I GET 20CC -BOTH BREAST-

AT NIGHT I GIVE SOMETIMES MY BREAST AND OTHERS BOTTLE...... NOW THE
CONDITION OF MY BREAST IS A BIT BETTER, THEY DONT HURT THAAAAAT MUCH BUT
STILL FEELS AUWFULLLLLL WHEN HE STARTS TO DRINK!

pLZ, ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME..!!! I WASNT WITH ALL MY HEART TO
BREASTFEED.... I HEAR FROM PEOPLE AROUND THAT I BETTER HAVE TO QUIT CAUSE
IS TAKING TOO LONG AND BEING TOO DIFFICULT BUT I DONT WANNA GIVE UP.... IS
THERE ANY IDEA ON HOW I CAN IMPROVE WHAT I AM DOING?

tHANKS IN ADVANCE!

CAROLINA
MUM OF
RICARDO 23-03-03
RODRIGO 19-09-06

Old September 28th 06, 04:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Caroline, PLEASE do not type in all capital letters.
It's very difficult to read!

Is there a reason why you are limiting him to 15minutes each breast? Some
newborns feed for about an hour. Try feeding him as long as he likes on
the first breast then offer the second.

ONE OF THE REASONS IS CAUSE MY BREAST WERE BLEEDING ALREADY, THEY WERE
COMPLETELY BROKEN AFTER 1.5 DAYS!... RODRIGO DRINKS VERY HARD AND CAUSE I
HAD A WRONG WAY TO HOLD HIM IT WENT ALL THE WRONG WAY OUT.

Is your breast still bleeding? If not, nurse him as
long as you can on each breast.

THE OTHER REASON IS THE ADVICE FROM THE PEOPLE WHO COMES TO MAKES DE
CONTROLS OF HOW ALL IS GOING HERE AT HOME ( I LIVE IN THE NETHERLANDS AND
HERE, AFTER DELIVERY COMES A NURSE-HOUSE KEEPER WHO HELPS U AND GIVES U
ADVICE ABOUT ALL NEWBORN'S THINGS....

Well, sometimes the "experts" are wrong. Half the
nurses at my hospital gave me great advice and half
gave me blatantly false information. If this hospital
were my first birth, I would have failed at breastfeeding!

Assuming your baby now latches on properly (there may
be an initial OUCH when he first latches on, but once
he starts expressing, you should not feel too much pain).

hE IS NOW ALMOST BACK TO HIS BIRTH WEIGHT BUT LIKE I JUST TYPED, HE IS
HAVING FORMULA TOO.

My pediatrician said that it takes 10-14 days for
babies to get back to birth weight and people who
expect it in 7 days are setting themselves up for
failure. I'm glad your baby is almost back, but
you can start phasing out the formula if you want.

The key thing is to let baby nurse as long as he
wants. It will be difficult for the first 3-6 weeks.
I had my mother around the first 4 weeks, so she
took care of my older son. Then, the nanny came
back and helped take care of the older son, so it
was possible for me to just concentrate on nursing
the baby, almost the entire time.

SOME MORE INFO..... I GIVE HIM MY BREAST, THAN THE MILK THAT I PUMPED
BEFORE AND THAN FORMULA.... NEX TIME I PUMP, GIVE HIM THAT MILK AND
FORMULA....... ETC ETC.... WHEN I FEED HIM I ALSO PUMP BUT I GET ALMOST
NO MILK!
WHEN I ONLY PUMP I GET 20CC -BOTH BREAST-

On average, when you pump *in addition* to nursing,
you get 30cc. When you pump *instead* of nursing,
you get 90-100cc.

My advice is to just keep nursing for as long as
you can stand it for each session. My nursing
sessions in the beginning lasted an hour or so.

pLZ, ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME..!!! I WASNT WITH ALL MY HEART TO
BREASTFEED.... I HEAR FROM PEOPLE AROUND THAT I BETTER HAVE TO QUIT CAUSE
IS TAKING TOO LONG AND BEING TOO DIFFICULT BUT I DONT WANNA GIVE UP.... IS
THERE ANY IDEA ON HOW I CAN IMPROVE WHAT I AM DOING?

You can do it! I know you can. It takes long in
the beginning, but once you get going, it's the easiest
thing in the world. Think of it, no bottles to wash,
no temperature to check!

-- ANita --
Old September 28th 06, 04:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Thank you Anita for ur answer =)

He is now nursing fine..... i hope i can make cause i want it somuch =)

Carolina

"Irrational Number" schreef in bericht
ink.net...

Old September 28th 06, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Larissa In Aus wrote:
[...]

I absolutely agree with Larissa. My son has been nursing for almost 4
years now, and I was never able to pump more than 40 ml combined (using
a hospital grade pump). I'd sit down and nurse him on one side until
he lets go, then offer him the other side -- and do it again every time
it seemed like he might be hungry...

Good luck!

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old September 28th 06, 06:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Happy Hunter

Comments below

"Familie Knots" wrote in message
bel.net...
[...]

During the first few days of life, babies get colostrum from your breasts,
and not milk. The milk come sin usually 2 - 5 days after birth. For all 3 of
my kids, it came in 4 days after birth.

It's stunningly BAD that nurses weighed him before and after a feed in the
hospital. IT IS TOTALLY POINTLESS.
Where I am in the UK, baby is not weighed until baby is 10 DAYS OLD. Your
baby is DESIGNED to lose 10% of boby weight until your milk comes in. My
number 2 baby lost a lot more than 10%. They do expect baby to have
regained their birth weight by 10 days old.

Baby is designed to only get colostrum until your milk comes in. You might
very have an impatient baby that was upset that there wasn't anything
substantial there to drink.

[...]

Why are you pumping at all at the moment ? Just offer him the breast, with
formula if you think you have. I don't see the need to pump just now. I
always find that stress will heavily influence pumping output and I can
never pump as much as the baby can get. I'd bet right now, that if I pumped
I'd get virtually nothing, but I've been breastfeeding my current baby for
10 month. Pumping output is NOT an indication of how much milk you have.

AT NIGHT I GIVE SOMETIMES MY BREAST AND OTHERS BOTTLE...... NOW THE
CONDITION OF MY BREAST IS A BIT BETTER, THEY DONT HURT THAAAAAT MUCH BUT
STILL FEELS AUWFULLLLLL WHEN HE STARTS TO DRINK!

You need to make sure he is latched on properly. Checkout La Leche league
web pages or a local expert if you have one.

pLZ, ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME..!!! I WASNT WITH ALL MY HEART TO
BREASTFEED.... I HEAR FROM PEOPLE AROUND THAT I BETTER HAVE TO QUIT
CAUSE IS TAKING TOO LONG AND BEING TOO DIFFICULT BUT I DONT WANNA GIVE
UP.... IS THERE ANY IDEA ON HOW I CAN IMPROVE WHAT I AM DOING?

If you can stand it, let the baby feed for as long as he wants.
Baby number 1 would on average feed for 1 hour at a time. She'd feed every
3-4 hours.
Baby number 2 fed for on average about 5 mins per feed. She'd feed every
2-3 hours.
Baby number 3 feeds on average for about 15-30 mins. Can't remember how
often she roughly feeds.

All babies are different. If you think the baby is hungry, then feed him,
even if you only just fed him an hour ago or 2 hours ago or whatever.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

P.S. Typing in all capitals is the same as SHOUTING !!!!!!

tHANKS IN ADVANCE!

CAROLINA
MUM OF
RICARDO 23-03-03
RODRIGO 19-09-06

Old September 28th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Familie Knots" wrote and I snipped:
Is there a reason why you are limiting him to 15minutes each breast? Some
newborns feed for about an hour. Try feeding him as long as he likes on
the first breast then offer the second.

ONE OF THE REASONS IS CAUSE MY BREAST WERE BLEEDING ALREADY, THEY WERE
COMPLETELY BROKEN AFTER 1.5 DAYS!... RODRIGO DRINKS VERY HARD AND CAUSE
I HAD A WRONG WAY TO HOLD HIM IT WENT ALL THE WRONG WAY OUT.

If you can stop giving Rodrigo bottles, he may nurse better at your breast.
With a bottle, he's learning to take in the nipple and nurse in a different
way.

Another thing you can look at is the breastfeeding videos on this site:

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html

The latch-on instruction down the center column should help you see that
your baby must take in a full mouth of breast, not just suck on your
nipples.

Hope this helps you. Please let us know how it goes.
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 28th 06, 10:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larissa In Aus

more comments below

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:27:48 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

[...]

I understand how painful it can be at the beginning it was really painful
for me too.

You are doing a great job to be persisting through this! It really does
get better. It takes some time but after a few weeks the baby gets faster
at feeding and as their mouth grows it becomes easier to attach.

It does sound like the pump is adding to your stress and it would be good
if you could abandon it. If you wish to phase out the formula you could
start with just one feed a day and then another after several days or a
week.

Most women have a good supply first thing in the morning so maybe you
could try just giving the breast in the morning. Allowing him to feed for
as long as possible.

For sore nipples there are several things you can do:
breastmilk can be smeared around the nipple and left to air dry.

There are also several creams available for this exact purpose, some
containing lanolin.

Try to keep your nipples dry, change breast pads often.

Hang in there.

Larissa

Old September 29th 06, 08:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Patty.

Thanks alot for that link... it is very very helpfull!!!

Im thinking like most of u said to skip at least for a while the pumping
part and trying just to give him the breast... if he gets crazy from being
crazy i'll give him some bottle but trying to make it less and less.

Greetings and kisses to everybody.

Oh by the way, here some pics of Ricardo, Rodrigo, me, papa, etc...

www.sappc.com

Carolina

Ricardo 24-03-03
Rodrigo 19-09-06