ADHD drugs linked to short stature MEDICATION WATCH

Old August 30th 07, 07:43 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jan Drew

Default ADHD drugs linked to short stature MEDICATION WATCH

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...es/CAT=Lives08

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Researchers at Riley Hospital for Children have found a link between short
stature and medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The link suggests that medications prescribed for ADHD stunt growth in some
children.

Or it could mean that conditions that result in being short also predispose
children for ADHD.

The study was conducted after Riley physicians and nurses noticed a
disproportionate number of short stature patients were on medication for
ADHD.

Researchers then found that 25 percent of new patients seen for short
stature were on medication to treat ADHD. Those who were being medicated for
ADHD were just as likely as those who were not to have other hormonal
disorders contributing to their short stature.

"If you have a child who's not growing well and is on medicines for ADHD,
don't assume it's a side effect of the medicine alone," said pediatric
endocrinologist Dr. Samar Rahhal. "Consider seeing a pediatric
endocrinologist."

Old August 30th 07, 11:15 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
WWWSC #2

"Jan Drew" expounded:

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Yea,I've always wondered what height my 6'5" son should be would be,
Ritalin really stunted *his* growth [/sarcasm].....come on, Jan, this
has been debunked many times over. The growth rate of children
affected with ADHD seems to be different than 'normal' kids (whatever
that is).
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann
Old August 30th 07, 08:32 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
WWWSC #4

WWWSC #2 wrote the following on 8/30/2007 6:15 AM:
"Jan Drew" expounded:

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Yea,I've always wondered what height my 6'5" son should be would be,
Ritalin really stunted *his* growth [/sarcasm].....come on, Jan, this
has been debunked many times over. The growth rate of children
affected with ADHD seems to be different than 'normal' kids (whatever
that is).

Ah ha! That explains why I am only 4'11, OD is the same height, YD is
4'10", DH is 5'4", and DH's sister and mother are/were 4'10". Oops, wait,
only YD has taken ADD meds...
--
WWWSC #4
Charter member of the Wicked, Wicked Woman Shrew Crew
Old August 31st 07, 01:44 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
WWWSC #2

WWWSC #4 expounded:

Ah ha! That explains why I am only 4'11, OD is the same height, YD is
4'10", DH is 5'4", and DH's sister and mother are/were 4'10". Oops, wait,
only YD has taken ADD meds...

Well, in that case, we can certainly ignore genetics! ;-
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann
Old September 3rd 07, 08:16 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jan Drew

*Anecdotes are pure bull**** and prove nothing* Mark Probert

Old September 3rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
WWWSC #2

"Jan Drew" expounded:

*Anecdotes are pure bull**** and prove nothing* Mark Probert

Your slanted, agenda-laden articles are pure bull**** and prove
nothing - Ann Rein
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann
Old September 4th 07, 01:24 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe

On Aug 30, 7:44 pm, WWWSC #2 wrote:
WWWSC #4 expounded:

Ah ha! That explains why I am only 4'11, OD is the same height, YD is
4'10", DH is 5'4", and DH's sister and mother are/were 4'10". Oops, wait,
only YD has taken ADD meds...

Well, in that case, we can certainly ignore genetics! ;-

Yeah, really! The only one in our family who has taken ADHD meds took
concerta for a year - and he's only 6'4" at age 17. Dammit! Is he
going to miss that 6'6" mark my grandmother predicted?

Kitten
Goddess of Mischief
WWWSC #3

Old September 4th 07, 05:07 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
[email protected]

On 30 Aug, 12:15, WWWSC #2 wrote:
"Jan Drew" expounded:

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Yea,I've always wondered what height my 6'5" son should be would be,
Ritalin really stunted *his* growth [/sarcasm].....come on, Jan, this
has been debunked many times over. The growth rate of children
affected with ADHD seems to be different than 'normal' kids (whatever
that is).
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann

I thought debunkers tended to whine about anecdotal evidence.

Old September 4th 07, 05:44 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
The One True Zhen Jue

On Sep 4, 12:07 pm, "
wrote:
On 30 Aug, 12:15, WWWSC #2 wrote:

"Jan Drew" expounded:

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Yea,I've always wondered what height my 6'5" son should be would be,
Ritalin really stunted *his* growth [/sarcasm].....come on, Jan, this
has been debunked many times over. The growth rate of children
affected with ADHD seems to be different than 'normal' kids (whatever
that is).
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann

I thought debunkers tended to whine about anecdotal evidence.

That's actually a good point. Anecdotal evidence is the lowest form
of evidence. However, the original poster showed absolutely nothing
convincing about the quoted study. No aspects of the experimental
design were included and no link to it was provided.

In short, the mentioned "study" is anecdotal until we see something
ACTUAL about it.

Old September 4th 07, 08:11 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
WWWSC #2

" expounded:

On 30 Aug, 12:15, WWWSC #2 wrote:
"Jan Drew" expounded:

ADHD drugs linked to short stature
MEDICATION WATCH

Yea,I've always wondered what height my 6'5" son should be would be,
Ritalin really stunted *his* growth [/sarcasm].....come on, Jan, this
has been debunked many times over. The growth rate of children
affected with ADHD seems to be different than 'normal' kids (whatever
that is).
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann

I thought debunkers tended to whine about anecdotal evidence.

This 'debunker' isn't a debunker at all, just a person who points out
the flaws in Jan's constant drivel. As for anectdotal evidence, I'll
believe what I see, not what I read from a troll on the internet.
--
Proud member WWWSC #2
Formerly known as Ann