How to monitor teenager's internet activity?

Old July 19th 03, 08:55 PM
Yi Jin

Default How to monitor teenager's internet activity?

I have a teenage who is doing internet visits a lot. Is there any
way I can monitor here internet activity? For example. to keep her
from deleting the history items in IE6?

Her PC is Windows 2000. She does need the write access to do her
homework during school days - right now she is just chating and
surfing.

Her PC connect to the wireless route, which connect to the cable
modem. My machine is also Windows 2000 Pro. Can I set a LAN network
so I can record all her activity in my machine?

If this a FAQ, sorry to ask again. Would appreciate if you can provide
a site for the FAQ.

Thanks,

Yi
Old July 20th 03, 02:40 AM
Marijke

"Yi Jin" wrote in message

I have a teenage who is doing internet visits a lot. Is there any
way I can monitor here internet activity? For example. to keep her
from deleting the history items in IE6?

You need to make the effort to know what she is doing while she is doing it.

I have three kids, 16, 14 and 11.5. They have their own computer but it is
in my office where my computer is, and within sightline of the living room.
They do have privileges to use the computer when we're not home but also
know that they'll lose it in a flash (and have lost it) if we feel there is
reason to revoke computer privileges.

The overriding rule in the house is that I must be able to glance at the
screen at any time to see what is going on. They are not allowed to shrink a
window when I enter the room or glance over. Yes, their conversations are
private, but a quick glance at the screen can give me a very good idea of
what is going on.

One child broke the rules once. He has not since because he learned the
lesson fast.

There's no substitute for parental supervision, no matter how great your own
computer is and what programs you install.

Marijke, in Montreal

Old July 20th 03, 04:26 AM
R. Steve Walz

Marijke wrote:

"Yi Jin" wrote in message

[...]

----------------------
These are the methods that cause the kid to become addicted to porn
and chatrooms the first time they are on their own.

Dumb!
Steve
Old July 20th 03, 05:24 PM
Dizzysmamma

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Duncan}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}

Old July 20th 03, 06:09 PM
Mary Gordon

In our house, the computer with internet access that the kids use is
in the kitchen/family room area (we have a built in desk in the
kitchen and the entire area is open concept). So, it would be very
difficult for a kid to be up to much without being caught, since with
2 adults and three kids in the house, plus the endless parade of
friends, neighbours, relatives - you are almost never alone in the
kitchen and everyone sees what you are doing (the screen actually
faces the hall, so everyone coming in or out can see what site you are
on)!

Works for us. Nothing destroys secrecy like having to be out in the
open.

Mary G.
Old July 21st 03, 03:31 AM
Sonnie B.

If you are using a recent browser version like Internet Explorer
or Netscape, you can actually view the sites that have been visited.

In Internet Explorer it is under the tab/window called HISTORY.

If you click on that, a list of the visited websites will appear.
It usually shows the activity over the past few days as well.

Most of the time you'll find URLs like (I made these up),

- http://www.googleteens.com
- http://www.teenchatsite.com
- http://www.hometownnewsletter.com

but if your kid has been to any sites, they sometimes appear as,

- BIG NAUGHTY SITE *** HOT HOT
- LOVE IS A THREE LETTER WORD NAUGHTY SITE
- http://www.reallynaughtysite.com

You can actually monitor your child's activity without your child even
knowing that you are doing it. It's great.

However, the drawback is that if the child is aware of their HISTORY,
it is also very easy for them to delete the sites from it as well.

So, it is not a foolproof method, but it does work.

good luck!

SB

Old July 21st 03, 12:58 PM
Chookie

In article ,
(Sonnie B.) wrote:

You can actually monitor your child's activity without your child even
knowing that you are doing it. It's great.

I have some problems with this -- and even with having the computer in a
public spot.

(a) You aren't equipping your child to avoid objectionable material
(b) You aren't equipping your child to find material they really want
(c) You aren't telling your child about the dangers of giving out personal
details
(d) You will only find out they have seen something objectionable after the
event (even if it was accidental rather than deliberate)
(e) Your reaction then will almost certainly mean that your child won't turn
to you if they do stumble across something that worries them later
(f) When your kids discover you have been looking at their site logs they will
know that you don't trust them, and that you think prying and spying is
acceptable behaviour -- you will lose a LOT of face.

This is a first pass for me as a Christian parent and librarian, but it seems
to me that we need to cover the following areas with our children:

1. Ways to find info on the net that will speed up searching and incidentally
minimise the risk of accidental p0rn viewing -- that is, using services like
the Yahoo directory, LII or BUBL over mindless search engines.

2. Netiquette (e-mail, chat and Usenet) -- not giving out personal details
would go here.

3. Pubescent children, as part of their sex education, need to know why you
don't believe they should look at p0rn, as well as how to avoid rape and how
to deal with improper advances (this goes for real life as well as the net,
obviously).

4. Have a strategy in place so that if children *are* using interent services
independently, they know they can come to you if they come across something
weird/worrying/objectionable and talk it over with you.

Particularly with younger children, I think the starting point is that you
always accompany a child using online services. You don't let them into
swimming pools unsupervised; the internet is just a huge swimming pool of
ideas. As the child gets older and becomes more streetwise, you can step back.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 21st 03, 03:37 PM
Monkfish

Default meetings in the ladies' room

Otherwise I'd have to hire a private detective to find out what she and her
friends are talking about when they are having a "meeting" (usually in someones
bathroom What is it with females going to the bathroom together anyway to "have
a talk" g)

they're doing that already at 7 years old? lol

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----