night potty training

Old July 25th 03, 07:00 AM
Clisby Williams

Default night potty training

jmorgan wrote:

My daughter (just over 3) has been potty trained since she was 2, during
the day that is. We live in a warm climate and she sweats a lot, so we
haven't restricted her fluid intake in the evenings, and she takes a
sippy cup of water with her to bed, thus she has always slept with a
pull up on. Now she wants to sleep in underwear - we've been semi
successful the past few days, but I'm wondering how often do you wake
them up to go? She has wet herself twice now without even waking up and
noticing it. So far we take her to the bathroom one around 10:30p and
then again around 1a or so, and that seems to be working alright. I
suppose I'm just looking for suggestions on this transition, or other
ideas for having successful nights with minimal waking for all.

cara

I don't think I'd wake her up in the middle of the night to use the
toilet. I'd either keep her
in pullups at night or let her wet herself - surely, sooner or later,
she'll wake herself up
that way.

Granted, I don't have much experience in this area because my 1st child
was night-trained
well before she was day-trained. (I don't know whether "trained" is
the right word -
she wet herself once at night while wearing regular underwear and then
never again.)

My 2nd is a little young (not quite 18 months) for potty training,
although I'll probably
buy a potty soon and see if he's interested.

Clisby

Old July 25th 03, 06:12 PM
Circe

jmorgan wrote:
My daughter (just over 3) has been potty trained since she was 2,
during the day that is. We live in a warm climate and she sweats a
lot, so we haven't restricted her fluid intake in the evenings, and
she takes a sippy cup of water with her to bed, thus she has always
slept with a pull up on. Now she wants to sleep in underwear -
we've been semi successful the past few days, but I'm wondering how
often do you wake them up to go? She has wet herself twice now
without even waking up and noticing it. So far we take her to the
bathroom one around 10:30p and then again around 1a or so, and that
seems to be working alright.

Personally, I wouldn't wake a child up in the night to use the toilet,
especially if it means waking yourself up in the middle of the night to do
(that's like going back to having an infant!). If your daughter won't wake
up on her own when she needs to urinate, she's not ready to wear underwear
to bed (IMHO). I would recommend taking the night-time sippy cup away and
leaving her in pull-ups. When she wakes in the morning with a dry pull-up
(whether that's because she didn't urinate all night or because she got up
to use the toilet doesn't matter), she's ready to wear underwear to bed.

For the record, my son was night-trained within about 2 weeks of day
training. He simply slept through the night without urinating. My daughter
(now 4) has been day trained for about three months, but still wears a
diaper to bed at night. Most mornings, it's soaking wet. Obviously, she's
not ready for underwear at night just yet.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 25th 03, 06:31 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Circe wrote:

jmorgan wrote:
[...]

I'm with Barbara on this. We just kept DD in pull-ups at night until
she remained dry overnight. She was daytime potty-trained by 2 but wore
pull-ups at night until about 4 1/2.

I guess if your daughter is adamant about going to underwear you could
set a goal of being dry for a whole week before switching over.

Jeanne

Old July 25th 03, 06:57 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

This is a case where I'd be very firm. If she's not able to stay dry at
night by herself she should stay in pullups at night. BUT work with her
to make her understand that pullups are FINE at night, and that lots of
big kids, even 7 and 8 year olds, sometimes need to wear pullups at
night. (There's even an Arthur episode on the topic. One of the girls
doesn't stay dry at night.)

This is not something she has any control over, so as long as you can
defuse the psychological aspect she'll be just fine waiting until her
body has matured enough to do it on its own.

For what it's worth, I had one child who was night trained before he was
day trained, and one who went in the reverse sequence ... by a couple of
years.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

Old July 25th 03, 07:57 PM
Welches

Circe wrote in message
jmorgan wrote:
My daughter (just over 3) has been potty trained since she was 2,
during the day that is. We live in a warm climate and she sweats a
lot, so we haven't restricted her fluid intake in the evenings, and
she takes a sippy cup of water with her to bed, thus she has always
slept with a pull up on. Now she wants to sleep in underwear -
we've been semi successful the past few days, but I'm wondering how
often do you wake them up to go? She has wet herself twice now
without even waking up and noticing it. So far we take her to the
bathroom one around 10:30p and then again around 1a or so, and that
seems to be working alright.

DD (2yrs 9 months) has just started wanting to be night trained. She's been
dry for nearly a year, and I'd rather she'd waited a bit longer before
wanting to. We've been putting her in training pants so she can have the
slight dribble before she completely wets. So far I toilet her at about
10:30, and she's only wet twice, (in a fortnight) and once she had a
temperature and was drinking a lot. Both times were wetting just after she'd
woken in the morning too. She only wears a t-shirt/nighty in bed if she's in
trainer pants, which is my easy change rule and she's not made any
objections.

Personally, I wouldn't wake a child up in the night to use the toilet,
especially if it means waking yourself up in the middle of the night to do
(that's like going back to having an infant!). If your daughter won't wake
up on her own when she needs to urinate, she's not ready to wear underwear
to bed (IMHO). I would recommend taking the night-time sippy cup away and
leaving her in pull-ups. When she wakes in the morning with a dry pull-up
(whether that's because she didn't urinate all night or because she got up
to use the toilet doesn't matter), she's ready to wear underwear to bed.

You don't wake them up to toilet them. I certainly wouldn't wake myself up!
I strip the trainer pants off in bed. Pick her up and carry her still asleep
to the toilet. I then tell her that she's on the toilet and she goes. Back
lieing in bed and put the trainer pants back on.It takes less than 2 minutes
from start to finish and she doesn't wake up and has no memory of it in the
morning. It's very sweet-the only time I feel she's completely obedient!
Debbie

Old July 25th 03, 08:02 PM
Circe

Welches wrote:
You don't wake them up to toilet them. I certainly wouldn't wake
myself up! I strip the trainer pants off in bed. Pick her up and
carry her still asleep to the toilet. I then tell her that she's on
the toilet and she goes. Back lieing in bed and put the trainer pants
back on.It takes less than 2 minutes from start to finish and she
doesn't wake up and has no memory of it in the morning. It's very
sweet-the only time I feel she's completely obedient! Debbie

My daughter is such a sound sleeper that taking her to the toilet after
she's fallen asleep would be an exercise in futility. There is no *possible*
way she would understand she was on the toilet or that she ought to pee
unless she was awake. And if she *was* awake, she'd be screaming bloody
murder at the indignity of having been awakened from a sound sleep g!

The way things work in our house, everyone goes to bed at more or less the
same time of night anyway (around 9-9:30pm). Which means that any attempt to
have my kids use the toilet after they'd gone to bed would mean I'd have to
wake up first. No thanks!

Thankfully, my son was dry at night without any effort on my part and my
daughter still *likes* her nighttime diaper (I think she feels it's the one
time she can let down her guard and just pee wherever she is, LOL!).

Old July 25th 03, 10:36 PM
AGreen1209

My son is potty trained during the day, but wakes up soaking every morning. We
just put him in a diaper at night. FWIW, I had two siblings and various
cousins who weren't able to go through the night dry until they were between
8-14 years old, apparently it is hereditary, so we aren't pushing night potty
training at all at this point.

Amanda

Old July 26th 03, 12:47 AM
jmorgan

Circe wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't wake a child up in the night to use the toilet,
especially if it means waking yourself up in the middle of the night to do
(that's like going back to having an infant!). If your daughter won't wake
up on her own when she needs to urinate, she's not ready to wear underwear
to bed (IMHO). I would recommend taking the night-time sippy cup away and
leaving her in pull-ups. When she wakes in the morning with a dry pull-up
(whether that's because she didn't urinate all night or because she got up
to use the toilet doesn't matter), she's ready to wear underwear to bed.

I agree with this - I don't think she's quite ready yet, especially since she
has completely slept through two accidents without even noticing. She's so
persistent and stubborn, though, it take some serious negotiating to try to
talk her out of underwear at night.

cara

Old July 26th 03, 01:03 AM
Nic

My daughter (just over 3) has been potty trained since she was 2, during
the day that is. We live in a warm climate and she sweats a lot, so we
haven't restricted her fluid intake in the evenings, and she takes a
sippy cup of water with her to bed, thus she has always slept with a
pull up on. Now she wants to sleep in underwear - we've been semi
successful the past few days, but I'm wondering how often do you wake
them up to go? She has wet herself twice now without even waking up and
noticing it. So far we take her to the bathroom one around 10:30p and
then again around 1a or so, and that seems to be working alright. I
suppose I'm just looking for suggestions on this transition, or other
ideas for having successful nights with minimal waking for all.

cara

Not much help here as my DD is the same as your's only thing is we restrict
the water before going to bed at night. Then put on the toilet before bed
then she usually sleeps thou the night. We were using the pull ups like you
but now we are using a slumber sheet. (more information found at
http://www.slumberdry.com.au ) Which draws away any wetness. I guess we are
lucky as she only wet's it once or twice a week. And it saves having to buy
pull ups and if she does realise she is wet she just takes of undies and
pulls the sheet of.
Its handy for me as I can sleep though out the night and I know she isn't
wet.

Nic

Mum to 3 yo DD
Mum to 6 mo DS

Bottles at night Ali's Daddie General 15 July 27th 03 05:02 AM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM
Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo? Truffles General 38 July 13th 03 09:18 AM