Glass is always half-empty for CPS

Old June 25th 03, 05:16 PM
Wex Wimpy

Default Glass is always half-empty for CPS

Glass is always half-empty for CPS

E.J. Montini Republic columnist Jun. 24, 2003 12:00 AM

It's grotesque to admit it, but it's true. In the story of three
abused children, two of them dead, there is good news. We didn't see
it because of the horror, but beneath the allegations of negligence or
incompetence inside the state's Child Protective Services, there is
reason for optimism. And there is proof, simple mathematical proof,
that CPS is made up mostly of men and women doing what the Sisters of
St. Joseph used to call "God's work" for no money, no respect and -
when everything goes perfectly - no recognition.

Over the weekend, The Republic's Karina Bland reported that three of
the worst and most highly publicized recent instances of child abuse
were supervised by the same person at CPS. The woman and her boss have
been suspended.

The cases involved a 7-year-old boy who had been starved and kept in a
closet by his sadistic parents while supposedly under scrutiny by CPS;
10-day-old baby who wasn't removed from an addictive mother by CPS and
who died of exposure to crack cocaine; and a 20-month-old girl beaten
to death by her mother's abusive boyfriend even after reports had been
received about his behavior.

By themselves, the numbers are nauseating. Two kids dead. One wickedly
abused. But there are other numbers. In Maricopa County alone,
caseworkers are said to have investigated more than 16,000 cases of
alleged abuse last year.

Investigators average 15 cases a month. Every couple of days a
caseworker is faced with a potential life-and-death decision about a
child's welfare, a family's future. Imagine the houses they walk into.
Imagine the people who confront them. Imagine the questions they must
answer and the unreasonably brief time they have to answer them. In
order to do such a job, a person most likely will have had to attend
college and graduate school. And for the work of trying to protect
society's most precious resource - our children - the starting pay for
a caseworker with a master's degree is $26,526 a year. Add in the
stress and the long hours, and it's easy to see why there's nearly a
30 percent turnover rate. And yet, most of the time, CPS manages to do
the right thing.

"I understand that the public would be outraged by the death of any
child," a young CPS worker told me Monday. "But the level of animosity
for CPS in this state is, I think, ridiculously high. And I think the
media contributes to that a lot. I've gotten to the point where I just
tell people that I work for 'the state' when they ask me about my job.
Because I know if I said CPS, they would give me this look. You know?
Most of the people I work with really care about what they do. But
we're not saints. Sometimes mistakes are made."

She's not supposed to talk to reporters about her work and asked that
her name not appear in print. Besides, she said, she probably won't be
with the agency for long. It's getting to her.

This makes her easy to write off. After all, nobody forces a person to
take a job in social services, right? Don't they know the pay is lousy
going in? Don't they know there will be stress? Don't they know
they'll be dealing with society's most difficult problems day in and
day out?

I figure they do. I figure that accounts for the fact that even with
all the turmoil and the turnover, the percentage of cases that go well
is very high. And I figure that since everyone from the governor on
down has something critical to say about CPS, the agency's
performance, its highly publicized failures and its need for reform
that I should take the opportunity to add in my two cents. With all
the criticism out there, I believe there remains one thing that needs
to be said to the CPS workers who sometimes totally botch a job the
rest of us wouldn't take for a million dollars: thanks.

Old June 25th 03, 06:52 PM
Fern5827

Wex found:

Over the weekend, The Republic's Karina Bland reported that three of
the worst and most highly publicized recent instances of child abuse
were supervised by the same person at CPS. The woman and her boss have
been suspended.

They should have been terminated.

Also, CPS in California should be using advanced mapping to staff, monitor, and

fund CPS operations.

But there are other numbers. In Maricopa County alone,
caseworkers are said to have investigated more than 16,000 cases of
alleged abuse last year.

Any AUDITS of these figures? More *fat* 8 year olds?

In
order to do such a job, a person most likely will have had to attend
college and graduate school. And fo

The reporter is SPECULATING HERE. Need hard facts.

And yet, most of the time, CPS manages to do
the right thing.

Not with the public perception of CPS, DES ---it doesn't. Most folk *diss*
CPS.

California recently highlighted the case worker unit whose employees were
going to the movies, and going to health clubs, while on the clock at DCF.

See California fosters posting on this NG.

She's not supposed to talk to reporters about her work and asked that
her name not appear in print. Besides, she said, she probably won't be
with the agency for long. It's getting to her.

The better to sanction whistleblowers, those who know of internal corruption,
and those who see the difficulties and who know of the *sweetheart* deals.

Rather than writing a puff piece for CPS--lets see the reporter poll folks who
have had direct experience with CPS.

Let's have input from those who have experienced the *services*, from fosters
who have NOT have their legitimate questions answered, and let's have CPS
convene focus groups about its efficacy---weaknesses and strengths.

Face it, no other institution has a lower favorable rating from its clients,
and even from those who are *mandated reporters*

Physicians in California have published editorials in medical journals relating
to the absolute harm CPS, DSS inflicts often on grieving parents.

http://www.the-facts.com

http://www.fightcps.com Both located in California
Old June 26th 03, 04:23 PM
Fern5827

Ron--are you a taxpayer? Or are you practicing creative accounting with your
fosters?

Check their contracts, you may just find that going to health clubs is a
part of their employment contract. The same with movies. Its called a
"benefit".

I guess you like GOVERNMENT WASTE and FRAUD. Maybe you BENEFIT from such.
Well, if you don't pay taxes..... you don't care.......

Sure, lets do that. But of course when it comes out that most have an
acceptable or good experience with them you are not going to believe it, so
why expend the energy? You are only going to believe what you want to

The FACTS bear out that the public holds CPS in a very bad light. Lower than
the IRS.

The fact is fern, you don't know what you are talking about and never have.
The complexity of the subject is beyond your ability to comprehend, as you
have just shown. Congratulations on one more example of your ignorance of
the subject.

That may be your opinion, Mo' Ron. At least I don't have to foster.

http://www.CPSWatch.com Even for fosters who have been dissed by CPS.

Old June 26th 03, 05:07 PM
dickinson

Fern5827 wrote:
..
:At least I don't have to foster.

And therein lieds the rub dear fungi. Not only do you not have to contend
with CPS failings, you also don't have to deal with the degenerate bios
(remember when I came to this group, I objected to them being called
such?.........I've "matured" since)

If you *really* care about kids in care, how about focussing on the positive
outcomes instead of mailing all these negatives?

Why don't we see the positives? Because they aren't newsworthy? Could be?
Because they don't "ring true"? Could be for those who have "an axe to
grind" or are "in denial"

You really are a pathetic lump of ****e. It's crap like you that got me
returned from an "abusive though stable" institution, to a "thoroughly
abusive and instable" family environment"...........think about it
Fungi!..........it ain't perfect........but what do *you* (ot the
beaureucrats) propose?