Thomas the Train question

Old September 13th 03, 10:33 PM
CandyC

Default Thomas the Train question

Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that are not
part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can play with.
Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of the train system or
not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

Thanks

Old September 14th 03, 12:20 AM
Karen

http://www.trainsgalore.com

Old September 14th 03, 11:12 AM
Penny Gaines

CandyC wrote in :

Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that are
not part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can play with.
Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of the train system
or not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

The wooden trains that go with Brio can be used without a track.

HTH

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 15th 03, 01:03 PM
Jeff

I saw these Saturday at A.C. Moore, an arts and craft chain. You can find AC
Moore on the web. I am a regular visitor to Target and don't recall having
seen Thomas in their toy department.

As another member pointed out, they are kind of pricey.

Jeff

.net...

Old September 15th 03, 02:58 PM
Frisbee® MCNGP

"CandyC" wrote in message
.net...
Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that are

not
part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can play with.
Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of the train system

or
not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

Look for Thomas and Friends videos.

Quite often, you can get one, like at Sam's Club, where the video goes for
about $12, and it includes one of the trains. The trains separately often
cost more than the video! We've upped our collection quite nicely doing
this, as the boys (twins) love the trains and the videos. Now if only
they'd do that with Pokemon.

--
Fris "Prepare for trouble, and make it double!" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Old September 15th 03, 03:24 PM
llama mama

"CandyC" wrote in
.net:

Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that
are not part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can
play with. Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of the
train system or not.

any of the engines can be played with alone. there is also Caroline the
car, Elizabeth the steam truck, Bulgy & Bertie the busses, Bulstrode the
barge, & Cranky the crane.
there are two very distinct sets of toys currently too. the Take-Along
Thomas & the ones that fit the Brio tracks. they don't really work
together very well (we have both types). the easiest way to tell them
apart if the eBay listings don't specify, is the Take-Alongs have square
magnets & the Brio-type have round ones. Do NOT pay more than US$5 for
the Take-Alongs, since they're available at Target for $4.99
HTH
lee

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old September 15th 03, 03:30 PM
llama mama

(Irene) wrote in
om:

"CandyC" wrote in message
v.net...
Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that
are not part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can
play with. Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of
the train system or not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

Thanks

If you mean you don't want the track, you can also get a slightly
cheaper version of the trains at Target. (More plastic, not all wood,
I think.) They seem to have a pretty good selection, though I haven't
tried searching any. You also get characters with some of the videos,
though that's probably not how you wanted to do it!

the ones at Target are Take-Along Thomas and they are diecast metal. very
sturdy, plus there is no right or wrong way on the magnets. however they
are smaller than the Brio Thomas, so do not fit on the track (which
hasn't stopped my 3 year old from using it with his Brios anyway)
the ones with the videos are the Brios... what i want to know is why the
engine with the video isn't even related to the character the video is
about, ie we got Duncan with the Salty's Secret video. Duncan isn't even
*in* any of those stories!
lee
Old September 15th 03, 09:26 PM
Irene

llama mama wrote in message ...
(Irene) wrote in
om:

"CandyC" wrote in message
v.net...
Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that
are not part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can
play with. Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of
the train system or not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

Thanks

If you mean you don't want the track, you can also get a slightly
cheaper version of the trains at Target. (More plastic, not all wood,
I think.) They seem to have a pretty good selection, though I haven't
tried searching any. You also get characters with some of the videos,
though that's probably not how you wanted to do it!

the ones at Target are Take-Along Thomas and they are diecast metal. very
sturdy, plus there is no right or wrong way on the magnets.

Aah, my mistake. Since we don't have any, I just looked at how shiny
they were and assumed plastic. The magnet thing is interesting - for
a few weeks, ds was very, very frustrated that he had to turn the cars
around to make them stick together sometimes! By now, he's figured it
out, though.

however they
are smaller than the Brio Thomas, so do not fit on the track (which
hasn't stopped my 3 year old from using it with his Brios anyway)

Well, I'm glad I haven't bought any, then! We have the regular wooden
track (well, actually the older version that they changed about a year
ago). Though he also has an Ikea train that works pretty well with
them, too.

Oh, but I thought Thomas was made by Learning Curve, and Brio is all
separate stuff. Mainly compatible, but from a discussion back in
January or so, apparently you have to be careful about things fitting
through tunnels and such.

the ones with the videos are the Brios... what i want to know is why the
engine with the video isn't even related to the character the video is
about, ie we got Duncan with the Salty's Secret video. Duncan isn't even
*in* any of those stories!

Good question!

Irene
Old September 15th 03, 10:32 PM
Penny Gaines

Irene wrote in :

the ones at Target are Take-Along Thomas and they are diecast metal. very
sturdy, plus there is no right or wrong way on the magnets.

Aah, my mistake. Since we don't have any, I just looked at how shiny
they were and assumed plastic. The magnet thing is interesting - for
a few weeks, ds was very, very frustrated that he had to turn the cars
around to make them stick together sometimes! By now, he's figured it
out, though.

FWIW, in the UK there is a die-cast range that uses hooks to connect the
trains together. IIRC, it is made by ERTL.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 16th 03, 06:28 PM
lynn

In article ,
"CandyC" wrote:

Does anybody know of what Thomas the train characters I can get that are not
part of a train, just stand alone trains that the kids can play with.
Looking on ebay, but it is hard to tell what is part of the train system or
not.
(Hoping some Thomas fans are reading.)

Thanks

I was just shopping for them at http://www.learningexpress.com

If you click on trains and tracks, and view all products, you'll see
pages of each individual train, for about $10 each.

- Lynn