Religion question

Old October 10th 03, 06:21 AM
Laurie

Default Religion question

I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me what
exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small town and
that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant denomination, or for
anyone christian, or for anyone at all? Forgive me if I'm being dumb but
I'm catholic and haven't got a clue. I'd like to go to that church to get
to know the people in town, but there is a catholic church only about 15-20
minutes away so it's no big deal to go there. I'm not too good about
attending church anyway.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 5.5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old October 10th 03, 06:36 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Laurie" wrote:

I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me what
exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small town and
that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant denomination, or for
anyone christian, or for anyone at all? Forgive me if I'm being dumb but
I'm catholic and haven't got a clue. I'd like to go to that church to get
to know the people in town, but there is a catholic church only about 15-20
minutes away so it's no big deal to go there. I'm not too good about
attending church anyway.

About 44 years ago I took a Catholic friend to a Congregational church
and they didn't think it looked like a church at all. A
congregational church is technically a protestant church and it is
ruled by the congregation. So there's not a big central organization
- not only in decor and worship services, but in organization almost
the exact opposite of the Catholic church.

According to the website of a Congregational church in CT, "Puritans
seeking a more local autonomy and a simpler church service founded the
first Congregational churches in New England in the 1600's. Over the
next two centuries, Congregationalism was the most popular form of
worship in New England...

"..an independent structure within an association of other
Congregational churches. Since 1957, Shelton Congregational Church has
also been part of the United Church of Christ, a reunited body of
protestant churches including Congregational and Evangelical...

"Church affairs are managed by members of the church. Many activities
are governed by committees, and church members are encouraged to take
part in committee work and decision-making. Major issues are decided
by vote in meetings of the full congregation."

grandma Rosalie
Old October 10th 03, 11:30 AM
just me

"Laurie" wrote in message
. net...
I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me what
exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small town and
that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant denomination, or for
anyone christian, or for anyone at all? Forgive me if I'm being dumb but
I'm catholic and haven't got a clue. I'd like to go to that church to get
to know the people in town, but there is a catholic church only about

15-20
minutes away so it's no big deal to go there. I'm not too good about
attending church anyway.

Congregational churches are mainline protestant. The leader of the
community is an ordained minister, many of whom are married and, in this day
and age, many of whom are women. Communion is present, usually the first
service of a month, there is a board of people who direct the church in
concert with the minister, and there are often subcommittees to address
specific areas like budget or calling a new minister. Having grown up in
Congregational churches and attended many Catholic services I suspect you
would find a big difference in certain doctrin but could also find that
there are more similarities than differences. Good luck in finding the
church home that meets your familys needs best.

-Aula

Old October 10th 03, 04:38 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Laurie" wrote:

I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me what
exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small town and
that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant denomination, or for
anyone christian, or for anyone at all? Forgive me if I'm being dumb but
I'm catholic and haven't got a clue. I'd like to go to that church to get
to know the people in town, but there is a catholic church only about 15-20
minutes away so it's no big deal to go there. I'm not too good about
attending church anyway.

You would have to call to ask specifically which protestant
denomination, but it is most likely Unitited Church of Christ, which is
a liberal main line protestant denomination which practices
congregational polity (ie, there is no organizational heirarchy outside
the congregation telling them what to do -- the lay members of the
congregation "own" the church and make the decisions.)

It would be open to anyone who wishes to attend; however, protestant
services are different from Catholic services in some significant ways,
and the theology is different, so it's hard to say if you would be
comfortable there. You might find it wonderful -- it's certainly worth
checking out.

meh

Old October 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Clisby

Laurie wrote:
I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me what
exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small town and
that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant denomination, or for
anyone christian, or for anyone at all? Forgive me if I'm being dumb but
I'm catholic and haven't got a clue. I'd like to go to that church to get
to know the people in town, but there is a catholic church only about 15-20
minutes away so it's no big deal to go there. I'm not too good about
attending church anyway.

It's a mainline Protestant denomination, but I'd expect they'd encourage
anybody to come. I've never been to a Congregational church, but I
have the impression it's fairly similar to a Baptist church in that
there's not a church hierarchy like you have in the Catholic church (or
Methodist or Episcopal churches, for that matter). The individual
congregation runs the church, picks the minister, etc.

Clisby

Old October 10th 03, 05:55 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

: It's a mainline Protestant denomination, but I'd expect they'd encourage
: anybody to come. I've never been to a Congregational church, but I
: have the impression it's fairly similar to a Baptist church in that
: there's not a church hierarchy like you have in the Catholic church (or
: Methodist or Episcopal churches, for that matter). The individual
: congregation runs the church, picks the minister, etc.

In that respect it is similar to a Baptist church, but that would be the
only way. The Congregational church is generally much more reserved in
terms of their expression of worship. (I grew up in the Congregational
church, and have been to many services at Baptist churches.)
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 10th 03, 10:37 PM
Wendy

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
In that respect it is similar to a Baptist church, but that would be the
only way. The Congregational church is generally much more reserved in
terms of their expression of worship. (I grew up in the Congregational
church, and have been to many services at Baptist churches.)

I'd agree with this. I was a Catholic as a child and my husband was
raised Baptist and we go to a Congregational Church now. Our church is
very austere - sleek wood and pews with walls and doors forming boxes (for
everyone) and lots of silent prayer and beautiful flowers and
music. There is very little decoration and no stained glass - just some
ribbons hung during various liturgical seasons. It has some litergy but
not nearly as much as a Catholic church.

One of the things I really like about it is that no one checks your
doctrine at the door. You can believe anything you want and just join the
community in spiritual endeavors at whatever place you happen to be on
your spiritual path. No one is keeping tabs on how often you come or how
well dressed you are, either.

Two more points to add that no one else mentioned: whenever you see a
white-spired New England village church it's probably a Congregational
church. The history is that it formed the first town governments in most
New England villages as it was settled. I believe mine was formed in 1678
(yes, I'm in the U.S. and no, that isn't a typo.)

The other point is that new people walking through the door are VERY VERY
welcome. As fresh meat. A church run entirely by committee ALWAYS needs
new committee members. My advice is to decline being appointed to any
committee until you've been going for a year. Seriously. You're likely
to be offered the chair of some committee on your second visit! :-)

As for it being cross-denominational with Presbyterians, I don't know
about that, but mine is cross-denominational with Unitarian-Universalist
(a "protestant" religion so liberal that it can't necessarily even be
called Christian anymore.) My guess is that individual churches fall all
over the place on the liberal/traditional spectrum.

-- Wendy
Old October 10th 03, 10:40 PM
Jon Ericson

"Laurie" writes:

I'm a little embarrased to ask this, but can anyone share with me
what exactly a "congregational " church is? We're moving to a small
town and that is the only church in town. Is it a protestant
denomination, or for anyone christian, or for anyone at all?

Generally the term "congregational" refers to a church in which the
congregation (basically the people who are members of the local
church) have authority. It doesn't usually refer to any particular
denomination of Protestants, but to certain types of denominations.
Of course non-denominational churches are congregational too.

Historically the congregational movement is a reaction of the Roman
Catholic Church and to Protestant denominations that retained the
Catholic authority structure. (An example of the later is the
Episcopalian/Anglican denomination. They retained bishops, but
rejected papal authority.) One key difference is that pastors are
hired by the local church rather than assigned by higher authorities.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb but I'm catholic and haven't got a
clue.

You aren't being dumb. It's worth checking out the people who might
be watching your children in the nursery and teaching them. One of
the drawbacks to Congregationalism is that a newcomer can't be certain
about theology and beliefs of the leadership without examining what
they say. Until you meet the pastor and hear what he has to say, you
won't know.

I'd like to go to that church to get to know the people in town, but
there is a catholic church only about 15-20 minutes away so it's no
big deal to go there. I'm not too good about attending church
anyway.

Judging from the above, I sure hope you give the congregational church
a try. Most likely it will be very different from the Catholic Mass.
Hopefully it will challenge your beliefs an draw you closer to God.
It would also be a great place to meet people and find friends for
your children.

As an aside, the surest way I know to evaluate a church's teaching is
to compare it to what the Bible says. Be especially wary of people
that take a verse or two out of historical and textual context and
base their belief system on it, and people who have significant
extra-biblical sources for their beliefs.

Jon
--
But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for
yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my
Old October 10th 03, 10:40 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I'd agree with this. I was a Catholic as a child and my husband was
: raised Baptist and we go to a Congregational Church now. Our church is
: very austere - sleek wood and pews with walls and doors forming boxes (for
: everyone) and lots of silent prayer and beautiful flowers and
: music. There is very little decoration and no stained glass - just some
: ribbons hung during various liturgical seasons. It has some litergy but
: not nearly as much as a Catholic church.

Well there's a difference--the Congregational church I was raised in was
very ornate and had lots of stained glass. But like you said it was also
very private, like nobody shouted out "hallelujiah!" or "amen" during the
survices. Much more private, less demonstrative.
--
ColoradoSkiBum