What I Saw in Target Today

Old September 2nd 03, 12:30 AM
New York Jen

Default What I Saw in Target Today

So, since it was a rainy holiday here in NY, DH caved and agreed to take me
and Laszlo to Target so I could check out the new Liz Lange maternity
clothes along with a million other things I really don't need. As we were
walking through the very crowded aisles, we saw a momma with a relatively
young baby, with her boob out and she was holding the baby and the baby was
nursing while she was shopping. It looked natural as anything, but of
course people were looking twice at her, probably because of how comfortable
she was with her lil nursling.

Just wanted to share.

- Jen

Old September 2nd 03, 04:18 AM
Emily Roysdon

New York Jen wrote:
So, since it was a rainy holiday here in NY, DH caved and agreed to take me
and Laszlo to Target so I could check out the new Liz Lange maternity
clothes along with a million other things I really don't need. As we were
walking through the very crowded aisles, we saw a momma with a relatively
young baby, with her boob out and she was holding the baby and the baby was
nursing while she was shopping. It looked natural as anything, but of
course people were looking twice at her, probably because of how comfortable
she was with her lil nursling.

Just wanted to share.

Must be something in the air. Just the other day at the mall, I saw two
women walking around in two different stores obviously nursing their
newborns (no slings), and I wanted to say something to them, because
it's so seldom you see anyone nursing. I wonder what is the appropriate
thing to say, if anything. Rebekah was with me at the mall, and she saw
one of the babies and said, "dat baby is NUSSIN'!" but I'm not sure if
the mother or anyone else heard her ;-)

Emily, who saw a crying newborn in a stroller on the same visit, with
the dad pushing it saying, "the book says you're supposed to like this"
while a tired mom trudged on :-(

Old September 2nd 03, 06:50 AM
CY

I have often thought of saying something but I always end up being too shy -
don't know why really...I saw these cards recently and they look pretty
cool...

http://www.attachmentscatalog.com/gifts/advocacy.html

"Emily Roysdon" wrote in message
om...

Old September 8th 03, 11:04 PM
Mogget

In message , Emily
Roysdon writes

Must be something in the air. Just the other day at the mall, I saw
two women walking around in two different stores obviously nursing
their newborns (no slings), and I wanted to say something to them,
because it's so seldom you see anyone nursing.

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears
Old September 9th 03, 01:22 AM
HollyLewis

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

You just...do it. :-) How old is your baby? I couldn't manage without all
the pillows and so on until DS was 3 months old, but after that, he got enough
control over his own head to stay latched on when he wanted to, I'd figured out
how to hold him in a cradle position, and my incision had healed enough that I
could go from sitting to standing while carrying him. Combine those things and
voila, you're nursing standing up. Once you're standing, walking isn't so
hard.

It's easier with a sling, even though it adds another layer of stuff to learn
how to manage, because it frees up the arm that otherwise is needed to support
the baby's butt.

I can't do it any more, of course. The kid weighs a ton and is considerably
longer than my arm. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old September 9th 03, 01:51 AM
Marie

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

When I was sitting down nursing, I just stood up, holding the baby in
the same position. I never needed any pillows or props (though it was
more comfortable to do so). I never had a problem with walking and
nursing, and from the very first baby on my first day home I was
walking and nursing and using my free hand to do other things. (I was
living with my parents at the time and was still required to do some
housework for living there)
Have you tried standing up after latching your baby on? or stand with
your shirt/bra off, holding the baby in a cradle hold (once you can do
that then you can practice positioning your shirt/bra...and ime a
regular bra is easier than a nusring bra b/c I can just flop my breast
in and out of it instead of having to work the latches one-handed). If
you can, have someone help you if anything needs holding up until you
get the hang of it.
When my nephew was born, I babysat him alot, and I learned to hold him
and bottle-feed him wiht one arm and have one arm free! I can't even
imagine how I did it anymore but I did )
Marie
Old September 10th 03, 01:35 PM
Mogget

In message , HollyLewis
writes
Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

You just...do it. :-) How old is your baby?

She's 8 months. Only 16 lbs, but tall & strong.

I couldn't manage without all
the pillows and so on until DS was 3 months old, but after that, he got enough
control over his own head to stay latched on when he wanted to, I'd figured out
how to hold him in a cradle position, and my incision had healed enough that I
could go from sitting to standing while carrying him. Combine those things and
voila, you're nursing standing up. Once you're standing, walking isn't so
hard.

Just trying to picture this.... so, if she's on the left breast, then
she's being supported by the left arm, with her head round about the
left elbow? Her body is not tucked under my arm, but across mine, with
her feet nearer my right armpit?

If that's it, then I don't think I'll ever manage it; I think my breasts
are just the wrong shape to get a latch like that. Thanks anyway.
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old September 2nd 03, 04:34 AM
A&G&K

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...
So, since it was a rainy holiday here in NY, DH caved and agreed to take

me
and Laszlo to Target so I could check out the new Liz Lange maternity
clothes along with a million other things I really don't need. As we were
walking through the very crowded aisles, we saw a momma with a relatively
young baby, with her boob out and she was holding the baby and the baby

was
nursing while she was shopping. It looked natural as anything, but of
course people were looking twice at her, probably because of how

comfortable
she was with her lil nursling.

Just wanted to share.

- Jen

What a coordinated lady!
Amanda

Old September 2nd 03, 10:00 PM
Naomi Pardue

walking through the very crowded aisles, we saw a momma with a relatively
young baby, with her boob out and she was holding the baby and the baby was
nursing while she was shopping. It looked natural as anything, but o

While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to them as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 2nd 03, 10:20 PM
New York Jen

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
walking through the very crowded aisles, we saw a momma with a relatively
young baby, with her boob out and she was holding the baby and the baby

was
nursing while she was shopping. It looked natural as anything, but o

While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to them

as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

That's kind of our pet name, I even used it with Laszlo when he was nursing.
Didn't mean to offend!

If I point to my breast and ask him what it is, he still says "Bobby" - his
way of saying boobie.

- Jen

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM