how many babies not interested in solids at first?

Old January 13th 04, 10:13 PM
H Schinske

Default how many babies not interested in solids at first?

"teapot" wrote in message
. com...
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids.

Don't know the percentage, but one out of three of mine was slow to take to
solids. Around nine or ten months he started chowing down, and has never been
notably picky since. Nobody would think, seeing him pack away two or three
bowls of cereal for breakfast now (he's five) that he was ever not keen on
solids.

--Helen
Old January 14th 04, 12:18 AM
Larry McMahan

teapot writes:
: I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
: arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
: month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
: worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
: his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
: (no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
: Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

: teapot

Clara just nibbled until she was 9 or 10 months old. Niel picked it
up a little faster.

Larry
Old January 14th 04, 04:04 AM
J,T&M

teapot wrote:

I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot

Olivia... not interested. She takes a couple of tastes and that is
about it. Course... she still has tongue thrust as well so we are
easing off again.

Tammy

Old January 14th 04, 05:00 AM
laurie

Jessica wasn't interested for a long time, closer to a year or so. She would
eat a few things at 9 or 10 months. Christopher suddenly became interested at
7.5 months. Both kids were self feeders, though, neither wanted anything to do
with babyfood mush.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old January 14th 04, 11:28 AM
Azure

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot

I've got a big eater (most days) and I was suprised as she's also a big
breastfeeder LOL.

I reckon it's about a 50/50 split, with a slight bias towards girls being
more likely to like food than boys. This is my sample size of, oh, about 10
kids LOL. I should write this study up and publish it *grin*

Leah

Old January 14th 04, 07:20 PM
Sara

teapot wrote:

I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids.

Ollie just started getting interested at around 14 months.

--
Sara, accompanied by the meat-must-have-meat barnacle
Old January 14th 04, 08:29 PM
teapot

"Melissa" wrote in message news:C6VMb.44273$na.36407@attbi_s04...
"teapot" wrote
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

Have you tried finger foods? We discovered that the reason that DD wouldn't
eat baby food is that she wanted to do it herself. She's gone from nothing
to three square meals a day and she eats everything. Try mushy broccoli,
cheerios, cheese or even soft bread spread with avocado. She loves all of it
because she can do it herself. She'll even let us 'help' her eat things like
peaches because she's doing most of the work herself at her pace. Meals take
a long time (30 minutes or so), but it also means that I can eat at the same
time as her so we're actually having a meal together. What fun! I wish we
had figured it out sooner because she loves food so much and I was so
totally stressed out about her not eating.

His dad gets excema so I am following the allergic children sequence
of introducing foods
http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html no wheat or dairy
for ages yet. I have tried steaming veg til its mushy but still
pick-up-able but he just vomits back chunks of food, even if they are
tiny. I agree that he wants to do it himself but dont know quite how
to help him.

teapot
Old January 15th 04, 09:00 AM
KC

Both mine were voracious eaters, especially Jessi. She was after our
food and drinks at only 4 months, and still is.

In a later post you talked about vomiting. Jessi did that with chunks
at first. I would stop and then try again after 3 days or so. I
think it is good to keep trying because I think the gagging is because
their tongue doesn't know how to control the food good enough yet, and
trying will give them practice and exercise, and one day they will do
it without vomiting.

KC