What I Saw in Target Today

Old September 5th 03, 03:03 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default What I Saw in Target Today

Nevermind wrote:
Dawn Lawson wrote in message ...

Nevermind wrote:

"Tine Andersen" wrote

Still, your poor MIL. I

would never "forbid" my MIL or mother from doing something as harmless
as using a baby-cute word for something, not even a body part. I mean,
I have confidence that I am a greater influence on my kids' vocabulary
than their grannies, and, besides, I respect the two women too much. I
pray that when I become a grandmother, my son's wife doesn't "forbid"
me from being myself around my grandkids. That paragraph just made me
sad.

PFt. You oughta meet my mom if the idea of forbiding something makes
you sad. I have *finally* learned that I *MUST* forbid some behaviours
and comments if I am to be "allowed" to mother my own child.

But that isn't at *all* the situation when a MIL simply wants to talk
babytalk to a baby. It's not safety related and it's not hostile and
it isn't getting in the way of a mother mothering her child in the way
she wants.

Ok, yes, I definately see your point. It's bloody annoying, but perhaps
not worth the fight. I guess we mostly agree. And I agree that unless
the gparent spends significant time with the child such that their
babytalk may be a problem, it's likely that the parents' careful use of
language will hold far more influence than the horrible use of language
that abounds ;-)

Again, these are safety and respect *to you* issues. These are
important enough to be worth confronting grandparents about.

I appreciate that you respected my position on this. Thanks very
sincerely. (it's been a really tough year wrt gparents)

I see how you've differentiated and given somewhat less "other stuff"
with the various g'mas, I may feel similarly. Sadly, I think the
overall lack of respect for me and DS has hardened me and made me
somewhat bitter towards the women. Confronting has proved horrendous
and uesful only as a means of attempting to find some peace for myself.
in the midst of what seems like insanity all around.

Dawn

Old September 5th 03, 07:04 AM
Emily Roysdon

Dawn Lawson wrote:
snip
Ok, yes, I definately see your point. It's bloody annoying, but perhaps
not worth the fight. I guess we mostly agree. And I agree that unless
the gparent spends significant time with the child such that their
babytalk may be a problem, it's likely that the parents' careful use of
language will hold far more influence than the horrible use of language
that abounds ;-)

snip

Oh, I dunno. We all know how the one time you use a word around a
child, *that* is the word they pick up and continue on with. I needed
no further proof that I could never swear around my son than the day
when I heard him say, "fecking dannit!" after I'd said mumble
something similar once. Okay, maybe twice ;-) But if my MIL started
saying "boob" around my kids, I would not be happy, and would probably
ask her to stop. I remember her saying "boobies" once when Noah was
getting a bit too familiar with her, and I interjected, "Noah, the only
nummies you can touch are mama's nummies." I think she got the hint. I
think it's a parent's perogative to request or even insist that a
grandparent not use a certain word if they find it offensive or
inappropriate.

Emily, with a daughter who calls Gramma Hah-hah and Nana Nunh-uh, but we
still use the correct words when talking to her...

Old September 5th 03, 07:40 AM
Daye

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:04:50 GMT, Emily Roysdon
wrote:

Oh, I dunno. We all know how the one time you use a word around a
child, *that* is the word they pick up and continue on with. I needed
no further proof that I could never swear around my son than the day
when I heard him say, "fecking dannit!" after I'd said mumble
something similar once. Okay, maybe twice ;-)

DH and I stopped using the F word after DD said it after me.
Something spilled on the floor just as I was trying to leave. As I
walked to get a towel, I muttered, "F***! F***! F***!" DD then said
chanting, "Buck! Buck! Buck!" It was not my proudest moment.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 5th 03, 08:08 AM
Tine Andersen

"Daye" wrote in message

DH and I stopped using the F word after DD said it after me.
Something spilled on the floor just as I was trying to leave. As I
walked to get a towel, I muttered, "F***! F***! F***!" DD then said
chanting, "Buck! Buck! Buck!" It was not my proudest moment.

My DH was not so pleased about my not so pure language when we met so I
tried very hard to weed out most of the nasty stuff. It was quite nice when
we had kids that I didn't have to do it then.

My Mother - on the other hand - she has trouble. We ask her - kindly - to
moderate her language in front of the kids. Sometime she has to answer to a
kid: Granma, you are not allowed to say that word! Luckily she meekly says:
Your'e right - I'll try not to.

Tine, Denmark

Old September 5th 03, 11:36 AM
kristi

Default Semantics and spelling [was: What I Saw in Target Today]

"Beth" wrote in message . ..
"New York Jen" wrote in message
. net...
Oh, what's worse is than/then, it's/its, you're/your, etc. I cringe to
myself every time I see that!

For me, there is nothing like lay/lie and loose/lose for irritating me.

Beth

All of these mentioned already bother me (maybe my nazi is trying to
get out) but also: "here, here!" used for "hear, hear".

What's worse is that it causes me to lose respect for the folks making
these errors (unless I know they are not native English speakers, then
I cut them more slack).

Kristi (maybe an INT*J* after all)
Old September 5th 03, 05:13 PM
Tine Andersen

"Emily Roysdon" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
Karen wrote:
Cathy Weeks wrote: Well, she's started to talk, and

her word for it is "deess." We think it came from "drink" but we're
not sure. However, she's been patting my chest and saying "boo-boo"
and I suspect she's remembering Chris calling them "boobs". She nods
to either "do you want to deess?" or "do you want to nurse?" so she
understands both. I was amused that even though Chris quit using
"boobs" in nursing context that she still remembered it, and might be
using it.

I know you won't believe it but I know a couple little girls who also
called it "deess". The older one started it and mom continued using the
term with #2.

And "dees" was our family word for breasts! I had totally forgotten
about it until I read that post. How odd...

Could it be from: do you want these?

Tine

Old September 5th 03, 06:44 PM
Dawn Lawson

The Huwe Family wrote:
"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

I think Booby is fine. I can't imagine a child saying "I want your

tit".

People would definitely stare. All my kids call it a booby or bubby to

the

baby. It's just like saying poopy, or pee pee for penis, or chi chi

for

pacifier, or nuny for night night. The are all more appropriate for

kids.

Kris

Mind your attributions, I didn't write the above quote.

Dawn

Old September 5th 03, 11:32 PM
Emily Roysdon

Tine Andersen wrote:
"Emily Roysdon" skrev i en meddelelse

And "dees" was our family word for breasts! I had totally forgotten
about it until I read that post. How odd...

Could it be from: do you want these?

Well, I wasn't nursed, nor was my sister, so I doubt my mom was making
that offer, lol ;-) Maybe it was "what are these?"? I dunno...

Emily, not about to ask my mom ;-)

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM