how many babies not interested in solids at first?

Old January 13th 04, 04:21 PM
teapot

Default how many babies not interested in solids at first?

I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot
Old January 13th 04, 04:34 PM
Melissa

"teapot" wrote
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

Have you tried finger foods? We discovered that the reason that DD wouldn't
eat baby food is that she wanted to do it herself. She's gone from nothing
to three square meals a day and she eats everything. Try mushy broccoli,
cheerios, cheese or even soft bread spread with avocado. She loves all of it
because she can do it herself. She'll even let us 'help' her eat things like
peaches because she's doing most of the work herself at her pace. Meals take
a long time (30 minutes or so), but it also means that I can eat at the same
time as her so we're actually having a meal together. What fun! I wish we
had figured it out sooner because she loves food so much and I was so
totally stressed out about her not eating.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old January 13th 04, 04:42 PM
Circe

teapot wrote:
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

In my personal experience, it's 1/3 voracious eaters, 2/3 not interested in
mush. Of course, that's a sample size of three, so not much to go by. Mind
you, once my two disinterested babies reached the stage where they could
handle "real" food and had passed the worst of the early teething (around 10
months), they were quite interested in solids. They just didn't care for
"baby" food! And I wonder if I'd waited to introduce solids to my oldest
until he was 5-6 months old (we started at 16 weeks--yes, shame on me!)
whether he'd have been quite so enthusiastic about the baby goo.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Call anywhere, any time...virtually from any phone" -- prepaid phone card
dispenser

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 13th 04, 05:40 PM
Anne Rogers

I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

ds started slow with his solids, he's still often not impressed by purees
and much prefers food off our plates, so I'm learning to cook things that
are good for babies, last night he nibbled his way through some
bologneses sauce and a few spirals of pasta. He still definitely views
milk as the real thing and hasn't cut down his milk feeds whilst he's
increased his solids.

Old January 13th 04, 05:43 PM
CY

Ditto here. Though we couldn't get DD to eat anything much until she was
about a year old...
"teapot" wrote

Old January 13th 04, 05:45 PM
Leslie

Three out of four of mine ate everything as fast as I could feed it to
them--baby food, table food, finger food, fast food, you name it. William,
OTOH, would not eat ANYTHING. He was largely bf until at least 18 months, and
still has a very limited diet.

Leslie
Old January 13th 04, 06:27 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot

I have no idea what percentages like and do not like solids. But I can tell
you that one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was caring whether or not I
could get some in him. He will eat what and when he wants. And the best way
to pave the way for balanced diet is to offer good food and not care if he
takes it. He is only 6 months old, after all.

Old January 13th 04, 06:48 PM
Lucy

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

I don't think it's such a simple split between 'voracious eaters' and 'boob
only'. A few people have mentioned already that their babies only wanted
finger foods and not pureed foods. My DD really was a 'boob only' and wanted
no puree, no cereal, no finger foods, no nothing except breastmilk until 8
or 9 months. Then she only wanted totally pureed food and would gag on
anything else. Even now (at almost 14 months) she mostly wants the pureed
stuff and eats very little in the way of finger food (although she doesn't
gag any more).

Of all my friends that I discuss these things with, one has a kid like mine,
that never really wanted to eat. I can think of at least ten kids that ate
everything in sight.

It worried me for a while, and still frustrates me from time to time, but
I've given up fighting it. DD's gaining weight just fine and is eating quite
a balanced diet, even if the meats and vegetables are coming mostly from
Gerber.

Lucy

Old January 13th 04, 07:26 PM
Andrea

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot

Mines a boobylicious monster, but as far as solids go he loves fruit, but
isn't so keen on veggies. I guess that's a sweetness thing.

He has got a teeny toothbrush now, so cute!
--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 13th 04, 08:51 PM
Clisby

teapot wrote:
I'm just curious as to the percentage of babies (like mine) who just
arn't that interested in solids. I started him on mushed stuff a
month ago at 6 mths old and I'm still lucky if I can get a teaspoon
worth into him. My mates child, the same age as the Moo wolfs down
his puree. I waited until Moo boy showed indicators of wanting soids
(no tounge thrust, grabbing our food etc) but hes just notimpressed.
Is there a 50 50 split between voracious eaters and boob only babies?

teapot

My first, who was mostly formula-fed, didn't eat a lot of solid food
until she was 14 or 15 months old. My second, who was breastfed, ate
almost everything we gave him, starting about a week after he turned 5
months. The only thing he didn't like was fruit (except for
applesauce.) Maybe it's hereditary - I don't really like fruit either.

Clisby