Sleep POLL

Old October 28th 05, 11:33 AM
Mum of Two

Default Sleep POLL

"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

16 months.

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Usually by screaming and shaking the cot.

3. How many/long are the naps?

One, if we're lucky, in the afternoon, but she may sleep for up to two
hours. I try to get her to bed by 8.30. Or 9pm. Darn it, she gets up before
7am! I want some time to myself already.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In her own room, and now that the molars are through, she sleeps through
most nights (touch wood).

5. How many times do they wake over night?

None (frantically touching wood)

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

What the heck is the 'recommended' number of hours? No one ever told me
that, or her for that matter ;-) On a good day, she sleeps long enough for
me to eat lunch and hang the washing out. On a good night I get to sleep
too, but bad nights are usually on a work night. Murphy had a law about
that, I guess she doesn't want to break it.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

If you get yourself dressed in the morning by saying "left shoe, right shoe,
blue shoe, white shoe" then step awaaay from the Dr. Seuss already.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 28th 05, 12:56 PM
JennP

"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

I know your pain. I went through this with dd when she was about 5 months. I
was spending more time getting her to sleep than she was spending sleeping.
Extremely frustrating.

1. How old is your baby?

12 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Nurses into drowsiness for abou 10 minutes.

3. How many/long are the naps?

1 nap anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours. Sometimes two naps still.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

Crib for about 11 hours. Slept a stretch of 5 hours minimum since birth. (I
know, don't hate me

5. How many times do they wake over night?

None. Sometimes at about 4am, but I still consider that through the night. I
nurse her and she goes back to sleep

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

yes

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Read books but don't expect your baby to follow what is happening exactly.
Take from each book what you like and ditch the rest. One book I really
liked and found extremely helpful was "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by
Marc Weissbluth.

JennP.

Old October 28th 05, 02:44 PM
Nikki

Jo wrote:

1. How old is your baby?

Since your baby is 5mos I'll answer for when mine were 5mos.

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

#1 - nursed for me, mostly didn't sleep for sitter.
#2 - nursed for me, rocked and bottle for sitter

3. How many/long are the naps?

#1 - 10-15 minutes if I laid him down or got up from the bed. Up to 1.5
hours if I held him. He'd nap for Steve if I could nurse him to sleep and
transfer him to Steve's chest. If he happened to pass out for the sitter he
slept about 20 minutes (not in arms).
#2 - Took two 30 minute naps in the morning and evening and one longer nap
(1-2 hours) in the afternoon. At 5mos I could still nurse and lay him down
to sleep. As he got older he continued to nap well for everyone but me,
maybe because I nursed him down for naps? I don't know but he rarely slept
more then 30-40 minutes for me and would sleep 2 hours for everyone else.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

#1 - co-slept full time, nursed to sleep.
#2 - co-slept most of the time, some time in the crib. Nursed and then he
rolled over to sleep.

How many times do they wake over night?

#1 - at least every 2 hours and he nursed a lot. He reverse cycled his
nursing since he didn't take bottles during the day,.
#2 - every 3 hours. He nursed each time he woke but I'd say only every
other was real honest hunger.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

#1 - no
#2 - yes

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I've no idea. I haven't had much success with anything ;-)
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 28th 05, 03:11 PM
Melissa Walton

"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

5 months
2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

I watch to see if he's tired and then try to get him to nurse to sleep
3. How many/long are the naps?

20 min generally..once in awhile a miracle will happen like yesterday and
I'll get 45 min...I almost cried for joy. My house is happier too (cleaner
etc)
4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

Cosleeps
5. How many times do they wake over night?

Varies wildly..but a good night 3-4 times...a normalish night 6-7 times.
6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

HAH!
7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

That's what we're doing. I figure he's gotta grow out of it sometime!

Melissa
Mom to Connor born 05/24/05

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Plissken

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Usually by screaming and shaking the cot.

LMAO : D

Old October 28th 05, 04:34 PM
Amy

Jo wrote:

1. How old is your baby?

11 weeks

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Nurses. I can get her to fall asleep in her swing once a day, without
nursing, usually in the morning right after we get up. Although, today
it sounds like she's taking this opportunity to make a dirty diaper,
rather than to fall asleep, so it's going to be a LONG day.

3. How many/long are the naps?

She takes one nap in the morning which can be up to 3 hours. It
usually starts around 8:30 am when she falls asleep in the swing, and
she wakes up around 11:30 am.

Afternoons are less organized. Sometime between 2 and 3 she usually
starts another long nap, two hours, although she has to nurse to sleep
for this one, and she wakes up if I move, so I usually nap with her.
If she skipped her morning nap it's longer. If she had a long morning
nap, it's shorter. Some afternoons she just catnaps. I hate those,
because she'll nurse herself to sleep and I'll wait for 15 minutes
before I try to move her to her swing, then she wakes up fully and is
wide awake and we have to start all over. After 4 or so of these,
she's had enough rest, but my boobs are sore and I'm exhausted.

Sometimes, depending on the earlier naps, she'll have an evening nap,
but this is only when the morning nap and the afternoon nap both
sucked. Usually she's awake from 4:00 or 5:00, when she wakes up from
her afternoon nap, until bed, which ranges from 8 - 9:30, depending on
what's going on.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

Only in the last couple days I've started a routine. DH gives her a
bath, then I take her upstairs and nurse her to sleep in our bed, and
then I sneak away. We're going to try to get better about starting
this process promptly at 8 pm every night, but so far we've been really
bad about this. We might have to move it later, though, because last
night she went to bed "on time" but was WIDE awake from 3 - 5 am. I
didn't love that. Still, I like the routine of her getting a bath
(because *I* get a break!!). When she's a little older, we'll add a
story. Right now, she's not interested in stories at all. Sometimes I
sing.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

Too many to count. She wakes up when we come to bed. Last night we
came to bed at 10:30, she woke and nursed back to sleep, then she woke
up at 12 something, 1 something, was up from 3 - 5, then woke at 6
something, and we got up for the day at 7 something. So far her nap
has been all screwed up, too. I'm hoping she's saving it for this
afternoon, because I have a dental appointment and DH is going to stay
at home with her rather than bringing her to the dentist with me. I
don't love this idea, and I've made him promise to bring her to the
dentist if she's inconsolable. I'm hoping she'll just sleep the whole
time I'm gone, since she's obviously not interested in sleeping right
now. I ought to probably take her out and do something, to wear her
out really well before I leave... I digress.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I don't keep track, but I doubt it. Everyone we've spent any time with
says she's the most wakeful baby they've ever met. She seems to be
constantly wide awake. I was too.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I haven't found anything real useful in the books. You have to do
what's best for your family, what gets you the most rest, what all of
you can live with. Sometimes that answer is in a book, sometimes not.

I'm hoping that as mine gets older, she'll naturally straighten herself
out. I'm also working on getting better about routines (although the
routine we're in/trying to establish is one that she initiated...).
I'm probably screwing her up for life, but oh well. I'm just doing the
best I can.

Amy

Old October 28th 05, 05:42 PM
Melania

Jo wrote:
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

5.5 mo

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Nurses, or bounces, or goes for a walk in the stroller.

3. How many/long are the naps?

several 10-15 minute catnaps per day, with 1-2 naps of about an hour. A
2-hour nap is a rare and wonderful thing. Mostly he gets woken up out
of naps by his active big brother, and then can't get back to sleep for
a while.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In bed with me, nursing on demand.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

3-5, not usually for very long. A minute or two while he gets cosy on
the breast. Some nights he wakes up completely and has to be bounced
back to sleep. this happens once or twice a week, once or twice a
night.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

probably adds up to 11-12 hours. I don't know how that rates.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

yup ;D

Thanks

Jo (Mum to Will, 5 months old - who is rolling rolling rolling!)

Go Will!!! Alec hasn't quite mastered the back-to-front roll yet, but
he's working on it.

Melania

Old October 28th 05, 06:18 PM
Cuddlefish

Jo wrote:
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

11 weeks

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Stroller, Baby Bjorn, being left alone on my bed, nursing, etc. He falls
asleep v.easily. Indeed, he falls asleep best if I am NOT around and NOT
holding him.

He needs his soother and to be quiet warm though to fall asleep.

3. How many/long are the naps?

All over the place, ranging from 30 mins to up to 5 hours. Unpredictable
at best. He has a morning nap and an afternoon nap - at least that is
predictable!

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In bed with DH and myself, occasionally stroller placed besides bed.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

Last night, 3 times but mostly once.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

Oh who the heck knows ;-) Most of the time he is happy and playful vs.
grumpy. Crying is a rarity, so I know he must be doing ok in the sleep
department.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Well I read books to dismiss many suggestions. So far no book has truly
helped describe my baby since he has no problems that would warrant me
to turn to a book for help.
Old October 28th 05, 08:49 PM
emilymr

1. How old is your baby?

11.5 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

When he starts getting cranky, I nurse him and then put him in his
crib. He usually cries for a minute or so, then talks to himself, then
conks out.

3. How many/long are the naps?

On a good day, he takes 2 2-hour naps; one starting anywhere between
8.30 and 10AM, and the other starting anywhere from 12.30-2PM. He's
gotten very consistent about his naps, although it took *manymanymany*
months before than happened!!

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

We take him into his room around 6.30PM and play with him there with
the lights dimmed and music on. Then he gets changed/pj-ed, and I
nurse him while telling him a story, saying 'goodnight' to all his body
parts, singing a song, listing everyone in the family and saying we
love him, and praying. The whole routine takes about 10 minutes; if he
pulls off early, I cut out the last bits. Then I walk him around for
another minute or so, and then plop him in the crib and leave.

*Lately* he's been much better and will only cry for a minute or so,
and then fall asleep. This is definitely a new thing, though. We
started putting him in his own crib at about 5 1/2 months, and bedtime
was a complete nightmare for at least another 2 months, with lots of
screaming and crying and flailing, for an average of 1/2 an hour every
night. It's only in the last month or so that he's accepted bedtime,
and I'm not under any illusions that it'll be pie from now on!!

5. How many times do they wake over night?

He gets up and fusses quite often, but will put himself back to sleep
pretty quickly. Occasionally, he'll get up around 4AM and holler, and
then I feed him. But he's been steadily getting better at sleeping
through the night since Julyish, and I rarely have to get up anymore.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

Yep.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I read everything. Micah was an absolutely rotten sleeper (although
many everyone thinks that about their kid??), and although I started
out saying "I'll NEVER let him CIO!!" and "Co-sleeping all the way!!!"
-- I changed my tune. I realize now that 1) he can't sleep with anyone
else in the room, let alone the bed; 2) he's as stubborn as hell and
would *easily* outlast my efforts to go in and soothe him and nurse him
'down'; and 3) I'm way too lazy to do the NCSS, and the only effect the
method had was to teach Micah not to fall asleep nursing.

Good luck!! For us, it was around 7-8 months when he started to 'get'
sleeping, and 11 months when he started to become less crazy when put
into his crib. In fact, now he likes his crib, and will happily play
in it as long as I'm sitting in the same room.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04