So sore :o(

Old October 28th 05, 03:25 PM
Andrea S

Default So sore :o(

Well I am breastfeeding again, but this little girl has a tiny mouth..
Kamron had a large mouth, and we did well. Erin latches on well with her top
lip but not her bottom one. I am raw and tearful. Was thinking about using
my pump for some relief...

Andrea mom of 6 now...

Old October 28th 05, 04:19 PM
Nikki

Andrea S wrote:
Well I am breastfeeding again, but this little girl has a tiny mouth..
Kamron had a large mouth, and we did well. Erin latches on well with
her top lip but not her bottom one. I am raw and tearful. Was
thinking about using my pump for some relief...

I don't know if my babies had big or small mouths? Make sure she is opening
her mouth wide. You can do this by putting a little pressure on her bottom
chin or even waiting until she starts with a little cry. Quickly get her on
the breast then. You may have to reach down and put a little pressure on
her chin again to make sure her bottom lip is flanged out nicely and not
rolled in. I had to do this a lot with Hunter because he was so sleepy. I
also was determined to make sure he got a good latch so I'd redo it as many
times as necessary. I didn't have him very close to the breast. If he was
close he wouldn't open wide but just sort of slide on. Luke was more alert
so just automatically opened wider and latched on nicely.
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 28th 05, 05:25 PM
Clisby

Andrea S wrote:

Well I am breastfeeding again, but this little girl has a tiny mouth..
Kamron had a large mouth, and we did well. Erin latches on well with her top
lip but not her bottom one. I am raw and tearful. Was thinking about using
my pump for some relief...

Andrea mom of 6 now...

My son didn't have a particularly small mouth, but for the first 2
months, I exclusively used the football hold - I could latch him on much
better that way. I think it makes it much easier to force down the
bottom lip - and I could really see what he was doing more easily.

Clisby
Old October 28th 05, 11:21 PM
Anne Rogers

Well I am breastfeeding again, but this little girl has a tiny mouth..
Kamron had a large mouth, and we did well. Erin latches on well with her
top lip but not her bottom one. I am raw and tearful. Was thinking about
using my pump for some relief...

I don't think mouth size can vary all that much, I think it is how much they
open their mouth, Nathanael was not keen to open it wide at all, Ada was
mostly fairly good. With Nathanael I would rub my nipple against his check
to try and stimulate him to open his mouth, it sometimes worked! Also I
found that the standard cradle and cross cradle hold didn't really work, it
had to be football hold, or lieing down.

Anne

Old October 29th 05, 12:34 PM
Jo

Andrea S wrote:
Well I am breastfeeding again, but this little girl has a tiny mouth..
Kamron had a large mouth, and we did well. Erin latches on well with her top
lip but not her bottom one. I am raw and tearful. Was thinking about using
my pump for some relief...

Andrea mom of 6 now...

Andrea I'm sorry! It really takes a little of the romantic-ness out of
your babymoon, doesn't it? I know how you feel. Whatever you do, if
you have raw areas, don't let them get soggy with breast pads on for too
long - that's how I got thrush and my raw area took about 10 weeks to
heal because of that. I rested my nipples for 24 hours and it did help
- just did finger suck training and squirted the EMB in via syringe.
This helped him to learn how to suck properly, too.

Good luck!!

Jo
Old October 29th 05, 02:34 PM
Andrea S

"Jo" wrote in message ...

Andrea I'm sorry! It really takes a little of the romantic-ness out of
your babymoon, doesn't it? I know how you feel. Whatever you do, if you
have raw areas, don't let them get soggy with breast pads on for too
long - that's how I got thrush and my raw area took about 10 weeks to heal
because of that. I rested my nipples for 24 hours and it did help - just
did finger suck training and squirted the EMB in via syringe. This helped
him to learn how to suck properly, too.

Good luck!!

Jo

I didn't have soreness this bad with my other 5.. was shocked to realise
that it can still happen to me. My midwife said I have some pretty
impressive equipment lol and that is why Erin is struggling. She can't get
it all in her mouth. I have a big scabby crack on each nipple in the same
place, so she told me to use the football hold to avoid the cracks.
I did supplement with formula with the others, but will not 100% this time.
Am pumping and getting 2-4 ozs each side and am freezing it. We found out
the day after Erin was born my husbands Mother had been operated on and her
womb has cancer that needs chemo, so we want to be able to leave Erin if
needed.

Dad feeds her one bottle of EBM once a day from a Haberman feeder, Erin
loves it.

Andrea.

Old October 29th 05, 02:36 PM
Andrea S

"Nikki" wrote in message ...

I don't know if my babies had big or small mouths? Make sure she is
opening her mouth wide. You can do this by putting a little pressure on
her bottom chin or even waiting until she starts with a little cry.
Quickly get her on the breast then. You may have to reach down and put a
little pressure on her chin again to make sure her bottom lip is flanged
out nicely and not rolled in. I had to do this a lot with Hunter because
he was so sleepy. I also was determined to make sure he got a good latch
so I'd redo it as many times as necessary. I didn't have him very close
to the breast. If he was close he wouldn't open wide but just sort of
slide on. Luke was more alert so just automatically opened wider and
latched on nicely.
--
Nikki

Midwife says it's my equipment being too big lol! Erin can't get her bottom
lip into the correct position. Am usuing the football hold for relief.

Andrea.

Old October 30th 05, 09:14 PM
Andrea S

Anne wrote

did someone actually look at your latch? I think it would be very difficult
to say categorically that it's impossible for it to get better without her
growing without a detailed look at what is going on.

good for you for perservering though

Anne

Yes my midwife did. She says it's my boobs being to big and Erin can't get
enough in.

Andrea.

Old October 31st 05, 09:06 AM
Andrea S

*HUGS* Andrea.

I know exactly how you feel. I didn't cry during labour (unmedicated
home water birth) but I sure as hell did while breast feeding in the
early weeks with my raw nipples. I too found that the nipple shields
made it worse.

Not doubting you or anything, but I just find it so hard to believe that
nature would get the sizing match so wrong with babies and breasts.
Have you let her suck on your finger to make sure her technique is ok?
Otherwise just make sure you keep the nipples really clean and moist
(not wet). Apply hindmilk after expressing, let that dry, then with a
very clean finger, put on some lanolin so you dont get scabs - now they
hurt!

*HUGS* again! You know its not forever, but damn it's disappointing in
the meantime.

Jo

I am usually a D cup when feeding.. momma nature decided to suddenly make me
an F cup!!! My nipples are huge as is my areola.

I have managed to put her to the breast for 2 feeds so far.. I left it a
whole day before trying and my nipples feel better. I also rolled a towel
and put it under my breast like the lactation adviser told me and that
leaves my hands free.. takes 6 or 7 attempts to get the latch right. She
told me to see my boob as a Big Mac! There's no way you can fit it all in..
so I squash it down as much as poss.

I hope we are on the right track.

Andrea and baby Erin Elizabeth.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
Jo

Andrea S wrote:

I am usually a D cup when feeding.. momma nature decided to suddenly make me
an F cup!!! My nipples are huge as is my areola.

I have managed to put her to the breast for 2 feeds so far.. I left it a
whole day before trying and my nipples feel better. I also rolled a towel
and put it under my breast like the lactation adviser told me and that
leaves my hands free.. takes 6 or 7 attempts to get the latch right. She
told me to see my boob as a Big Mac! There's no way you can fit it all in..
so I squash it down as much as poss.

I hope we are on the right track.

Andrea and baby Erin Elizabeth.

Well done I hope it all gets better from here

Jo