4 month checkup

Old November 2nd 05, 10:28 PM
Sarah Vaughan

Default 4 month checkup

In message , Rebecca Jo
writes
I do have some milk pumped & frozen for emergencies but if there isn't
an emergency & there isn't someplace I need to go where the baby cannot
also go, I see no reason to get him used to bottles. I'm perfectly
content to nurse him on demand.

Hmmm - I think the problem with that is that in case of emergency you're
not going to have time to get him used to bottles. If, say, you
suddenly had to go into hospital and Alexander wouldn't take milk in any
other way, it could be pretty unpleasant for both him and whoever was
taking care of him.

(Which, of course, is not the same as saying that you should start
leaving him for more than two hours just for the sake of doing so if you
don't want to do so. That's rather silly.)

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished
they’d spent more time at the office?

Old November 3rd 05, 08:03 AM
Mum of Two

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
In message , Rebecca Jo
writes
I do have some milk pumped & frozen for emergencies but if there isn't an
emergency & there isn't someplace I need to go where the baby cannot also
go, I see no reason to get him used to bottles. I'm perfectly content to
nurse him on demand.

Hmmm - I think the problem with that is that in case of emergency you're
not going to have time to get him used to bottles. If, say, you suddenly
had to go into hospital and Alexander wouldn't take milk in any other way,
it could be pretty unpleasant for both him and whoever was taking care of
him.

Babies don't starve themselves though, do they? DD was never keen on a
bottle and wouldn't take one from me (yuck, Mum, what is that hard thing
that tastes of silicone?) but she did take EBM with vigour when she _had_
to, e.g. when I was getting my wisdom teeth out, or at the funeral for a
friend's child etc and someone else was looking after her.
IME some babies won't take EBM from Mum, because they know she has the
goods, but left with a non-lactating caregiver they're much more likely to
go for it.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,