Birth Control... TMI post.. lol

Old December 21st 04, 10:32 PM
Tori M.

Default Birth Control... TMI post.. lol

After I had Bonnie i was not "in the mood" for MONTHS after she was born..
Well now with Xavier I have had days that I felt like Jumping DH.. Only
thing stopping me is that I am not on any sort of birth control.. BUT I can
not decide what sort to use :-/ With the pill I am moody, with the shot I
gained 12 lbs in 3 months.. So that leaves barrior methods and DH wont do
condoms and I dont think I could do a diaphram.. I have never been able to
reach my cervix so that leaves an IUD or natural family planning.. I actualy
did the natural family planning as best that I could but my cycles get
messed up so they are not ALWAYS X amount of days.. When those of you are
TTC and you chart your body temp how do you do that? Also If you got an IUD
what would be the SHORTEST amount of time you would concider leaving it in..
I am thinking we will probably TTC again in about 18-20 months unless we
decide at that time to wait longer.. I am already ready to have another but
we can not afford it and really I am not THAT insane to listen to me so soon
after birth

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Old December 21st 04, 11:13 PM
JennP

"Tori M." wrote in message

I have never been able to
reach my cervix so that leaves an IUD or natural family planning.. I

actualy
did the natural family planning as best that I could but my cycles get
messed up so they are not ALWAYS X amount of days.. When those of you are
TTC and you chart your body temp how do you do that? Also If you got an

IUD
what would be the SHORTEST amount of time you would concider leaving it

in..
I am thinking we will probably TTC again in about 18-20 months unless we
decide at that time to wait longer.. I am already ready to have another

but
we can not afford it and really I am not THAT insane to listen to me so

soon
after birth

IMO, I don't think I'd do an IUD for only 18-20 months. You *can*, but I
think it is meant to be a longer term method. Also, I know finances are an
issue for you, but certain insurance companies don't cover the device, only
the insertion and removal. IIRC, the device will be about $300. Of course,
over time the IUD is more cost efficient but I don't know if it would be
over the course of 18-20 months.

If you look into NFP, I would really study it first and learn as much as you
can before starting. There is a NFP book but also, Taking Charge of Your
Fertility goes into depth on how to chart and read temperatures along with
other reliable fertility signals. HTH

JennP.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:20 AM
CY

FWIW, I could never reach my cervix either but I get along fine with my
diaphragm. Your OB can tell you how to insert it and will let you practice
then she/he will check the position. Of all the bc methods I have tried, I
have found the diaphragm to have the least side effects. And recently I've
been able to reach my cervix too, now that I know where it is G

LOL.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
A&G&K&H

"Tori M." wrote in message
[...]

I've got a Mirena (hormonal IUD) and love it. Its on the NHS here and only
cost me $23 and lasts five years.
If we wanted to TTC again, we can pretty much start again as soon as it is
removed.
Even though it is hormonal, it doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects
on my moods or my weight if that helps you at all.
HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old December 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Kaybee

Tori,
When we were considering birth control after Eva we were looking into a form
of IUD. What the doctor told us is to look at the amount of time that we
wanted to wait TTC again. We thought about it and decided that we wanted to
start TTC a year after Eva was born. So we sat with the doc and figured out
the prices. It would come to a little over 600 for the IUD. It came out
that it was going to be cheaper for us to use the pill. It was a low low
dose I never felt so good to be on the pill I wasn't moody. He also gave me
a couple of months worth of samples to help with the cost of the pill.

I wish you luck with your decision.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old December 22nd 04, 08:11 AM
Jenrose

"Tori M." wrote in message
Also If you got an IUD what would be the SHORTEST amount of time you
would concider leaving it in.. I am thinking we will probably TTC again in
about 18-20 months unless we decide at that time to wait longer..

I got the mirena IUD knowing we'd be trying in about 18 months. Given that
our copay was about $120, getting the IUD in made a whole lot of financial
sense.

Oh, and I only had to pay for insertion. I removed it myself--just pinched
the strings between my fingernails and pulled very, very slowly. No pain--if
it had hurt, I would have stopped, but honestly I didn't really feel it, it
was so not a big deal. Darned hard to get ahold of the strings, but once I
had them, no big deal.
Jenrose

Old December 22nd 04, 01:49 PM
Naomi Pardue

Also If you got an IUD
what would be the SHORTEST amount of time you would concider leaving it in..

For me that would be mostly a financial questions. IUD's aren't cheap. If your
insurance covers a reasonable portion of the cost, I wouldn't hestitate to use
one for just a couple of years. If you're paying OOP, you'd have to ask
yourself if it's worth the expense to YOU. (My Mirena cost about $500 -- I had
to have it removed after only a few months, and I'm SUPPOSED to be getting a
refund from the manufacturer. I need to call them again about it....)

did the natural family planning as best that I could but my cycles get
messed up so they are not ALWAYS X amount of days..

Natural family planning is NOT 'rhythm' and is useable even if your cycles vary
in length. There are MANY books available on how to use the method, and how to
chart your cycles. (If you are breastfeeding, [don't remember if you are], know
that LAM (lactational amenhorrhea method) is usable for the first 6 months, as
long as you havent' yet had a period and are nursing on demand.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old December 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message Od1yd.303453$R05.180982@attbi_s53, JennP
writes
IMO, I don't think I'd do an IUD for only 18-20 months. You *can*, but
I think it is meant to be a longer term method. Also, I know finances
are an issue for you, but certain insurance companies don't cover the
device, only the insertion and removal. IIRC, the device will be about
$300.

!!!!! Do you make IUDs out of solid platinum in the US, or what??
They're about £7 - 9 over here.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Old December 22nd 04, 06:00 PM
Melania

Naomi,
I can't get over how many people a) don't understand this, b) don't
think it works. My MIL (physiotherapist) and FIL (doctor) kept bugging
me not to just rely on bf as birth control in the early days, because a
friend of theirs' daughter got pregnant 8 mos post partum while stil
bfing. Yes, but that was after 8 months, with a baby who was getting
lots of solids. Then, of course, when your kid is a year old and you're
still nursing, a little switch gets flipped in their heads and they
start saying "you're never going to get pregnant again if you keep
nursing that kid." Surprise! I did it!

Can't offer much advice to the OP, since we started trying immediately
when my cycles *finally* came back (13 months after birth) and it took
us 7 months to get there. DH doesn't like condoms but prefers them to
abstinence , so that's what we use for shorter term BC. We get
Kimonos online, which are more comfy for him and much thinner than the
average 7-11 variety (and cheaper, too). Hope that's not an over-share.
Melania

Old December 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:32:17 -0600, Tori M. wrote:

When those of you are TTC and you chart your body temp how do you do
that?

I use a whole range of things: temperature and CM are not the best in my
case, but CP is definitely clear each cycle. However, with you saying that
you cannot reach your cervix, that may be tricky ;-)

What I found useful, was using an ovulation tester that looks at your
saliva. If it dries up in a fern pattern, you are in your fertile period.
It is not very helpful on its own, and it requires some learning how to
read it, but can give you a better clue if temping isn't as clear as you
would like.

If you decide to temp, make sure you use the same thermometer, temp at
around the same time every morning before getting out of bed. Sickness and
parties can significantly alter your temps, but you usually know when
that's the case. Checking CM is also straightforward, you don't need to
reach your cervix, you can also make due with CM further 'down'. A wet and
slippery feeling is typical during your fertile period.

HTH!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)