Biting help please!

Old February 14th 04, 11:17 PM
Lora R

Default Biting help please!

Hello,

My son was pretty early getting teeth--he got two bottom teeth at 3.5
months. Now he's 4.5 months and one on top came in 3 days ago. Ever
since the top tooth came in, he's been biting me nonstop. I've read
the archives for suggestions, and I've been saying OUCH and smooshing
his face into my breast until he lets go, then not letting him nurse
for a bit while giving him something he can bite. I've also been
praising him when he does latch on without biting. He only bites
while latching on, and sometimes he'll bite me 5 times or so before I
can get him to latch without doing it. My nipples are sore, and I'm
getting frustrated and nervous when it's time to nurse. :-(

Do you think he's a bit too young to understand what I mean when I say
ouch and don't let him nurse for a bit? I feel bad because he looks
scared when I do it and I know he's not doing it purposefully to hurt
me. I have been giving him tylenol and ibuprofin when he seems to be
in pain and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone help? 3 days of tons of biting is wearing me out!

Thanks very much,
Lora
Old February 15th 04, 02:49 AM
Marie

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:17:46 GMT, Lora R wrote:
I feel bad because he looks
scared when I do it and I know he's not doing it purposefully to hurt
me. I have been giving him tylenol and ibuprofin when he seems to be
in pain and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Try letting him chew on some ice secured inside a washcloth. That
seemed to help with baby#3. I know it's a horrible feeling!! I would
get so upset I'd cry before I even started nursing my daughters until
they had stopped for a day.
Marie
Old February 15th 04, 03:25 AM
Lora R

Marie wrote:

Try letting him chew on some ice secured inside a washcloth. That
seemed to help with baby#3. I know it's a horrible feeling!! I would
get so upset I'd cry before I even started nursing my daughters until
they had stopped for a day.
Marie

Thanks Marie, I'll give the ice a try. He's asleep now, and hasn't
ever bitten me at night, but I'll try it before his first feed
tomorrow. Thanks for the commiseration, it is awful! I didn't expect
the biting part to be so bad, and then he started doing it and I see
it's quite terrible.

Thanks,
Lora
Old February 15th 04, 10:28 AM
starbar

Hi,

Try holding his nose closed with your fingers, until he unlatches.
Should stop biting after a few times of doing this.
Worked a charm with my daughter.

Good luck
Sarah
Old February 16th 04, 10:26 PM
Lora R

starbar wrote:

Hi,

Try holding his nose closed with your fingers, until he unlatches.
Should stop biting after a few times of doing this.
Worked a charm with my daughter.

Good luck
Sarah

Thanks, this is a great idea. We had a good day of only one bite
yesterday, and so far today he's bitten me 6 times. I've done the
nose holding thing twice, and he hates it, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!
-Lora