punishment

Old July 17th 03, 10:54 PM
MarjiG

Default DVD/VCRs in cars (was punishment)

In article , Scott Lindstrom
writes:

This is veering off topic, but I don't understand the
need for, say, DVD players in a car so you can see
a movie while driving. If your kid is bored, so be
it. Let them learn to cope. What's the deal with
constant entertainment?

Hopefully, you can't actually see it while driving, but while riding there are
times they are helpful.

We mostly use ours when driving after dark, when reading and most of the other
car games don't work as well.

-Marjorie

Old July 17th 03, 11:22 PM
Elizabeth Gardner

Default punishment

In article ,
==Daye== wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:26:24 EDT, Elizabeth Gardner
wrote:

There shouldn't be any home dividend for getting into trouble at school
or daycare, IMO.

I agree. Actually, your list of what is okay for the child to do
sounds fine. It gives them something to do without any special
rewards.

Frankly, I'm not sure how I could stop her from reading or playing with
toys, short of locking her up in a room stripped of all possible sources
of entertainment. Not that I'd want to. But I can stop her from
watching TV (my husband has made it too complicated for her to turn on
without my aid), and using the computer (because I'm using it for my
work, which is one reason she's in daycamp to begin with).

Luckily for us, outside authority figures rarely report any problems.
It's only us she's likely to act up with.

Old July 17th 03, 11:42 PM
Banty

In article , "E" says...

the one point I haven't heard is "what if not going to the day care center
was not an option?" what would she have done then?
Edith

Found another option.

Banty

Old July 17th 03, 11:43 PM
Beeswing

"E" wrote in message
the one point I haven't heard is "what if not going to the day care

center
was not an option?" what would she have done then?

Since all the other kids were going on the field trip, it would have
tied up a teacher to watch my kid back at the center. It seemed best for
all concerned to keep her at home.

beeswing

Old July 17th 03, 11:59 PM

"Beeswing" wrote in message
"E" wrote in message
the one point I haven't heard is "what if not going to the day care

center
was not an option?" what would she have done then?

Since all the other kids were going on the field trip, it would have
tied up a teacher to watch my kid back at the center. It seemed best for
all concerned to keep her at home.

beeswing

OK, I'm glad that was able to work out OK. I'm just concerned because it
will not be an option for me when I go back to work as my DH and my jobs are
not that flexible. I was just wondering what the other options were.
Edith
nak

Old July 18th 03, 02:08 AM
Lee

"E" said:

OK, I'm glad that was able to work out OK. I'm just concerned because it
will not be an option for me when I go back to work as my DH and my jobs are
not that flexible. I was just wondering what the other options were.
Edith

A brat at the daycare we use was recently suspended for a few days
for, among other things, hitting a little girl, and then scratching
her and hitting two other kids when he found out that somebody had
told on him.

If the parents both work, I suppose one had to call in sick or take
vacation time, or they had to impose on a friend or relative or pay
the drop-in rate at some other care center.

You can never rely on a daycare center to be available every day.
Sometimes they take holidays that your work doesn't observe.
Sometimes your child will be sick and won't be allowed to attend.

Old July 18th 03, 03:16 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Karen G wrote:
That the tv/vcr was that effective gives a clue that tv is not on all
the time at your house.

No, it's not, but the 2yo watches more than the others, and more than
I'd ideally like him to (averages about 1.5 hours per day, I'd say).
The big kids watch almost no TV at all -- maybe an hour or two per week!

For short trips (less than one hour), a tv is probably not
necessary--even for a two year old.

Oh, sure, we do a 45-minute drive twice daily with no TV. I'm talking
about longer trips (3+ hours) for the most part. That said, now that
we have the TV, I have been known to stop by the library on the way
home for a video for the 2yo on a day when he had a poor nap and has
been falling apart over next to nothing before getting in the car....
Listening to crying/screaming for 45 minutes, and I have done it, has
a very bad impact on my nerves and the older kids' as well! Not every
day, by any means, but 3 or 4 times per month when we're having a rough
day...

--Robyn

Old July 18th 03, 04:54 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Scott Lindstrom wrote:
Six days of driving in 2 weeks. Ugh.

Amazingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

Maybe I have peculiar kids, or a faulty memory (or both!), but
I don't recall too onerous a time with DD or DS at age 2. Our
longest trip I recall was about 13 hours -- Memphis to Madison
in one day. Normally, as long as they had occasional
new things to look at, or crayons, or even better, magnetic
toys or tootsie pops, things were okay. But the last hour
of this drive, about 9:30 at night, was a little tense

Pre-TV-in-the-car, the things we used to entertain the other
kids as toddlers were similar, but also lots of music they
liked. (Unfortunately, we were not as fond of it, especially
after long hours of listening to it. A side advantage of the
VCR was with all kids plugged into that, we could listen to
"our" music in peace. Lots of snacks too. We still used
a lot of those types of distractions on this trip, but with
nap schedules getting mangled over the course of the trip, etc.
we did have some times when the 2yo was just inconsolable,
except by TV. And, oh, what a blessing it was in those cases!

Prior to the TV, it was almost inevitable that the last half hour of
any trip 3 hours or longer would end with whichever child was the baby
or toddler at the time screaming. How they sensed that it was the last
half hour, I'll never know. By that point, none of the usual
distractions worked. But somehow the TV seemed to do it. Perhaps
because, as Karen G pointed out, it's not on all the time at home.

--Robyn

Old July 19th 03, 09:39 PM
H Schinske

Colleen Kay Porter ) wrote:

We use books on CD from the public library when we are on long road
trips.

On our recent trip to California, I brought _Come Sing, Jimmy Jo_ (on tape) and
_A Cricket in Times Square_ (on CD) along, as the best I could find in the
library at the last minute. _A Cricket in Times Square_ was so scratched that
we couldn't listen to it, a pity as it might have made a lot more sense to the
4-year-old than _Come Sing, Jimmy Jo_ did.

We don't have a lot of luck with CDs from the library -- out of several music
CDs I checked out at the same time, I think only one was really listenable.

--Helen

Suppose we Outlawed Punishment? Nathan A. Barclay General 33 July 5th 04 03:22 AM
paradigms of spanking Doan General 0 January 3rd 04 07:03 PM
Pakistan Bans School Corporal Punishment Chris General 1 November 23rd 03 09:30 PM