Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

Old November 13th 03, 11:12 PM
Ann Porter

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

"Marie Houck" wrote in message

I don't think Katherine Hepburn ever married, and she has the added
benefit of having played scandalously strong women on screen.

And she spelled her name "Katharine," which is an unusual spelling if you're
going for unusual.

(OT: Hey, Marie, great to see you again!)

Best,
Ann

Old November 13th 03, 11:16 PM
Donna Metler

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
In article ,
andrea baker wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Personally, I don't think Hypatia rolls off the tongue very easily. I
like Artemis, but especially if you decide to go with it for a first
name, you might want to be aware of the Artemis Fowl books where the title
character is an approximately 12yo boy (though he does mention in the
first book, I think, that Artemis is really a female name).

That said, whatever you name your child, your horrified parents will get
used to it, and eventually they won't be able to imagine her having any
other name.

Of course, I named my boys very common names, so you might not be
interested in my opinion.

Good luck with the pregnancy and with settling on a name!

There's a book (The Ship Who Searched, by Anne McCaffery) with a character
named Hypatia, who goes by Tia-which seems to work well. There's several
places where the precocious main character, as a young child, explains the
derivation of her name. To this sci-fi buff, that's actually a stronger
association than the original.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old November 13th 03, 11:44 PM
David desJardins

Ann Porter writes:
I don't think Katherine Hepburn ever married, and she has the added
benefit of having played scandalously strong women on screen.

And she spelled her name "Katharine," which is an unusual spelling if
you're going for unusual.

Unfortunately (?), she was married from 1927 to 1934. It's not clear if
the OPs "name of a strong, unmarried woman" includes women who got
married and then got unmarried.

David desJardins

Old November 14th 03, 12:51 PM
chiam margalit

Banty wrote in message ...
In article , Bev Brandt says...

Banty wrote in message

'Artemis' is a better-known mythological figure, and no obvious reason to tease
about it comes to mind. So make that the first name.

Banty

"Artemis-fartemis."

Well, you can rhyme anything.

Ah well, as someone said. They all get teased. Don't know how many
Beverly Hillbilly references I've heard in my life. And don't get me
started on the whole "beaver" thing...

I so think 'Artemis' works better as the first name.

Or, as someone else said, maybe names are so different these days that
teasing is starting to get boring for the kids. I recently asked my
oldest about some of the more unique names in his 2nd grade class.
When I indicated that a name was unusual, he looked at me like I had 2
heads. So maybe it really doesn't matter any more.

My oldest has recently discovered that he has a last name as a first
name. And it's the same last name as a famous older comedian. Right
now he thinks it's cool. We shall see.

My daughter's name is a font. Someone'll figure that out someday, I'm
sure. She might not be too happy. (It's also the name of an ancient
Greek poetess, so it could balance out.)

'Helvetica Brandt'? Hopefully not "WingDings Brandt' :-)

Although I LOVE WingDings as a name, I'm guessing it might be Ariel.
It couldn't Times New Roman. :-)

Marjorie

Youngest has a "normal" name. He might end up being the odd man out
because of that.

I know a couple who named their first two children John and Mary. Both family
names which mean a lot to them. But one of their favorite stories to recount is
about their friend who said 'baby-naming books were wasted on you'.

I have a friend who took 3 FULL weeks after the birth to come up with
the names John and Michael for her twins. She swears she just didn't
know who was who for a while, but really....John and Michael? :-)

Marjorie

Banty

Old November 17th 03, 08:04 PM
Fer

"andrea baker" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name.

Although I think I am of the minority I LOVE Hypatia. I think it is a
beautiful name and had no thoughts of medical conditions when I read it LOL
Artemis is also a good name and they sound good together.

It seems that the likelihood of teasing for strange/usual names is
declining. After all the names I come across at my children's school are
far from the norm( well the norm when I was a child) and I hear of no
reports of name teasing, other teasing yes unfortunately.

--

Jenn
-WAHM

My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

-Andrea Baker

Old December 16th 03, 10:34 PM
Louise

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:04:21 EST, (andrea
baker) wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

How is your son dealing with having a slightly unusual name? Does he
go by a nickname? Do classmates and teachers try to bestow nicknames
on him?

To me, Hypatia is a bit too unusual - not commonly known, and hard to
pronounce or spell . I was about to suggest that you reverse the
order of names, because I think Artemis would be much more easily
accepted. Then I remembered that there is a current series of fantasy
books for young people in which the author or main character or both
(I haven't read them) is called Artemis Fowl and is male. This of
course annoys the teenage classicist at our house, but it means that
some people are going to think that Artemis is a male name, at least
in the short term.

Have you read the Madeleine L'Engle books in which one character is
named Polyhymnia? (In the last book, where she is seventeen, she has
changed her nickname from Poly to Polly.)

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

I'm drawing a blank right now, but might dig up our companion guide to
Judy Chicago's Dinner Party to jog my memory.

Wishing you and your family all the best,

Louise

Old January 2nd 04, 01:08 PM
AlliCT

baker) wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

For what it's worth, and PMJI, but I find the more exotic names are
much better accepted when the child is surrounded by diversity. I
teach in an inner city high school and the range of unusual and
somewhat unpronouncable names is amazing. But all these "unusual"
names FIT the kid they're attached too. So, we don't get teasing and
bullying. But if your daughter is going to be surrounded by one
primary sociogroup where your chosen names are eyebrow raisers, how
much explaining and defending of +your+ decision do you want your
daughter to have to do? Not that I ever want to increase the number of
Brittany, Ambers and Tiffanys...but........what about plain old strong
women names, married or not?

My mother was a strong, unmarried woman at one point in her life, as
was my husband's mother. So we gave our second son their unmarried
names. (Bernadette Marion was a bit too weird for an infant boy....but
Ryan Brown sounded great to us.

Regards, and what a lovely dilemma you have to solve. Mazel Tov.

Allison (God's truthful one)