4/5 yo sleep problem

Old July 20th 04, 03:58 PM
KD

Default 4/5 yo sleep problem

My 4.5 yo outgrew her nap a year or so ago. She spends the day in
daycare so is up early in the morning (6:30 AM) She occasionaly falls
asleep during the day/afternoon and takes a short nap (15 - 20
minutes). On those days when she naps she has a heck of a time
falling asleep at night. Last night she was up until 10:30. Part of
her problem I think is that she now gets so upset about not being able
to fall asleep (Mommy, I just can't fall asleep!) that I think she is
getting herself worked up enough that she's causing bigger problems.
If she'd just relax, I think she'd have an easier time. When she's
not tired, I don't have a problem with her sitting up with her light
on and looking through her books. Problem is, she gets bored with
that after an hour or so, but is still agitated about not being able
to fall asleep so it keeps her up even later. Needless to say, I'm
kept up too (which I wouldn't mind too much except I also have a 3
month old and I'm struggling to get at least 6 hours of (very
interupted) sleep each night.)

Any suggestions on how to help her? I know if she's not tired there
isn't much I can do to make her tired, but how can I help her relax a
little so she can drift off without getting all riled up about not
being able to sleep? Hot milk? Boring TV shows?
Old July 20th 04, 05:23 PM
Mary E. Hill

"KD" wrote in message
[...]

My son saw a doctor who suggested a very low dose of Melotonin to help him
fall asleep. He's very (extremely) energetic and gets very frustrated at
night. He tells me he's SO tired but he just can't stop moving.

So, we tried it (it's a naturally occuring chemical manufactured by the
brain) in a .3mg dose, giving him two. They are capsules that we open and
mix with chocolate milk. For the first time in two years, my child can go to
sleep at a normal hour (not 11pm!) without struggling. He wakes up in the
morning with a smile, on time for daycare. I'm so happy, I can't see
straight.

Of course, I'm sure some here will think we shouldn't do this (even though a
doc told us to do it), but it's working and he's getting much more out of
his day now that he's not dragging butt and grouchy all the time from being
over tired.

We tried milk (the calcium is supposed to help), a regular routine of
reading and bath before bed, we tried forcing him to stay in his dark room
with me for hours (this was pure hell and made me cry too many times from
guilt) trying to fall asleep - - you name it, we've tried it.

We've used the Melotonin for only just a week now, but my son is so much
better during the day now. He's behaved, cheerful and alert - not tired,
grouchy and unhappy.

Sorry for going on so long, I'm just so relieved to be able to help him
sleep!!!!!!!!

Let us know how your endeavor goes - I'd like to see what other ideas there
may be that I haven't tried yet.

Mary

Old July 20th 04, 07:39 PM
hobbes

"KD" wrote in message
My 4.5 yo outgrew her nap a year or so ago. She spends the day in
daycare so is up early in the morning (6:30 AM) She occasionaly falls
asleep during the day/afternoon and takes a short nap (15 - 20
minutes). On those days when she naps she has a heck of a time
falling asleep at night. Last night she was up until 10:30. Part of
her problem I think is that she now gets so upset about not being able
to fall asleep (Mommy, I just can't fall asleep!) that I think she is
getting herself worked up enough that she's causing bigger problems.
If she'd just relax, I think she'd have an easier time.

I think this is the key. DS isn't as old as your daughter, but we also
struggle with helping him learn to sleep--and sometimes I feel that he just
keeps himself awake with figiting and whatnot. So we're trying to teach him
how to lie still and relax. It's not easy at this age, but worth trying. I
wouldn't let her have her light on, or books to read--too stimulating. I'd
try a relaxing bedtime routine--bath, stories, warm milk or chamomile tea,
etc. Make sure things are calm and quiet in the house for a good hour before
you want her to go to bed. Consider playing lullaby music or trying some
sort of white noise--a fan or a sound machine. Lie down with her and talk
her through a relaxation exercise. "Close your eyes. Take a deep breath.
Feel your arms getting heavy. . . " Try to get her to imagine herself
melting like butter or sinking into the mattress, or floating on
water--something she can relate to. You might want to try leading her
through some stretches before bed as well. I don't think I'd ever allow my
kids to have TV in their rooms, but if you played a really boring video
(thinking Baby Einstein type stuff--music and images), would she fall
asleep? Just brainstorming here.

Her schedule is busy enough that even with a short nap, she shouldn't have
so much trouble at night. But some people (my brother is one) just have a
really hard time being able to fall asleep. I have trouble too,
sometimes--my brain just doesn't want to shut down, and thinking certain
things makes me feel jumpy and wakeful. So I can sympathize with these poor
kids. Summer is always worse too, with it staying light outside so late. Is
her room nice and dark and cool?

No great suggestions, sorry. Just some brainstorms. Hope you find a
solution. It might not hurt to talk to her doctor for other options.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (3 years, 5 months) & Arwen (15 months)

Old July 20th 04, 09:33 PM
Mary E. Hill

"Chris Himes" wrote in message
m...
(KD) wrote in message

Any suggestions on how to help her? I know if she's not tired there
isn't much I can do to make her tired, but how can I help her relax a
little so she can drift off without getting all riled up about not
being able to sleep? Hot milk? Boring TV shows?

At the risk of developing another unwanted sleep association, you
could try tapes/CDs. My kids listened to some wonderful bedtime tapes
by Jim Weiss--you can order them from
www.chinaberry.com. The tapes
have 4 or so relaxing, quiet stories that gradually become slower and
more settling, sort of like meditation tapes for kids. They served as
a good bridge for my boys.

Chris

This is a good idea - This did work for me when ds was younger - there is
one cd in particular that worked for him titled 'the floppy game'. Slow
relaxation technique that's calming and cute at the same time