Post-partum swelling?

Old May 14th 04, 09:02 AM
Lindsay

Default Post-partum swelling?

Angela Schepers wrote in message news:wbxoc.77507$0H1.7223595@attbi_s54...
I gave birth to a baby boy last friday afternoon. Going into the
hospital I had developed a little swelling in my feet and hands but
nothing that would be considered "cankles" or excessive. Baby and I
came on Monday and since then my ankles and feet have began to swell up,
my right foot being more puffy than the left. My fingers have also
began puffing up as well but not nearly as much as my feet. It's not
going down or going away and is becoming increasingly uncomfortable and
painful. I've tried applying an ice pack and putting my feet up when
I can but doesn't seem to be doing any good. Any suggestions as to how
I can get the swelling down or should I contact my OB or family
practitioner? Could something be wrong? I'm beginning to become really
concerned about it as it's starting to get painful. Help!?!

Angela
Quinn Alexander 5/07/04

Since you've already contacted your doc, which would have been my
first recommendation, here's what happened to me.

I was only prepared for this because while my labor was being induced
the midwife told me that after she'd had her baby she swelled up
loads, more than she ever had before.

I also swelled up even more, and I was swollen from high blood
pressure already! But I was in hospital for 4 days after the birth
(c/s) with my blood pressure being checked, which was normal, and the
midwives weren't too concerned. One told me it would go down when I
moved around more, not sure if that was what did it. What I did was
make sure I was warm all time so I sweated it out. Again not sure if
that worked or it was just happening naturally anyway.

I know I found no way to relieve the pain and after they'd gone down
they were still tender for days.

Lindsay
DS 24th March 2004
Old May 14th 04, 10:20 PM
Angela Schepers

Yeah, I had IV fluids during my labor. It's required by the hospital
and it wasn't that big of a deal to me so I was ok with it. Hopefully
that's all this is but it's not getting any worse so I suppose that's a
positive. If it's not gone in a couple weeks I'm going to contact my
doctor again about it though.

I had swelling after #2 and #3. It was in my case because I'd had IV
fluids. Apparently it's not uncommon to have feet and ankle swelling
post-partum if you had IV fluids during labour. If you did it will go
down slowly and probably take about 2 weeks to completely go away.

Old May 18th 04, 04:16 PM
Angela Schepers

woohoo! I have ankles again.... the swelling finally went down and it's
much more comfortable. Though now I have another problem. The calf in
my left leg has spasmed or cramped a couple times over the past couple
nights, always when I'm lying in bed asleep. It feels like the mother
of all charlie horses and it's got my calf so tight now that I have to
walk with a limp and I can't flex my toes or the ball of my foot very
far back to stretch the muscle. *sigh* I'm hoping it stops soon. I
think I heard once that these are caused by a vitamin deficiency of some
kind. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Old May 18th 04, 05:58 PM
Sophie

woohoo! I have ankles again.... the swelling finally went down and it's
much more comfortable.

Good. That sounded scary to me.

Though now I have another problem. The calf in
my left leg has spasmed or cramped a couple times over the past couple
nights, always when I'm lying in bed asleep. It feels like the mother
of all charlie horses and it's got my calf so tight now that I have to
walk with a limp and I can't flex my toes or the ball of my foot very
far back to stretch the muscle. *sigh* I'm hoping it stops soon. I
think I heard once that these are caused by a vitamin deficiency of some
kind. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Potassium I believe.