First Motorcycle...

Old January 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
wrestleantares

Default First Motorcycle...

My daughter wants her own motorcycle. At this point the only riding
she has done at all in a parking lot (with a helmet) I am just not
going to take a four year old out on the road with me. She loves to
come outside when I get home and get on the bike and ride it into the
garage with me.

She calls her Barbie 3 wheeler her motorcycle.

This weekend when we went out to look at bikes she wanted to get up on
virtually every machine in the dealership. Of course she was
fascinated by the bikes that were her size. Especially the little 50
in the Honda dealership that sported the little two wheeled training
system.

At this point I told her she is too young for her own motorcycle.

At what age she will be ready will depend upon many personal factors,
and whether or not it will be something she will stick with (enjoyment
riding - not racing).

That said, at what age are children starting to ride the small bikes
in general.

Old January 22nd 04, 10:30 PM
Extreme-cc's

"wrestleantares" wrote in message

[...]

today kids have a very relaxed life style. many times instead of playing
ball and doing other activities they sit and watch the many available cable
channels
or video games for hours. if they want something it is usually right there
for them.
I think a regular bike is not only great exercise but might also be
a good training for a future motorcycle. 4 years old? buy a bicycle that
looks like a motorcycle.
diabetes and other health issues are on the rise all around the world many
of which could have been avoided
with just a little more exercise. not to mention you are going to have all
the 5 - 6 and god forbid 7 year olds ( you know how kids are today)
going after the new motorcycle chick on the block. lol would look cute
seeing her all decked out in leather.
all of the above is jmho.
Tom

Old January 22nd 04, 10:41 PM
Ari Rankum

wrestleantares wrote:
My daughter wants her own motorcycle.

[snip]

That said, at what age are children starting to ride the small bikes
in general.

I've seen reports on this very board of little girls as old as 39 having
trouble with motorcycles. Maybe that's just the difference between
riding on salt flats and riding in Manhattan.

Ari

Old January 23rd 04, 05:28 AM
Robert Bolton

"wrestleantares" wrote in message

My daughter wants her own motorcycle. At this point the only riding
she has done at all in a parking lot (with a helmet) I am just not
going to take a four year old out on the road with me. She loves to
come outside when I get home and get on the bike and ride it into the
garage with me.

That said, at what age are children starting to ride the small bikes
in general.

My brother rode a Honda 90 trail when he was around 7, but he had to stand
it up along side the porch to get on. It had an automatic tranny, which
helped. They had some TV show on awhile back that showed a 4 year old ride
into the back end of his dad's pickup and hit the opened tailgate with his
face. Kids can panic and freeze.

Age 7? Off road in a large open area, no pavement.

Robert

Old January 24th 04, 03:25 PM
Jeff

I would carefully learn about the risks of kids riding motorcycles and the
injury and rates.

Personally, I see no problem with kids learning to ride a motorcycle,
properly supervised, around 8 or 9, as long as they are properly supervised
until they are much older, like 16 or even older. However, there is not a
set age. It depends on you and the child. And you have to weigh the risks
and benefits (both of which can be large) carefully.

They key is proper supervision and training for her.

However, I would agree with the other poster who suggested that learning to
ride a bicycle is a better option first, so she gets excercise. Plus, she
can learn balance and stuff with a regular bicycle. I am sure that I
definitely would not let someone who doesn't know how to ride a bicycle
first. And, I would encourage you to ride your bike with her and your
helmets (there should be a rule in the house: no one (including adults)
rides on bicycles, motor cycles, skis, snowboards, scooters or skateboards
without appropriate safety equipment, including helmets).

Jeff

Old January 24th 04, 07:00 PM
Nick - V~8395

"Jeff" wrote ...
I would carefully learn about the risks of kids riding motorcycles and the
injury and rates.

If you're that risk-averse, why are you riding? Did you analyze injury and
mortality rates for motorcyclists before riding a motorcycle? I'm not
saying all children should be placed on bikes... that's absurd. But I do
believe that assuming reasonable precautions and controlled conditions, a
child of adequate size (i.e., reaches pegs and can hold arms around the
rider without issue) riding as passenger is no big deal. That said, it's a
very controversial issue. I first rode at eight; my wife first rode at
three! -- guess what, we're both here to tell the story.
--
Nick
'02 Streak *RED*

Old January 24th 04, 07:46 PM
Jeff

"Nick - V~8395" wrote in message
.. .
"Jeff" wrote ...
I would carefully learn about the risks of kids riding motorcycles and

the
injury and rates.

If you're that risk-averse, why are you riding? Did you analyze injury

and
mortality rates for motorcyclists before riding a motorcycle? I'm not
saying all children should be placed on bikes... that's absurd. But I do
believe that assuming reasonable precautions and controlled conditions, a
child of adequate size (i.e., reaches pegs and can hold arms around the
rider without issue) riding as passenger is no big deal. That said, it's

very controversial issue. I first rode at eight; my wife first rode at
three! -- guess what, we're both here to tell the story.

Actually, I don't ride. ;-) But I am not opposed to bike riding under safe
and controlled conditions, including adequate supervision and proper safety
precautions (actually, this applies to everything for kids, actually -- of
course properly supervised in older kids might mean talking to them about
what they did while out on the trail with their friends -- kids don't need
parents or adults with them every second as they get older).

This was crossposted to misc.kids.

I realize there is risks and benefits in everything, inlcuding bike riding.
To make a good decision, you need to know what the risks are, and that means
research.

If I lived in an area that was condusive to riding in the mountains or on
trails, I probably would get a 4 wheeler or a bike (or both). And, if I
would certainly enjoy riding with my kids, either on the bike or on their
own bikes. However, I would certainly make sure I understood the risks and
took all reasonable steps to reduce the risks.

Jeff