No duh!! Research Reveals Divorce as Top Threat to Families

Old November 12th 04, 11:26 PM
Dusty

Default No duh!! Research Reveals Divorce as Top Threat to Families

Research Reveals Divorce as Top Threat to Families

The most prominent threats to families in Protestant communities are
divorce, negative influences from the media, and materialism.

Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2004 Posted: 2:01:06PM EST

According to a study conducted by Ellison Research released in the
November/December edition of "Facts & Trends" magazine, the most prominent
threats to families in Protestant communities are divorce, negative
influences from the media, and materialism.

The research team selected a sample of 695 Protestant church ministers who
answered a list of questions focusing on traditional families. The results
of the survey indicated 43% over all of pastors agreed that divorce is the
greatest threat. The rest of the list (as listed on LifeWay website)
included:

.. Negative influences from the media (38 percent)
.. Materialism (36 percent)
.. Absentee fathers (24 percent)
.. Families that lack a stay-at-home parent (22 percent)
.. Co-habitation before marriage (18 percent)
.. Pornography (17 percent)
.. Morality not being taught in schools (14 percent)
.. Poverty, unemployment, and/or a poor economy (13 percent)
.. Parental alcohol use/abuse (12 percent)
.. Parental drug use/abuse (11 percent)
.. Drug use/abuse among teens or children (8 percent)
.. Teen sexual involvement/activity (8 percent)
.. Alcohol use/abuse among teens or children (6 percent)
.. Adultery (5 percent)
.. Poor schools or quality of education (4 percent)
.. Teen pregnancy (2 percent)
.. Sexual predators or sexual abuse (1 percent)
.. The expense of child care (1 percent)
.. Other issues (12 percent)

However, the perceived threats to family provided by Pastors differed
somewhat by region. For example, co-habitation was seen as a great threat in
the Midwest compared to other regions. Meanwhile, parental alcohol abuse was
considered as a major problem by Western ministers.

Differences of opinion and perspective were also found among different
denominational groups. For instance, Methodist Pastors focused on parental
alcohol and drug use along with other economic issues. Meanwhile,
Pentecostal ministers showed concern for morality and tended to be less
concerned about materialism. However, clergy from different perspectives
were united in evaluating potential threats to traditional families.

When asked whether or not the raditional view of family (husband, wife, and
children) no longer really exists in American society, about half of the
ministers agreed with the statement, while the other half disagreed.
However, most of pastors agreed that No matter how society defines family,
churches need to promote a traditional view of family (husband, wife and
children).

"Facts & Trends," where this study is being published, is published by
LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention. For
information about "Facts & Trends," contact Chris Turner at 615-251-2307.

Partick Duong

http://www.christianpost.com/dbase/s.../section/1.htm

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old November 13th 04, 05:10 AM
JSS

And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

Jeff

Old November 13th 04, 05:29 AM
Kenneth S.

The study outlined below was sponsored by a church organization. I'm
curious to know whether any churches in the U.S. are, or were, active in
resisting the trend towards easier divorce. I've seen no evidence of this.

A little personal story may illustrate the point. A few years ago, at
the beginning of the legislative session in my own state, some churches
organized a campaign to persuade state legislators to do more to protect the
interests of children. It was clear from the campaign literature that the
measures the churches were supporting were the conventional liberal agenda
of taxpayer spending that was supposedly designed to prevent childhood
poverty.

As it happened, the woman who was coordinating the campaign was someone
who, before she moved to the state capital, had been a member of my own
church. I met this woman at one of the gatherings to promote this allegedly
pro-child agenda, and I asked her -- as gently as possible -- whether those
involved in the campaign were aware that by far the best measure to prevent
childhood poverty was the two-parent family. She showed no awareness of
this well-established fact, and I saw no subsequent indication that this was
being incorporated into the campaign.

It seems to me that churches, like virtually all other organizations in
the U.S., show little recognition of the damaging effects of divorce on
children and no willingness to do anything about the problem. No doubt this
is due in part to a simple unawareness of the facts. However, I suspect
that part of the reason is that liberal activists hijack the public policy
agendas of churches, in the same way that they hijack the public policy
agendas of almost EVERY organization that is not overtly conservative.

Old November 13th 04, 12:17 PM
krp

"JSS" wrote in message
news
And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

Old November 14th 04, 07:02 AM
Robert Gautier

"krp" wrote in message news:GXmld.2600$h15.119@trnddc07...
"JSS" wrote in message
news
And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

That would be true in your case Kenneth since you are on your third
ripping apart of families.
Old November 14th 04, 11:47 AM
krp

DAVID DENNIS MOO
"Robert Gautier" wrote in message
om...

And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

That would be true in your case Kenneth since you are on your third
ripping apart of families.

Moore as ever you maintain your status as the net's leading asshole. Say
Davey, where is your "PROOF" you claimed you'd be having on your website
about my marriages? You promised "ALL THE INTIMATE DETAILS." Documentation
of all the police reports YOU CLAIM ON YOUR HONOR (ha ha ha ha) that you had
and would have UP soon. WHERE IS IT DAVEY??????

Say Davey what is HILARIOUS is that in one post you claim that I am still
married to my second wife. You SCREAM IT HYSTERICALLY... Now you claim I am
on my third marriage. Which LIE of yours are you claiming ON YOUR HONOR to
be the truth today? Oh you won't answer it will you Davey?

Old November 14th 04, 08:49 PM
Robert Gautier

"krp" wrote in message news:bBHld.3684$d96.1490@trnddc01...
DAVID DENNIS MOO
"Robert Gautier" wrote in message
om...

And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

That would be true in your case Kenneth since you are on your third
ripping apart of families.

Moore as ever you maintain your status as the net's leading asshole.

Tough break Kenneth. Maybe you'll think twice before busting up
another family. Every wife you drive off takes your history with her.
You can't stay married. No woman will let you stay married to her.
Three times. That is bad.
Old November 15th 04, 01:34 PM
Kenneth S.

"krp" wrote in message

> [...]
"JSS" wrote in message
news
And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

That would be true in your case Kenneth since you are on your third
ripping apart of families.

Although I (Kenneth S.) have participated in this thread, I have to
assume that the above comment does not relate to me. I seem to remember
some very tiresome personal vendetta that some months ago was being pursued
through this news group. I trust it is not going to be revived.

Old November 15th 04, 03:27 PM
GudGye11

Perhaps he's saying, in a sort of roundabout way, that you have tried to tear
apart any semblance of family sought to be established by Anna Nicole Smith
(a/k/a The Widder Marshall) in her attempts to finally get past her finanicial
hardships and courtroom proceedings. Face it, Kennth...she's moving on with
her life, a life without you, and no interference on your part in her future
relationships is going to change that fact.

In article , "Kenneth S."
writes:

. com...

Old November 15th 04, 05:36 PM
P.Fritz

"krp" wrote in message

> [...]
"JSS" wrote in message
news And I always thought it was marriage because without marriage there
could not be any divorces.

They say that marriage IS the leading cause of divorce.

That would be true in your case Kenneth since you are on your third
ripping apart of families.

Although I (Kenneth S.) have participated in this thread, I have to
assume that the above comment does not relate to me. I seem to remember
some very tiresome personal vendetta that some months ago was being
pursued
through this news group. I trust it is not going to be revived.

RG is a alias of david moore.........best to ignore him.