Is it illegal to kill the Ice Cream Man?

Old August 8th 03, 09:48 PM
Sonnie B.

Default Is it illegal to kill the Ice Cream Man?

My DS & DD finish they're lunch around 11:30-1:30 pm, depending on the
flow of the day.

Their naptime is usually one hour or so after lunch, again depending
on the flow.

Just when the kids are finally asleep and cozy, and I begin daily
cleanup and so forth,
I hear that sound...

It is the sound of the Western mythical legend, the fabled and beloved
Ice Cream Man.

He drives around our silent neighborhood every day at about 1:45 pm,
or as it may seem to me,
whenever the kids go down for a nap. I suppose things fluctuate
depending on the flow of his day.

The warbled tune of I'm a Little Teapot desperately tins out of the
beat up old truck as he goes
slower than a ninety-two year old blind man looking at house numbers.

As he draws nearer to our house, the music grows louder and more
garbular, until, with the
inevitability of an earthquake cracking the ground, my DS & DD wake
up. Most often only after
a 15 to 20 minute nap.

Nobody comes when the Ice Cream Man is calling; it is a ghost town
here. Most parents here
have either high school kids or young children like me. We've
discussed this nuissance and it
appears there isn't much anybody can do.

I've asked him quite politely and directly that it might be better if
he came around three o'clock.
All our kids are awake and we'd be more likely to want snacks at that
time.

Unfortunately, the young Mafioso-type only sneered, wiped the trickle
of blood from his lip
and said, "I have to keep my route."

I didn't realize that there were such stringent guidelines to the Ice
Cream Delivery Profession.
What local would that be again?

It has gotten to the point where we now have to take a drive to get
our kids to nap for a decent
amount of time. I hate to disrupt their schedules by waiting for the
Ice Cream Man to come by
and then bolt for the bedrooms once he's gone.

Would it be just way too much to call the cops and ask for their
assistance with this? It seems
rather drastic a step to take over such a stupid thing.

Any thoughts at all? Thanks for reading ~ SB
Old August 8th 03, 09:59 PM
Banty

In article , Sonnie B. says...

Unfortunately, the young Mafioso-type only sneered, wiped the trickle
of blood from his lip
and said, "I have to keep my route."

Young "Mafioso-type"? What is it about it that makes him a "Mafioso-type".

Just imagine this - for every family with delicate senses that have their
children nap at 1:30, another one is nearby that features napping children at
2:45! Even if there isn't necessarily - it is a good exercise to take one's
imaginings out of the realm of Oneself vs. All That Affects Oneself.

Turn on the AC, develop a habit of playing some soft music while the lightly
sleeping dears nap, get a white-noise generator, or otherwise convert some of
the efforts put into your composition to the endeavor of solving your own
problems.

Cheers,
Banty

Old August 8th 03, 10:09 PM
P. Tierney

"Sonnie B." wrote:

Would it be just way too much to call the cops and ask for their
assistance with this?

It wouldn't do any good, as they aren't doing anything illegal.
I would try to insulate the sound in their room better and/or
ask the driver if he can come down your street at another time,
or perhaps adjust the music coming out of the truck downward a bit.

P.
Tierney

Old August 9th 03, 12:06 AM
iphigenia

Sonnie B. wrote:

Any thoughts at all? Thanks for reading ~ SB

Try a white-noise generator?

I know there's not much to be done, but I do sympathize, as there's an ice
cream guy who drives through our apartment complex. I'm wondering if it
couldn't be construed as against the no-solicitation rule for the complex...

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 9th 03, 12:50 AM
GI Trekker

Any thoughts at all? Thanks for reading ~ SB

Try a white-noise generator?

Ooookay, given that ever since I got new neighbors in my apartment complex this
past week who like to play music -- just at the outside range of my VERY
sensitive hearing and far too quietly for security to hear it, just enough to
annoy the ^@!&* out of me and keep ME from sleeping at 1:30 IN THE &^%&! A.M.
(sorry, but I'm a little testy from lack of sleep), is this "white noise
generator" something that might be of assistance to me? Where would I get one
and how much would it cost?

As for the ice dream driver, find out who his supervisor is. The way you
describe him it sounds like he wasn't especially courteous to you. That alone
could get him into some trouble (I hope), and if you explain that yours are
practically the only kids on the block when he jingles his way through and
you're trying to get them to take naps at the time, maybe you'll have some
luck.

Barring that, buy a high-powered BB gun and aim for the speakers. (KIDDING!)
Old August 9th 03, 12:57 AM
H Schinske

I just wanted to mention that this is not a new problem. Our babysitter when I
was little once said bitterly to my mother that she was about ready to take the
Popsicle Man and shove a stick up his rear and put him in the freezer.

There are times I'm quite sorry I haven't seen this woman since I was three or
so. She seems to have been quite the character. I dare say she's dead now, she
smoked pretty heavily. :-(

--Helen
Old August 9th 03, 12:57 AM
Sue

Well a couple of things you can do:

1. Put a fan in their room so it blocks the noise.

2. Call the company and ask them politely to change the time of day the
truck goes through. Perhaps adding that after dinner would be a better time
and there would be more kids to actually buy ice cream.

I am thankful that my kids were able to sleep through anything.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

om...

Old August 9th 03, 02:06 AM
sacred pnats

On 8 Aug 2003 13:48:20 -0700, (Sonnie B.) wrote:

[...]

Teach your kids to sleep through noise.

You must really hace no life to actually hace teh balls to tell teh ice cream
man to not come by while your kids are sleeping. Why teh hell should some guy
who is just doing his job hace to accomodate you?

Old August 9th 03, 02:20 AM
iphigenia

GI Trekker wrote:

Where would I get one and how much
would it cost?

Try Target/Wallyworld/Bed Bath & Beyond - that sort of place. Homedics makes
them. Mine's just a little machine that has buttons for ocean, rain, jungle,
thunder, brook, etc. sounds. DS naps much more soundly with it on. You can
also get CDs of this kind of thing, called "sounds of nature" or some such.

Old August 9th 03, 02:31 AM
Waterloo

"Sonnie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

you should keep that post - one day you will look back and laugh! sorry
that i am laughing kind of funny, but i can see it is a real problem.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm icrecream