14 month old constipation issues

Old January 17th 06, 04:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default 14 month old constipation issues

Hi all,

Our 14 month old seems to be getting really constipated. I don't know
if that's the right word in this case. He does have a BM daily but it
seems painful, takes 2-3 tries (often) and then when it does finally go
through, he cries (sometimes screams). So it seems like it's really
painful. It's aweful to watch it, especially since we can't do much
other than hold him or his hand.

Tried the following:

- Avoided BART.
- Lots of prune juice in milk (1oz of prune, 7 oz of milk)
- Prune (baby food) in his cereal in the morning
- Veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots), fruit (pears, dried figs, orange),
high fibre pasta, high fibre bread, waffles, lean beef, refried beans
(tried twice only)
- Avoided Cheese
- Make him drink more water (not sure if it's enough - 3-4 cups/ day)

The only concern is that he drinks a fair bit of milk, about 30oz/day.
It's all whole milk as well. We tried adding water, so sometimes the
milk is 60% water and 40% milk.

Sorry about the graphic detail here but, the other thing is often his
BMs contain this hard chunk and a lot of mushy stuff. So it's almost
like the prunes etc are working but they're not really.

We will be talking to his doctor about it in a couple of days but was
wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old January 17th 06, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Taylor has been fairly constipated since early on. She always strains when
having a bowel movement. For a long time Taylor didn't eat much in the way
of solids, but drank a LOT of milk. Now we've been on 2% since she's been
on milk, but milk still has a lot of solids in it, and it's constipating. I
don't know that the extra fat in whole milk would affect the solids issue.
Perhaps try getting him to drink one or two bottles of apple juice cut with
water (50/50 or 25% water, 75% juice) instead of those same two bottles of
milk. I'd also try to see if he'll eat raisins or other dried fruits and
applesauce. Both of which are good for keeping things moving. Finally, at
times Taylor has had a poop that has a hard front end, followed by softer
mushier stuff. I think the hard poop acts like a plug, but once that comes
out, the softer stuff follows. It would sound to me like you are on the
right track, and just need to up the poop-softening foods, while cutting
back a bit on the milk.

Good luck.
--

Jamie