Q?: Protein in = Protein out?

Old April 9th 04, 05:02 PM
chris

Default Q?: Protein in = Protein out?

Hi all!

We just had our 6 month check up. Everything is going
well, DS is developing normally in every way except
weight. He currently weighs 13lbs 5oz which is just
below the curve on the groth charts. The doc isn't
frantic, she acknoledges the progress he's making in
every other arena, but she would still like to see him
put on some weight. 2 pounds in 6 weeks.

To accomplish this, she suggested an increase in protein
intake through nursing (even) more and introducing yogurt.
She asked how I felt about formula and after making the
yucky face, dropped it quickly (which I have been *very*
pleased with.) She concentrated on the nursing, making
sure I use both breasts at each feeding and yogurt every
day.

So, for those of you who are still with me

Is is possible to increase the protein in my BM? If I
eat more proteins, will I produce more? (Breast milk, that
is Any other suggestions on how to beef up this kid?
I had joked about feeling him some lead pellets before his
next weigh in, which is about the only thing I can figure
at this point. Any thoughts on the yogurt thing? We
had been holding off all dairy until after 1 year. Now,
I'm not so sure (thinking cheese, which she said we could
offer in a little while, is a nice protein and fat source)

Thanks as Always!
Chris.
(& and her 6 month old string bean
Old April 9th 04, 05:14 PM
nina

Default Protein in = Protein out?

my baby is also tiny, she will be at the 5% mark on her 6 month bday, i too
am trying to get her to put on weight
she's genetically destined to be small,but i would like her to fatten up as
well
i dont have any answers so im looking forward to any responses here

Old April 9th 04, 05:18 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

If your baby is developing well in all domains except weight, why are
you worrying about what the scale says? How big were you parents at the
same age? Some infants are just skinnier than others, and that's fine
so long as it's genetic. At the age of six months, breastmilk alone is
supposed to be sufficient so long as your baby is getting enough of it.
(And no, it doesn't matter so much what YOU are eating as long as you're
eating a normal, healthy diet. Your breastmilk will be just fine.)

That said, is there a particular reason that you're delaying dairy until
12 months? Not that it's an essential in anyone's diet, but it sure is
convenient. If there IS a reason, such as a family history of (any)
allergy, then continue avoiding yogurt and cheese.

If your baby is starting solids, consider avocado for plenty of
calories. Protein should still come right from the tap, though.

Another thing to consider would be a shortage of iron. Six months is
about the point when some baby's start losing their iron levels. If
these babies don't get other sources of iron, then they can get in some
trouble. THe only way to tell is with a blood test. Note that I said
SOME babies; others maintain sufficient iron levels much longer.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old April 9th 04, 09:49 PM
chris

Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi -

If your baby is developing well in all domains except weight, why are
you worrying about what the scale says? How big were you parents at the
same age? Some infants are just skinnier than others, and that's fine

I am not frantic over it and the doctor is "keeping her eye on it."
I keep saying that someone has to be in the lower 5% Hubby was a
long skinny baby, but not this skinny. I was of average baby pudge.
Part of me does wonder if there's anything I should be doing different,
though.

(And no, it doesn't matter so much what YOU are eating as long as you're
eating a normal, healthy diet. Your breastmilk will be just fine.)

Okeey doke.

That said, is there a particular reason that you're delaying dairy until
12 months? Not that it's an essential in anyone's diet, but it sure is

Probably me just reading too much. I though I had seen where it
was a Goog Thing to avoid dairy until 1 year due to the increased
possibility of developing an allergy to it. We don't have a history
of food allergies, but hubby's family has a history of bad inhalant
(sp?) allergies. If it doesn't matter, then we'll rock on with the
dairy!

If your baby is starting solids, consider avocado for plenty of

I was looking at avocado nutritional info last night. It also has
some proteins as well. Almost bought one today

Another thing to consider would be a shortage of iron. Six months is
about the point when some baby's start losing their iron levels. If

He's eating iron fortified cereal everyday. About 1/2 cup or more
(after being mixed w/ EBM.)

Thanks for your input!
Chris.
Old April 10th 04, 12:47 AM
nina

"chris" wrote in message
Beth Kevles wrote:

[...]

I'd read to use avocados as well. I bought 2 today. We will see how it goes.

Old April 10th 04, 01:01 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

If your baby has a family or individual history of ANY allergy, it's
recommended that you follow the sequence for the introduction of solids
for the allergic (and allergy-at-risk) child. My web site has a link to
a good such site. Dairy is definitely one of the delayed foods in this
case, although I no longer recall precisely how long a delay is
recommended. Ten months rings a bell, but that may be the marker for
something else ...

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 10th 04, 04:06 AM
Tina

chris wrote in message ...
Hi all!

We just had our 6 month check up. Everything is going
well, DS is developing normally in every way except
weight. He currently weighs 13lbs 5oz which is just
below the curve on the groth charts. The doc isn't
frantic, she acknoledges the progress he's making in
every other arena, but she would still like to see him
put on some weight. 2 pounds in 6 weeks.

I have to say, unless he was born weighing 10 or 11 pounds, or has
gained and then lost weight, I'm actually stunned that your doc thinks
he should gain that much more weight. I was dealing with weight
issues with both of my daughters for so long, and still am with one,
and even though boys and girls grow differently, neither of my girls
weighed 13 pounds until after their first birthday.

To accomplish this, she suggested an increase in protein
intake through nursing (even) more and introducing yogurt.
She asked how I felt about formula and after making the
yucky face, dropped it quickly (which I have been *very*
pleased with.) She concentrated on the nursing, making
sure I use both breasts at each feeding and yogurt every
day.

Both breasts at each feeding sounds good, if he's interested for that
long, but he may be due for a growth spurt soon anyway, so the point
will be moot, and he'll be insisting on both breasts, all the time!
I'd definitely make sure that the doc/nurse is checking his height
(length) at each visit, too. If he's growing longer very quickly, or
at least growing longer at all, that's a good sign that he's fine -- a
*lot* of kids have a drop in weight curve that is natural (for them),
not so many have a drop in height curve. In my kids, for example, one
maintained her height curve, one didn't -- the one who didn't had some
additional health problems that we uncovered. She also didn't drop
off the charts until over 1 year, she just hovered around the bottom.

So, for those of you who are still with me

Is is possible to increase the protein in my BM? If I
eat more proteins, will I produce more? (Breast milk, that
is Any other suggestions on how to beef up this kid?
I had joked about feeling him some lead pellets before his
next weigh in, which is about the only thing I can figure
at this point. Any thoughts on the yogurt thing? We
had been holding off all dairy until after 1 year. Now,
I'm not so sure (thinking cheese, which she said we could
offer in a little while, is a nice protein and fat source)

I don't know about increasing the protein, but I do think you can
increase the fat. I think they've measured that different diets can
change the fat content in breastmilk. If you were holding off on milk
because of a family history of allergies, I'd continue to wait. In my
younger daughter's case, she had developed a sensitivity to dairy
through my breastmilk, and that was causing her slowed growth.

If you have no allergy issues (none at all, whole family), I guess
cheese would be OK (the notion scares me personally, but I have a
highly atopic family!). I think Kefir (I hope I'm spelling that
correctly, it's a dairy 'beverage', like a drinkable yogurt) is a
first food in some countries, maybe you could look into that.

Thanks as Always!
Chris.
(& and her 6 month old string bean

Good luck! It sounds like you've got a little roly-poly from my
perspective! Keep feeding him well!

Tina.
Old April 10th 04, 05:22 AM
Cadie

They say yogurt and cheese (in a non allergy baby of any sort) at 8
months. But hold off on cows milk straight until at least a year.
There's something in the process of making cheese, and the fermenting
of the milk for yogurt that makes it not have the same affects on
babies intestines.

Cheese never agreed with Aries, and he doesn't like yogurt though...
so no dairy here... LOL

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

If your baby has a family or individual history of ANY allergy, it's
recommended that you follow the sequence for the introduction of

solids
for the allergic (and allergy-at-risk) child. My web site has a

link to
a good such site. Dairy is definitely one of the delayed foods in

this
case, although I no longer recall precisely how long a delay is
recommended. Ten months rings a bell, but that may be the marker

for
something else ...

--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic
Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as

medical

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you

would
like me to reply.

Insomnia Zaz Pregnancy 8 July 3rd 04 07:00 PM
Protein sqyre Pregnancy 2 May 27th 04 04:35 PM
Preventing Preeclampsia Leslie Pregnancy 17 April 20th 04 02:08 PM
anyone dealing with milk protein allergy? jojo General 6 January 7th 04 06:17 AM
allergic to milk protein...how long? jojo General 0 July 8th 03 05:49 PM