Problems Babyproofing Oven Door

Old September 4th 04, 12:43 AM
Paula

Default Problems Babyproofing Oven Door

My 13 month old is so strong, he can almost get the oven door open. He
can also break off those cheap, plastic safety first stove locks that
go on the side of your stove. I've seen some with suction cups and a
belt like clip that is supposed to hold the door closed, but I am not
sure my stove has enough room at each side for the suction cups. Do
they have stove locks that are magnatized or something like that? I
am trying to find something new on-line with no luck. I know it could
be worse (like another poster who said her toddlers can get into the
dishwasher and sink with the knives!!!)

Can anyone offer some babyproofing advice? I am trying to teach him
'no', but so far that is not working! I've also tried ignoring him
hoping he would bore of playing with the oven door. That hasn't
worked either.

Why, oh why, don't they make ovens with doors that LOCK! They lock
when they are self-cleaning!!!! *^%#!

HELP!

Paula and a very adventurous Evan!
Old September 4th 04, 01:58 AM
toypup

"Paula" wrote in message
om...
My 13 month old is so strong, he can almost get the oven door open. He
can also break off those cheap, plastic safety first stove locks that
go on the side of your stove.

We've used this one with DS: http://www.babyant.com/bh043050.html We put
it vertically, with the snap on the top. DS would hang off the oven door.
He was about 20 pounds at the time. Of course, even with the lock, I tried
to stop him, but I wasn't very successful at it. Seems like whenever I
looked over, there he was hanging.

I was always afraid the door would drop open and my son would hit his head
on tile or burn himself. Only that one little strap was holding it closed
and the lock is a very simple one. It was only childproof as long as he
didn't see me open it, and I made sure never to open it in front of him.

DS is no longer hanging off the oven door. The door itself is broken, won't
stay closed on its own because of the weight of DS hanging off of it. The
strap however, is still holding strong. You'd never think in a million
years this little strap would hold up so well just by looking at it, but can
vouch for what it did for us. Trouble now is I can't get it off. The
adhesive sticks like cement. Oh well, we can let it last through DD.

Old September 4th 04, 03:37 AM
Tori M.

"Paula" wrote in message
om...
[...]

We keep Bonnie from the stove by saying "Hot, Hot.. Owie" whenever we go
near it.. I am guessing if regular no's dont work this might be a bust for
you as well Now when we are at my friend Debs house and her littlest boy
goes near the stove Bonnie will lead the little Boy away.. Hehe "Hot, Hot,
Owie" the whole way away.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old September 4th 04, 04:38 AM
Amy

"Tori M." wrote in message

We keep Bonnie from the stove by saying "Hot, Hot.. Owie" whenever we go
near it.. I am guessing if regular no's dont work this might be a bust for
you as well

Not necessarily...kids seem to understand 'hot' from a young age, especially
if they get a small burn. 'No', on the other hand, tends to be repeated back
to Mum & Dad as soon as they learn what it means, before that it just makes
them want to repeat the offending action ;-)

Old September 4th 04, 04:56 AM
Leslie

Tori said:

We keep Bonnie from the stove by saying "Hot, Hot.. Owie"

This is similar to what we say: "Hot Hot Burn Burn" about all hot things--we
have been saying it since William was born and he moves far away from whatever
I tell him is hot!

It might help too to put baby's hand near the oven when it's on so he can FEEL
the heat.

OTOH, there are some kids who will get in to anything they can, no matter what.
I've had one of those too.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old September 4th 04, 12:59 PM
newfy.1

"Amy" wrote in message

"Tori M." wrote in message

We keep Bonnie from the stove by saying "Hot, Hot.. Owie" whenever we go
near it.. I am guessing if regular no's dont work this might be a bust

for
you as well

Not necessarily...kids seem to understand 'hot' from a young age,

especially
if they get a small burn. 'No', on the other hand, tends to be repeated

back
to Mum & Dad as soon as they learn what it means, before that it just

makes
them want to repeat the offending action ;-)

Found the same thing with the word "hot" also. I honestly think it is
because it sounds sharper and gets their attention quick. It almost startles
the child. Which, if you are talking an oven door is ok in my eyes.

JennP.

Old September 4th 04, 09:18 PM
Amy

"newfy.1" wrote in message

Found the same thing with the word "hot" also. I honestly think it is
because it sounds sharper and gets their attention quick. It almost

startles
the child. Which, if you are talking an oven door is ok in my eyes.

JennP.

Our dog understood the word hot. We used to serve him his food hot on
occasion, sometimes so hot it would have burned him. When he learnt the word
hot, he'd back off on our saying so and leave it to cool a while.
But then our dog had the intelligence/vocab of a two year old.