6 week imunisation - good or bad

Old July 16th 03, 03:58 PM
teapot

Default 6 week imunisation - good or bad

Hi all

I am a regualar at misc.kids.breastfeding having graduated from
misc.kids.pregnancy and I wondered if any of yu know any good sites
that will help us make an informed decision about 6 week vaccinations.

Currently we can find lots of negatives and not many positives. We
are thinking of postponing the vaccinations until he is a bit older,
possibly 4 months to get past the main risk of cot death.

Any advice/opinions would be welcome.

teapot
mum to Toffee 8th June 03

Old July 16th 03, 07:02 PM
Mark Probert

teapot wrote:

Hi all

I am a regualar at misc.kids.breastfeding having graduated from
misc.kids.pregnancy and I wondered if any of yu know any good sites
that will help us make an informed decision about 6 week vaccinations.

Currently we can find lots of negatives and not many positives. We
are thinking of postponing the vaccinations until he is a bit older,
possibly 4 months to get past the main risk of cot death.

Any advice/opinions would be welcome.

Try the US CDC website and see what they have to say.

Also check out what happens if you fail to vacciante.

Old July 17th 03, 05:24 AM
PF Riley

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:08:12 -0700, Bill Fischer
wrote:

Try www.immunize.org.

teapot wrote:
Hi all

I am a regualar at misc.kids.breastfeding having graduated from
misc.kids.pregnancy and I wondered if any of yu know any good sites
that will help us make an informed decision about 6 week vaccinations.

Currently we can find lots of negatives and not many positives.

The reason you don't find many "positives" is because not many people
complain anymore about their children dying of pertussis, diphtheria,
Haemophilus meningitis, etc. Instead, all they do is try to blame
anything and everything that can go wrong and have gone wrong with
children since the beginning of time on vaccinations. We have the
luxury now, thanks to vaccines, of no longer expecting that at least
some of our children will die of infectious diseases, so, as a victim
of their own success, vaccines have become easy targets for groundless
accusations.

We
are thinking of postponing the vaccinations until he is a bit older,
possibly 4 months to get past the main risk of cot death.

Vaccinations have absolutely nothing to do with SIDS. However,
pertussis is more and more deadly the younger an infant is. You are
running a higher risk of your child dying of pertussis before the age
of 4 months by not immunizing him than you are of somehow causing SIDS
before 4 months by immunizing him.

PF
Old July 17th 03, 06:09 PM
Mary Gordon

I have three kids, and we've had confirmed cases of whooping cough in
the neighbourhoods in recent years. Not too big a deal (although
certainly unpleasant) for someone in good shape, but really dangerous
for babies, old people, and those with other health problems.

Since its out there, you can either live in a cave or have your baby
immunized.

Mary G.
Old July 18th 03, 03:55 AM
CBI

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
PF Riley wrote:

The reason you don't find many "positives" is because not many people
complain anymore about their children dying of pertussis, diphtheria,
Haemophilus meningitis, etc.

They complain about it around here. An unvaccinated child passed along a
disease (I think it was rubella) to a pregnant woman at a school play and
she lost the baby. Yup, someone ELSE's kid got killed because those
parents chose not to vaccinate. Nice.

So you see the flaw in the arguments about it being your own personal choice
and no else's business.

--
CBI, MD

Old July 18th 03, 05:23 AM
Wendy Marsden

CBI wrote:

And besides - waiting until 4 months will not get you past the risk of SIDS.

And there-in lies the crux: there are risks to every decision. People who
studied this issue decided it was too important - too great a benefit to
pass up - so required vaccination for children in our society. Not
because they didn't value children or didn't mind endangering them, but
because they weighed the cumulative risks to those same children against
the risks of the vaccines and decided the vaccines were the best bet.

I'm not one that bows down to mass-mentality thinking all that often, but
I do believe that people who honestly know more about a subject can be
trusted to make decisions in that arena. I don't tend to substitute my
judgment for my pediatricians lightly where medical issues are concerned.

My advice is to ask your pediatrician. If you don't trust her answer then
find another pediatrician.

Wendy
Old July 18th 03, 06:29 PM
Mark Probert

Wendy Marsden wrote:

PF Riley wrote:

While I agree with you that the benefit of vaccination outweighs the
risk, which society are you talking about that "requires" such?

I just had a conversation with my child's preschool he's starting in the
Fall. A full vaccination record is the default with any other option not
mentioned as even a possibility.

I'm holding off on the chicken pox vaccine (with my ped's approval) and
despair of him ever catching it normally if the school gets fussy about
needing the vaccine to admit him. I'm not sure what religious grounds I
have when he's had all his other vaccinations.

Why woul dyou have any reservations about protecting him from such a
dangerous disease?

Old July 18th 03, 07:57 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I have evaluated the risks versus the rewards of my kid getting chicken
pox and I feel that the risk of complications from chicken pox during
childhood is less than the risk of complications from loss of immunity in
him as an adult. ...

That should be your right. The vaccination requirements make it
difficult for parents like you.

If your state and school accept religious or philosophical exemptions,
then you could claim an exemption to vaccines generally, and not
tell the school that your kid has actually had most of the vaccines.