Interacting with baby in the tummy

Old October 12th 04, 03:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Interacting with baby in the tummy

Kevin wrote:

Hi all,

I think the subject sounds a little weird, but anyways, here goes.. For the
past few weeks we've been trying different things to interact with the baby
but so far none have been successful. Other than tapping or rubbing parts
that stick and sometimes the baby kicks back ;-)

I've read on multiple occasions that the baby should respond to light and
sound at about 32 weeks. The suggestion was talking to it or playing music.
Well, we have done both but there does not seem to be any kind of movement
the head a couple of times (for real) but I was referring to movement in
response to specific sounds or music.

The other thing was the light test, apparently shining a flashlight on the
tummy could get the baby moving towards it or away from it. That didn't do
a thing. And we only tried it twice for a few seconds in fear of scaring
the baby.

One other thing we have tried to do without success is listening to the
heartbeat with a real stethiscope.... nada. I can clearly hear grumbling
tummy and the baby moving, kicking, punching etc but no heartbeat. You get
a gadget at BabiesRus that supposedly allows you to hear the heartbeat but
I'm a little concerned about using that for fear of impacting the baby. The
heartbeat is loud and clear at the Dr's office with the Mini-Dop device they
use.

Just wondering if anyone has feedback on the above. Not a big deal because
I know the baby is fine per the Dr's examinations etc.

None of it us unusual at all. Most of those heartbeat
devices are utter crap. The ones that aren't crap use the same
u/s technology as your doctor uses, and there may well be reasons
to avoid unnecessary exposure. Your baby may not choose to react
to some stimuli with vigorous movement, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that her or she doesn't perceive the
stimulus.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 12th 04, 07:22 PM
newfy.1

"Kevin" wrote in message

Just wondering if anyone has feedback on the above. Not a big deal

because
I know the baby is fine per the Dr's examinations etc.

Thanks,

I've never had the baby do anything that remotely resembled interaction
while in utero. The only time I can feel her truly respond is when they use
the doppler, she always moves away from it which I think is kind of
interesting.

JennP.

Old October 13th 04, 01:20 AM
Cathy

newfy.1 wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

Just wondering if anyone has feedback on the above. Not a big deal
because I know the baby is fine per the Dr's examinations etc.

Thanks,

I've never had the baby do anything that remotely resembled
interaction while in utero. The only time I can feel her truly
respond is when they use the doppler, she always moves away from it
which I think is kind of interesting.

Ditto here. A friend said their baby reacted to being tickled, but both
mine have done nothing (except detest the Doppler!).

Cathy

Old October 13th 04, 04:58 AM
Irrational Number

Kevin wrote:
Hi all,

I think the subject sounds a little weird, but anyways, here goes.. For the
past few weeks we've been trying different things to interact with the baby
but so far none have been successful. Other than tapping or rubbing parts
that stick and sometimes the baby kicks back ;-)

I've read on multiple occasions that the baby should respond to light and
sound at about 32 weeks. [...]

While this is fun and cool, my personal
opinion is that you shouldn't try too hard
to _interact_ with the baby. He's getting
enough stimulation as it is; he _can_ sense
light and dark and can hear things, as Mom's
stomach growls and blood rushes and liquids
gurgle. He really doesn't need _more_
stimulation than normal. You know that
you can read to the baby, right? And that
he'll remember the stories you've read to
him and prefer those after he's born.

-- Anita --

Old October 13th 04, 08:33 PM
toypup

"Kevin" wrote in message
I've read on multiple occasions that the baby should respond to light and
sound at about 32 weeks. The suggestion was talking to it or playing
music.
Well, we have done both but there does not seem to be any kind of movement
the head a couple of times (for real) but I was referring to movement in
response to specific sounds or music.

The other thing was the light test, apparently shining a flashlight on the
tummy could get the baby moving towards it or away from it. That didn't
do
a thing. And we only tried it twice for a few seconds in fear of scaring
the baby.

Just wondering if anyone has feedback on the above. Not a big deal
because
I know the baby is fine per the Dr's examinations etc.

The only time I saw DS respond to sound was via U/S, when he turned his head
towards the wand. I didn't actually feel him move, I just saw it on screen.

DD responded to me when I pushed her, because she was kicking me way up in
my ribs and it hurt. I was trying to get her to move and she did.

I know it seems like a long time, but the baby's almost here. You'll have
plenty of opportunity to stimulate it when it's here.