Update... PIH

Old August 10th 05, 04:40 AM
Chookie

In article . com,
"Amy" wrote:

If it stays at the mild end, you can argue for more waiting. This
will probably involve monitoring of your BP and various markers in your
blood,
and of the baby's wellbeing via CTG. If there's any doubt over the due
date,

CTG?

Cardiotocograph -- it monitors and plots the baby's heartbeat. My hospitals
wanted the baby to be active when they took it, so I asked for ice water.
Works every time.

What does pitocin do to blood pressure, anyway?

It may not do anything in itself, but being in pain would raise BP, I imagine.

I was told by a nurse that I will be monitored continuously, but the
way to get up and move around if I want to is to tell them I have to
pee. She said, "Just pee lots." And who wouldn't believe a
9-months-pregnant woman who said she had to pee?

Just get up and move if you need to. What are they going to do, throw you out?

When I was there last Sunday, and I was on the monitor, I found it very
difficult to move at all. Maybe it was because I was too focused on
what the monitor said (and I worried if I moved and "lost" the baby's
heartbeat). Maybe I'll just have to put a blanket over it and ignore
it when I'm really in labor, and let the nurses come in a thousand
times to fool with it, if they want to...

Thats their job. Your job is to have the baby. If the monitor slips that
isn't your problem. Remember that losing the trace doesn't mean the baby's
heart has stopped (if a tree falls in the forest where nobody hears it...).

I was told that they're going to want to give me an epidural, because
it lowers BP. It's not sounding like I'll have a whole lot of choice
in the matter.

There may be a point at which that happens, but that doesn't mean you have to
have one the minute you get in the door. Most likely they will have a magic
BP number -- find out what it is.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old August 10th 05, 10:49 PM
Joybelle

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
"All my plans for this birth have gone completely to ****."

I know what you mean... like someone else, I went from a planned
waterbirth at home to a C-section and a 4-day hospital stay, plus a baby
who was bottlefed formula in the nursery. Plus, I had no time to prepare
for it since it all happened in the midst of labor. Yes, it sucked, and I
still occasionally feel *a little* sad that we didn't get the homebirth.
But I'd much rather have my son!!! Good luck in these last few weeks
(days?? and as they say, keep your eye on the prize!!

I understand this feeling, too, Amy! I do have time to prepare, and that
is completely sucking at times. I think it doesn't help that I know this
will be the last baby. The birth experience is not the whole thing, but
it's okay to feel badly to not have the one you dreamed of/hoped for/wanted.
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01