Suppose we Outlawed Punishment?

Old June 17th 04, 10:19 AM
Nathan A. Barclay

Default Suppose we Outlawed Punishment?

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to stop
using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which all children
are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

At present, people who choose to parent without punishing tend to be
committed to an underlying philosophy of treating their children with
respect and putting their children's needs first. Their rejection of
punishment is not just a rejection of methods of punishment that are
normally illegal among adults, but a rejection of other forms of negativity
that are perfectly legal for adults to use on each other. Adults can nag
each other, yell at each other, and say hurtful things toward each other.
Adults can give each other the "silent treatment" and withhold affection
from each other in other ways. Adults can stop doing things for each other
that they've been doing, and start doing things that they know annoy each
other. And there are probably other little ways in which adults can punish
each other without violating the law. But such behaviors toward children
would violate the philosophy that normally underlies the choice of a
non-punitive parenting style.

Further, parents who choose to take a purely non-punitive approach to
parenting tend to be willing to put a significant amount of time and effort
into finding positive ways to deal with problems. They look for better ways
for the children to satisfy their desires. They explain why they want their
children to do one thing or not to do another. And so on.

But now consider what might happen if a bad parent is told, "You are no
longer allowed to do anything to your child that you could not legally do to
an adult." A parent who nags, yells at, and otherwise expresses negative
feelings toward a child is not going to magically stop just because
explicitly punishing the child is now illegal. On the contrary, at least
unless and until the parent learns better techniques, the nagging, yelling,
and other verbal negativity would probably get worse. Also, traditional
punishments might just be replaced with other, legal forms of negative
treatment.

Worse, some of the negative techniques of types adults sometimes use on each
other might actually show a greater rejection of the child as a person than
traditional punishments such as spanking, time out, or grounding would. If
a child can tie a punishment to a particular violation of a rule, the child
has at least a chance of recognizing that the punishment is a rejection of
the behavior, not of the child. But if, instead of a couple swats on the
bottom or a few minutes in time out, the parent decides to punish the child
by ignoring him for a couple days, the association between the behavior and
the consequence may be a lot less clear.

Consider what happens in marriages when spouses start treating each other
that way. Such situations often end in divorce and, if divorce were not
allowed, could easily end in a lifetime of escalating misery.

Steve could (and probably will) counter by arguing that parents should be
required not to do those kinds of things to their children either. But the
moment he does so, his philosophical basis collapses. His primary basis for
arguing that parents should not be allowed to punish their children comes
from an assertion that children have the SAME rights as adults. Attempting
to give children extra rights above and beyond what adults have would
violate that assertion, and if it is philosophically reasonable to consider
reasons why we might give children more rights than adults, it must also be
philosophically reasonable to consider why we might give them fewer.

In my view, the fundamental problem is not the fact that parents are allowed
to punish children in ways that would be illegal with adults, but rather in
the underlying attitude of parents who build negative relationships with
their children instead of at least primarily positive ones. And the
solution to that problem is education, not efforts to use punitive means to
control parents. We need to use the same positive techniques with parents
that we want them to rely on as at least their primary way of relating to
their children. And if we do so, we model the belief that such techniques
can work instead of modeling the belief that if you want people to change
their behavior, you have to use threats and punishment. (There are few
things more hypocritical or reflective of cognitive dissonance than the
attitude, "Punishment doesn't work, so we need to punish parents who punish
their children.")

That's not to say that we should revoke our child abuse statutes or anything
along those lines. I might even be inclined to support strengthening the
system so that parents who exhibit patterns of ongoing serious negative
treatment of their children that do not rise to the level of abuse can be
required to take a class in positive parenting skills, although I am
reluctant to trust current CPS agencies with that kind of power. (Note that
such classes would need to adopt realistic goals: instead of turning off
parents by telling them never to yell or punish, turn them on to things they
should do instead as much as possible.) But there are limits to how far we
can go through coercive means without doing more harm than good, especially
considering that making parents angry at government over intrusive
"anti-parent" laws is not exactly something that would help make them better
parents.

Nathan

Old June 18th 04, 04:40 AM
R. Steve Walz

Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to stop
using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which all children
are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

-------------
Yes, if enforced harshly. Worked in Sweden!

The "bad adult" argument was used there too,
they still passed the law and it STILL WORKED!

Bad adults can be scared out of criminality.
What a concept!!
Steve

Old June 18th 04, 11:18 AM
Doan

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, R. Steve Walz wrote:

Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to stop
using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which all children
are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

-------------
Yes, if enforced harshly. Worked in Sweden!

Then you are simply IGNORANT! Read up on the law banning spanking in
Sweden before you open your mouth. :-)

The "bad adult" argument was used there too,
they still passed the law and it STILL WORKED!

It did? How?

Bad adults can be scared out of criminality.
What a concept!!

LOL! You meant like the War on Drugs? ;-)

Doan

Steve

Old June 18th 04, 02:19 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message
Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to

stop
using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which all

children
are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

-------------
Yes, if enforced harshly. Worked in Sweden!

The "bad adult" argument was used there too,
they still passed the law and it STILL WORKED!

Bad adults can be scared out of criminality.
What a concept!!

Unfortunately, not all bad behavior is criminal. Should we legislate all
aspects of human interaction until we are naught but automotons? Whose
version of correct human interaction should we use? While I agree that
punitive discipline measures are at best not helpful and at worst... well
horrifying. But I do not see legislating as the answer. Some people are
just freakin' stupid and no laws are going to change that.

SNIP

Old June 18th 04, 02:27 PM
Nathan A. Barclay

Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to
stop using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which
all children are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

-------------
Yes, if enforced harshly. Worked in Sweden!

My understanding was that Sweden's law does not carry a strong enforcement
provision. (Indeed, I'm thinking I heard it carried practically none, but
it's been a few years so I might be mistaken.)

The "bad adult" argument was used there too,
they still passed the law and it STILL WORKED!

Did it? I'd like to see some evidence supporting that claim.

Bad adults can be scared out of criminality.
What a concept!!

Yet you deny all possibility that the threat of punishment can scare
children out of engaging in behaviors their parents want to stop. It would
seem that your views are less than entirely consistent, to put it mildly.

Old June 18th 04, 07:08 PM
Mary Gordon

The concept presupposes kids are born gentle, loving creatures, when
the opposite is true!

See this recent study.
http://www.tblog.com/templates/index...&static=138920

Mary G.
Old June 19th 04, 12:12 AM
Kane

Old June 19th 04, 12:55 AM
Doan

:
[...]

You are! Unless you can show me. What rate?

[...]

Do you have the numbers for all 15 years?

Are you too stupid to look at post the actual figures, or a liar?

I am throwing the citation back in your face. It said 2nd lowest in
15 years! You're are STUPID!

Notice that even with CP youth crime is up nearly 10 percent in one
year? Tell you anything about the use of CP as a deterent or a
teaching tool?

I'm sorry, I made a typo...make that 49% in one year.

That's ok!

Here's what they put up for the tourists:

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/keystats/...ndicators.html that
reflects that 10% or so.

Now here's that crime rate for youth....something you are avoiding
with all your little might. Don't hold your breath too long. You'll
turn green.

You are being stupid. Put the numbers side by side with Sweden. I
DARE YOU! ;-)

http://www.spf.gov.sg/
5 Youth crime continues to be an area of concern. More juveniles and
young persons were arrested in 2003 as compared to 2002. The three
common offences committed are shop theft, other theft and rioting.

That tells you nothing!

"Wong said youth crime had risen, with the number of arrests jumping
by 49 percent to about 4000 last year, up from 2800 the year before."
The URL for this quote above is further along in this post.

4000 out of how many?

By the way, did you know that Singapore fudges it's crime data
reporting to the good side?

Really? :-)

"Comment; Singapore, 10/15/2001:
A representative of the Singapore Department of Statistics notes that
Table 2 on Crime Recorded in Criminal (police) Statistics by Type of
Crime computes Singapores's crime rate per 100,000 inhabitants using
resident population figures as base:

"...Singapore's resident population refers to Singapore citizens and
persons who have been granted permanent stay in Singapore only,
excluding foreigners who are living or working in Singapore but have
not been granted permanent residence.

The crime rate for Singapore should be computed based on the total
population including foreigners living or working in Singapore. ?""

Gosh, you'd think with all that caning the officials doing the reports
would be more careful, now wouldn't you. Looks like they suffer from
your ailment.

LOL!

And have you bothered to consider....Singapore has a very small
population in a very crowded setting geographically, making them much
easier to police than the population in Sweden.

LOL! So New York must have less crime then Utah? You are stupid!
The more crowded the more crime! That is basic, STUPID!

But here's what I get from the UN report of the late 90's:

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/sixth...able_print.pdf

Total prosecution for major assault.

Sweden 17.26 13.80 12.64

Singapore 2.24 1.48 1.80

Sweden crime rate is higher! So much for non-spanking! YOU ARE STUPID!

Doan

Old June 19th 04, 01:00 AM
Doan

Default Kane proved that Sweden has higher crime rate!

On 18 Jun 2004, Kane wrote:

Total prosecution for major assault.

Sweden 17.26 13.80 12.64

Singapore 2.24 1.48 1.80

So after a generation of banning spanking, crime rate in Sweden is
about ten times that of Singapore. Anti-spanking zealotS will tell
you that banning spanking worked! ;-)

Doan

Old June 19th 04, 05:34 AM
R. Steve Walz

Nathan A. Barclay wrote:

R. Steve Walz would have us believe that if we just forced parents to stop
using punishment, our world would turn into a paradise in which all children
are treated well. But is that what would really happen?

-------------
Yes, if enforced harshly. Worked in Sweden!

Then you are simply IGNORANT! Read up on the law banning spanking in
Sweden before you open your mouth. :-)

-----------------------
Ahhh, lying AGAIN, I see!!
You use more caps the less confident you feel!
*I* use them for punctuation!

The "bad adult" argument was used there too,
they still passed the law and it STILL WORKED!

It did? How?

--------------------
OOoooo! Don't YOU know? YOU just got done saying you DID!

Bad adults can be scared out of criminality.
What a concept!!

LOL! You meant like the War on Drugs? ;-)
Doan

Irrelevant, and too mixed to compare.
Steve

Suppose we Outlawed Punishment? Nathan A. Barclay General 33 July 5th 04 03:22 AM
paradigms of spanking Doan General 0 January 3rd 04 07:03 PM
paradigms of spanking Lifeknox Spanking 5 January 3rd 04 07:03 PM
paradigms of punishment LadySharon811 Spanking 0 December 29th 03 04:02 AM
So much for the claims about Sweden Kane Spanking 10 November 5th 03 06:31 AM