Leaking already?!

Old September 23rd 04, 10:37 PM
Elle

Default Leaking already?!

I woke up this morning (at 19 weeks) and my DH pointed out that my
breast (just one, not the both) had leaked, right through my pyjama
top. So a few questions: I suppose this is normal? Is it normal to
leak from just one or should it happen equally from both sides? Now
that it has started will it increase in frequency & quantity and will
I leak from both breasts? Does this signal that my milk will come in
quickly and plentifully

I just want to be prepared and avoid wet spots appearing at
inconvenient times! Also I wonder if I'll be gushing by the time the
baby's due!

Thanks for any advice
Elle
Old September 23rd 04, 11:38 PM
Amy

Yup, that happened to me. It happens later for perhaps the majority, but I
was leaking by 19 weeks. And I had plenty of milk, not an oversupply, but
enough for DD who has grown well. And you can't run out of colostrum BTW.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

m...

Old September 24th 04, 03:25 PM
Marion

Elle wrote:
I woke up this morning (at 19 weeks) and my DH pointed out that my
breast (just one, not the both) had leaked, right through my pyjama
top. So a few questions: I suppose this is normal? Is it normal to
leak from just one or should it happen equally from both sides? Now
that it has started will it increase in frequency & quantity and will
I leak from both breasts? Does this signal that my milk will come in
quickly and plentifully

I just want to be prepared and avoid wet spots appearing at
inconvenient times! Also I wonder if I'll be gushing by the time the
baby's due!

Thanks for any advice
Elle

Yep it can happen that early. Whether or not you leak though isn't
really linked to supply.

Marion
Katy, due 10/4

Old September 25th 04, 04:29 AM
CY

Leaking is really no indication of anything that will happen after birth and
is completely normal and as a result of all those extra hormones. It may or
may not increase in frequency/volume but it will be colostrum until the baby
is born and will only be a few drips (from one or both sides) unless there
is any pressure applied there. I ended up having to sleep on a towel
because I would wake up wet from it, and I only leaked at night. Your milk
doesn't actually come in until the placenta seperates so don't worry about
that! FWIW, I did have a good supply and my milk came in on day 3 or 4
iirc, but like I said I don't think there is any correlation there between
early leaking (I was leaking at around 20 ish weeks) and good/low supply.
HTH.

CY
m...

Old September 25th 04, 04:59 AM
Wendy

I am 31 weeks and since around 25 weeks I have noticed that I smell like
milk! I haven't had any leaking, though. I have wondered what is going
on, too. Is this your first baby? With my first pregnancy I had no
leaking and no smell until after the baby was born, which is why it was
so surprising this time around. Has anyone else noticed this?.......it
seems a little early to be lactating.

Wendy

Old September 25th 04, 06:28 AM
Not My Real Name

"Elle" wrote in message
m...
I woke up this morning (at 19 weeks) and my DH pointed out that my
breast (just one, not the both) had leaked, right through my pyjama
top. So a few questions: I suppose this is normal?

Totally normal. And I think it's normal for one to leak and not the other.
With my first pg, I had colostrum at about 16 weeks. I did go on to have a
really great milk supply, even an oversupply, but I don't think that has
anything to do with it.

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Old September 25th 04, 06:30 AM
Not My Real Name

Does this signal that my milk will come in
quickly and plentifully

And PS -- my milk came in on the third day, totally normal for a first-time
mom. Baby nursing frequently has more to do with that than whether you leak
or not during pg, I think.

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Old September 25th 04, 10:55 AM
Amy

Even though I had medication to suppress lactation after my son's birth, I
never stopped being able to express colostrum from my breasts until my
daughter was born, so I never really noticed. Even though the pregnancies
were nearly a year apart. It didn't exactly drip out, but it was there,
because sometimes I had to massage my nipples after his birth because they
were sore for some time. I thought this was strange.

Old September 25th 04, 10:58 AM
Amy

Milk seems to come in on the third day regardless, doesn't it? I nursed DD
_constantly_ and I didn't get my milk in any sooner, I just had one cranky
baby on the second night!
What happens if you're still nursing your first when you have your second?
Surely it reverts to colostrum for a while, but you wouldn't get the
engorgement the same would you?

Old September 25th 04, 04:07 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Amy wrote:

Milk seems to come in on the third day regardless, doesn't it? I nursed DD
_constantly_ and I didn't get my milk in any sooner, I just had one cranky
baby on the second night!

My experience was quite different. It took 4-5
days the first time (lazy nurser) and only 24 hours the
second time (voracious nurser) and 2 days the third
(baby somewhere in the middle).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Please help....leaking clear fluid hpt negative! Stacy Pregnancy 5 September 21st 04 09:00 PM
leaking fluid??? little one Pregnancy 2 February 9th 04 10:04 AM
Leaking question from pre-newbie Taulmaril Breastfeeding 3 January 6th 04 11:04 AM
Is leaking too much colostrum a bad thing? Ollie Pregnancy 3 October 18th 03 06:43 PM
When do you stop leaking? AlenasMom Breastfeeding 5 October 2nd 03 09:28 PM