Leaking already?!

Old October 10th 04, 04:22 AM
Cathy Weeks

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...

Uh. Excuse me. You didn't think it was funny or you
couldn't tell it was humor? Elle, what did you think?

Larry, you've been one of my favorites in the
misc.kids.pregnancy/breastfeeding groups for years, and usually your
humor is fine (and obvious). But in this case.... wellll.... it
wasn't funny, nor obvious.

When I first read it, I wondered what was going on, since your post
came across as rather obnoxious. THEN I wondered if maybe you were
joking around, since it was so uncharacteristic.

Just my two cents.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 11th 04, 02:20 AM
Larry McMahan

Elle writes:

: For the record, I am hardly freaking out out about the occurrence and
: my husband was, well, almost charmed. You see we lost our last four
: pregnancies and never got to the point of seeing any "real" symptoms
: of our babies aside from the lines in the tests (unless you count
: bleeding and once an exploding fallopian tube which I suppose were
: some kind of evidence). Since I wasn't quite showing yet at that
: point, or feeling her move much, we were thilled she was making her
: presence known, even it was just a little colustrum.

First, let me apologize. Just flat out I'm sorry.

Second, I never connected your question with prior losses. If I had
known or though about your previous problems in the past, I would
never have tried to post humor based on your question.

You see, colostrum expression during pregnancy is a pretty commonly
posted question here, and the "normal" range of start is QUITE variable.
I have seen before 16 weeks, and I have seen women who post when they
are about to deliver saying why have I not started leaking yet.

I thought this was pretty widely known, and make it a pretty obvious
target for humor, even without smileys. I was wrong. Again, sorry.

Larry
Old October 11th 04, 10:43 PM
Elle

Elle writes:

[...]

Thanks for the apology, there is no reason why you or anyone would
have connected my question with loss. It just illustrates that every
woman is coming from a different place; the mechanics of pregnancy &
birth are pretty standard but our stories & backgrounds aren't

I know quite a bit about breastfeeding, having two sisters with lots
of experience who are still in the midst of it, but I haven't known
anyone who leaked early. I mean it was a bit disconcerting to me that
I might have wet boobs when people couldn't even tell from looking at
me that I was pregnant.

For those who are interested, I just bought some bras with double
layers of fabric in the cups; that absorbs any leakiness during the
day & avoids any potentially embarrasing situations at work.

Best
Elle
Old October 13th 04, 03:38 PM
PattyMomVA

"Elle" wrote and I snipped:

For those who are interested, I just bought some bras with double
layers of fabric in the cups; that absorbs any leakiness during the
day & avoids any potentially embarrasing situations at work.

It might be better to get some breast pads to put in your bras. That way
you can change them out if they get soaked. If your bra soaks up the
leaking colostrum, you can't get the wetness away from your skin, and it
could cause some problems. (Think diaper rash.)

The other thing you can do if you feel your breasts actively leaking is to
fold your arms across your chest and apply pressure. There's a new kind of
breast pads that actually prevents leaking in this way.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 3

Please help....leaking clear fluid hpt negative! Stacy Pregnancy 5 September 21st 04 09:00 PM
leaking fluid??? little one Pregnancy 2 February 9th 04 10:04 AM
Leaking question from pre-newbie Taulmaril Breastfeeding 3 January 6th 04 11:04 AM
Is leaking too much colostrum a bad thing? Ollie Pregnancy 3 October 18th 03 06:43 PM
When do you stop leaking? AlenasMom Breastfeeding 5 October 2nd 03 09:28 PM