hiccups in utero

Old October 2nd 04, 08:33 AM
melbgal1

In article , PattyMomVA says...
"Steve and/or Erin" wrote and I snipped:
I know it's normal for babies in utero to get the hiccups, but mine gets
them 1-2 times a day.. is this okay? It's worrying me a bit.

It's definitely normal. My DD was a very hiccupy baby pre-birth. A nurse
told me that it indicated she'd be very intelligent. I'd always assumed
that was mostly an old-wives tale but wondered if there was any truth to it.
Anyone heard this one? (BTW, she *is* very intelligent. :-)

I'll back it up !

( hiccupp'y mummy to a hiccup'y baby

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Old October 2nd 04, 11:59 AM
Jenrose

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
"Steve and/or Erin" wrote and I snipped:
I know it's normal for babies in utero to get the hiccups, but mine gets
them 1-2 times a day.. is this okay? It's worrying me a bit.

It's definitely normal. My DD was a very hiccupy baby pre-birth. A nurse
told me that it indicated she'd be very intelligent. I'd always assumed
that was mostly an old-wives tale but wondered if there was any truth to
it.
Anyone heard this one? (BTW, she *is* very intelligent. :-)

DD was very hiccupy and is brilliant. I'm not biased. No, really! G

She's not hiccupy now, much (she's 11).

Jenrose

Old October 2nd 04, 01:22 PM
Zaz

Oh yes they do!

I have have them and can't stop them early enough, my stomach gets all
upset, and it sometimes leads to throwing up...

By the way, the pope Pius IX died of a hiccups fit... (or was it another
Pius? I never remember)
Whenever DH laughs at me (he just can't help it, he doesn't understand how
much it hurts and just finds it funny - until I throw up, which doesn't
happen enough for him to remember from one time to the other), I just raise
my head up and say "You know, a pope died from hiccups. You should take that
seriously." Which, of course, makes him laugh all the more...

"melbgal1" wrote in message
t...

I never knew they hurt, and here you are confirming it !
I still think my baby has inherited *my* kind o' hiccups though. They
sound *identical* and he seems unphased, as I am when I get them

--
Mummy to Bébé B

Old October 2nd 04, 06:52 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Zaz wrote:

Oh yes they do!

I have have them and can't stop them early enough, my stomach gets all
upset, and it sometimes leads to throwing up...

I absolutely hate the hiccups because they make me swallow air. I'm
able to get rid of them very easily, though. I just take a deep breath
and repeat if necessary, and if they're still there, take a deep breath
and hold it for several seconds. I can actually feel the muscle relax,
so I know when it's safe to exhale.
Old October 4th 04, 11:01 AM
melbgal1

In article , Zaz says...
Oh yes they do!

ok - so *some* people with hiccups find they hurt, others don't
( or - there are 2x different kinds of hiccups - those that hurt and
those that don't

I have have them and can't stop them early enough, my stomach gets all
upset, and it sometimes leads to throwing up...

oh

By the way, the pope Pius IX died of a hiccups fit... (or was it another
Pius? I never remember)
Whenever DH laughs at me (he just can't help it, he doesn't understand how
much it hurts and just finds it funny - until I throw up, which doesn't
happen enough for him to remember from one time to the other), I just raise
my head up and say "You know, a pope died from hiccups. You should take that
seriously." Which, of course, makes him laugh all the more...

heh. Just thump him when you're feeling better

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Old October 4th 04, 05:41 PM
sharalyn

Ericka Kammerer wrote in message ...
Zaz wrote:

I do hope it does stop sometimes after they are born... I sometimes suffer
from hiccups, and *suffer* is the right word: they are very painful to me,
and have been since I was little... I hope my daughter doesn't have that
problem!

They don't seem to annoy babies as much as they
annoy adults.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Am I the only one whose child got royally peeved at the hiccups? Even
in utero, I could tell he was getting peeved at them. They'd start in
and fairly soon thereafter, he was flailing and kicking and punching
until they went away. That didn't change after he was born either. He
could be fast asleep, and the hiccups would wake him and he'd get
ticked. I found just popping him on the breast was usually enough to
calm him down *and* get rid of those nasty things.

I have always gotten hiccups that hurt badly also.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old October 6th 04, 07:35 PM
Kaybee

Erin,
Eva use to get them about 3 times a day. It was funny because every time
she would start them I too would start the hiccups.
I wouldn't worry too much about. But if it would make you feel better talk
to your doc on the next visit.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

"Steve and/or Erin" wrote in message
I know it's normal for babies in utero to get the hiccups, but mine gets
them 1-2 times a day.. is this okay? It's worrying me a bit.

Erin
edd #1 11/12

Old October 13th 04, 10:18 PM
Jamie Clark

I get the hiccups frequently, but they don't hurt me at all. Heck, they
don't even annoy me. They just are. I ignore them, and like a pesky little
brother, they go away. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 13th 04, 10:19 PM
Jamie Clark

I second it -- both my peanuts are hiccupy, as am I, and we're all
brilliant! : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: