Moses basket/bassinet

Old October 4th 04, 08:31 AM
Anne Rogers

So far everyone seems to be describing something to be used as a carrier.
Ummm, not to sound dumb or anything, but what's wrong with buying a normal
carrier? That's what I use - it's sturdy, portable, convenient, and came
cushioned for Baby's comfort. Some carriers can double as a carseat, but
some that are less expensive are made just to be used to tote Baby around.
I have seen them as low as $35 - $40. Or is it just the baskety look that
is desired here? Just curious...

I saw a really comfy looking carrier being used by a mum in an airport once,
it was moses basket shaped, but smaller and appeared to be made of pink
fabric, the baby was probably less than a month old, but she appeared to be
totally relaxed, so I'm guessing there must have been some structure to it,
the baby was lieing totally flat and the mum was carrying it like a brief
case, looked way more convienent than a pram. Personally I would use a
sling, but I do have worries that the baby is in a slouched position

Old October 4th 04, 10:49 AM
Carli Groven

Ahhhh, ok - that DOES make sense! Thanks!

Carli

"toypup" wrote in message

"Carli Groven" wrote in message
.. .
So far everyone seems to be describing something to be used as a carrier.
Ummm, not to sound dumb or anything, but what's wrong with buying a
normal carrier? That's what I use - it's sturdy, portable, convenient,
and came cushioned for Baby's comfort. Some carriers can double as a
carseat, but some that are less expensive are made just to be used to
tote Baby around. I have seen them as low as $35 - $40. Or is it just
the baskety look that is desired here? Just curious...

Carseat carriers prop them up in a semi-reclined position. I've not seen
a regular carrier in some time, but they reclined in the same position.
It's not really recommended to keep a newborn up in that position for too
long, because they are too upright and may not get enough air.

Old October 4th 04, 11:57 AM
Jenrose

case, looked way more convienent than a pram. Personally I would use a
sling, but I do have worries that the baby is in a slouched position

It all depends on what sling you use, and how. Using slings, I carry
newborns high on my shoulder (in a burp position) or upright on my chest
(not slumped or slouched--this is the same position they use for kangaroo
care), unless nursing. Hard to do these carriers in "standard" slings
comfortably with a newborn, but if you look at
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl..._instr_2sc.asp you'll see what I
mean.

The same carries can be done with stretchy wraparounds carriers, too.

Frankly, beyond the occasional use of our carseat carrier, baby was either
in a sling or in my arms pretty much all the time last time. My only
exception was when baby fell asleep in the car. Moses basket: I have one,
but use it for catching the incoming mail...

When the baby is held on your shoulder or high on your chest, and you
*don't* have to use your arms to keep baby there, it just becomes
unnecessary to have all the other stuff.

I'm considering adding one carry to my repertoire for littles....
http://www.mamatoto.org/PortalVBVS/HowTo/BackTibetan/
This high back carry works with even tiny babies (because they're well
supported and the carrier helps stabilize them while you get them up there)
and is insanely comfortable to do.

Personally, I found my last baby did much better upright/supported than
lying down or semi-reclining. His breathing was better, his tummy was
better....

Jenrose

Old October 4th 04, 01:39 PM
Sophie

"Carli Groven" wrote in message
.. .
So far everyone seems to be describing something to be used as a carrier.
Ummm, not to sound dumb or anything, but what's wrong with buying a normal
carrier? That's what I use - it's sturdy, portable, convenient, and came
cushioned for Baby's comfort. Some carriers can double as a carseat, but
some that are less expensive are made just to be used to tote Baby around.
I have seen them as low as $35 - $40. Or is it just the baskety look that
is desired here? Just curious...

Carli

That's a seat. A Moses Basket is flat for a baby to lie in, not sit in.
Not to mention I think carseats are a total PITA to carry.

"Steve and/or Erin" wrote in message
I would like to buy a bassinet and/or moses basket. Questions:

- The moses basket seems to offer the most flexibility, but they all say
not to carry the baby around in one- I thought this was the whole idea?

Is
it really that dangerous?
- The baskets vary a lot in price; are their recommendations for any

under
$100?
- Should I just get a stationary bassinet instead?

Thanks!
Erin

EDD #1 November 12, 2004

Old October 4th 04, 03:25 PM
Elle

"Carli Groven" wrote in message ...
So far everyone seems to be describing something to be used as a carrier.
Ummm, not to sound dumb or anything, but what's wrong with buying a normal
carrier? That's what I use - it's sturdy, portable, convenient, and came
cushioned for Baby's comfort. Some carriers can double as a carseat, but
some that are less expensive are made just to be used to tote Baby around.
I have seen them as low as $35 - $40. Or is it just the baskety look that
is desired here? Just curious...

Carli

A moses basket is for sleeping in. They are small, light and portable.
I don't think infants sleeping in their car seats or carriers *all the
time* is recommended, although some babies need to sleep upright.

Elle
Old October 5th 04, 01:41 AM
Nancy P.

"Steve and/or Erin" wrote in message
I would like to buy a bassinet and/or moses basket. Questions:

- The moses basket seems to offer the most flexibility, but they all say
not to carry the baby around in one- I thought this was the whole idea? Is
it really that dangerous?
- The baskets vary a lot in price; are their recommendations for any under
$100?
- Should I just get a stationary bassinet instead?

Thanks!
Erin

EDD #1 November 12, 2004

I have a bassinet, and for my second baby, I also got a moses basket. The
bassinet was upstairs, and I used the moses basket downstairs. I carried it
once in a while, when moving the basket from the table to the chair, but I
would not have used it as a carrier, because its floppy.
With my first baby, I used the pack N play downstairs, but decided this time
it was huge and unnecessary. I was also on a kick where I wanted to get a
few new things for the new baby, and I chose to get a basket. So now we
have this pretty basket that will go in her room once she has one. My older
DD plays dollies in it for now. I really like the basket I got, its:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N25B25279

To be practical, you only use either thing for a very short time. If I was
only buying one, I'd get the bassinet, because it was about the same height
as my bed and I didn't have to lean or bend to pick up the baby at night.

Nancy

Old October 13th 04, 11:12 PM
Jamie Clark

I think the moses basket is smaller than the bassinet, so would not last as
long. They are pretty, but as they say, you shouldn't carry the infant in
it, which sort of defeats the purpose. We have a bassinet downstairs and
the PackNPlay in our room. We have a Lamby lamb skin that Addie sleeps on,
and at night, scoop her up in the Lamby and transfer her from the bassinet
to the PNP. Same thing in the morning. It makes for a smooth transition,
and I think helps her sleep.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: