Depo worn off, should I . . .

Old October 12th 04, 09:12 PM
Christine Cato

Default Depo worn off, should I . . .

My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF. What
I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could never get AF,
and get pregnant without realizing it. Do you think I should stop all
alcohol/ caffeine consumption? Given the fact that it could take as long
as 18 months to get pregnant after depo that seems a little extreme, but
maybe not?

Thanks!

Christine

Old October 12th 04, 11:59 PM
Daye

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:12:49 -0400, Christine Cato
wrote:

My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF. What
I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could never get AF,
and get pregnant without realizing it. Do you think I should stop all
alcohol/ caffeine consumption? Given the fact that it could take as long
as 18 months to get pregnant after depo that seems a little extreme, but
maybe not?

Short answer is yes, you could not get an AF, get pregnant and not
know it. If your Depo has stopped your periods (which it did with
me), it is possible that when you first ovulate that you could get
pregnant. It depends on how long you stop using BC. Are you using
alternate forms of BC?

For a personal view on this, I was on Depo before I had #1. I don't
know how long it took to get pregnant with her because I wasn't
keeping up. After #1, I had 2 shots of Depo (a total of 6 months
protection) then I went off of them. It took about 3 months or so for
AF to return. It took me 18 months to get pregnant with #2. I had a
tubal after #2 so I no longer use BC.

I don't know if it will take you 18 months to get pregnant or not.
The way your body reacts to BC is individual.

Old October 13th 04, 03:15 AM
Nikki

Christine Cato wrote:
My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF.
What I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could
never get AF, and get pregnant without realizing it.

Yes.

Do you think I
should stop all alcohol/ caffeine consumption?

You could do that or use alternate forms of birth control until your period
returns or are you ttc? If you are ttc I would probably limit alcohol and
caffeine consumption if you drink a significant amount of either. Personally
I limited my alcohol intake (but didn't abstaine entirely) and didn't do a
thing about the caffeine until I knew I was pg. That wasn't to brilliant
since coming off caffeine while simultaniously dealing with morning sickness
was really miserable.

Given the fact that it
could take as long as 18 months to get pregnant after depo that seems
a little extreme, but maybe not?

I wouldn't do it ;-) It took 9 months for my period to return after the
last depo shot. I don't know if I was fertile then or not as I wasn't ttc
for quite some time after that.
--
Nikki

Old October 13th 04, 03:44 AM
newfy.1

"Christine Cato" wrote in message
news
My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF. What
I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could never get AF,
and get pregnant without realizing it. Do you think I should stop all
alcohol/ caffeine consumption? Given the fact that it could take as long
as 18 months to get pregnant after depo that seems a little extreme, but
maybe not?

Not really so extreme. I have a freind who took about a year to get pregnant
after her last depo shot wore off. She finally took a progesterone charger
to get her cycle started up again. I know I didn't get my period for at
least six months after and I too, took the progesterone charger to get
started back up with my cycles. Who knows how long it would have taken?

BTW, while I personally don't drink alcohol typically while *not* pregnant,
I certainly don't feel the need to cut out caffeine while pregnant! I'm 38
weeks pregnant and still have my one morning cup of coffee. IMO, but there's
no need to deprive yourself until you know that you are pregnant. Good luck.

JennP.

Old October 13th 04, 09:27 AM
Anne Rogers

My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF. What
I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could never get AF,
and get pregnant without realizing it. Do you think I should stop all
alcohol/ caffeine consumption? Given the fact that it could take as long
as 18 months to get pregnant after depo that seems a little extreme, but
maybe not?

If you want to get pregnant you should be doing these things and start
taking folic acid, if you don't then use another form of BC. Some people
like to get there cycles regular before TTC as it saves quite a bit of
angst, am I aren't I etc.

I'm not sure what is recommended as caffine consumption I've never heard
that you shoudn't have any at all, personally I'm a tea drinker so that's
less concentrated than coffee. With alcohol I would only drink 1 glass at a
time (I would usually only have 2 anyway) and not do that too often.

Old October 13th 04, 09:44 AM
Kazh

I came off depo in Jan 2003, after 13 years on it and no periods, it =
took AF 8 mths to re-visit and 12 mths from first AF to conceive.

Like any other method of contraception, PG is possible at any time if =
the method of birth control is stopped.

I'd recommend using an alternative method if you are not TTC and if you =
are TTC stop all alcohol / caffeine now and start taking 400mg folic =
acid every day.

"Christine Cato" wrote in message =
news My Depo shot theoretically wore off last week. I have not gotten AF. =
What=20
I am wondering is - it is technically possible that I could never get =
AF,=20
and get pregnant without realizing it. Do you think I should stop all=20

Old October 13th 04, 02:04 PM
Christine Cato

--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 10:44 PM -0400 "newfy.1"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the advise. As we are TTC, I am taking folic acid, and
I guess I will switch to mostly decaf (usually I drink about 5 cups of
regular a day - too much) and limit the drinks to 1 every once and a while
until I get AF and then none after that. Seems reasonable!