Is implantation bleeding an accurate indicator of pregnancy?

Old August 7th 05, 10:49 PM

Default Is implantation bleeding an accurate indicator of pregnancy?

I am now pregnant, but had sex with two different men prior and am not
certain who the father is. I thought I'd post here in the hopes that
someone can help predict some probabilities.

My cycle is usually 34 - 35 days long and I am very regular. I usually
ovulate between the 15th and 20th day.
Following is the sequence of events:

5/26/05 - period began
5/30/05 - period ended
6/27/05 - period began
7/1/05 - period ended
7/10/05 - had sex with man 1.
7/13/05 - experienced slight pink color in discharge lasting 2 - 3 days
7/17/05 - had sex with man 2
7/24/05 - Tested with "First Response" pregnancy test - result NEGATIVE
7/28/05 - Retested with "First Response" pregnancy test - result
NEGATIVE
7/31/05 - Retested with "First Response " pregnancy test - result
POSITIVE

I have consulted a few sources and all say that based on this info,
conception should have taken place on the 17th of the month, which
leads me to believe that man 2 is the father. However, the spotting on
the 13th leads me to believe that it could be man 1. I realize that I
probably can't be 100% certain, but I would appreciate any opinions.

Thank you,
emotional mom-to-be

Old August 7th 05, 11:49 PM
Jamie Clark

Assuming your luteal phase (from ovulation to period) is the same each
cycle, and basing it on a 14 day luteal phase and a 34-35 day cycle, the
ovulation calendar I used said that you ovulated on the 17th or 18th of
July. Based on the events, it would appear that #2 was the father. If you
did ovulate on the 17th or 18th, then the sperm from #1 would have been long
gone.

If you normally had 28 day cycles, you would have been ovulating on the 10th
or 11th, and then it would have been #1. But the later ovulation sounds
more likely based on your normal cycles, and when you finally got a positive
test. I would think that if you had conceived earlier, then you would have
tested positive earlier as well.

If you have an u/s it can confirm the age of the fetus, and should be able
to pinpoint ovulation -- or at least be obvious if it was the week of the
10th or the week of the 17th.

As for the spotting? Who knows. Usually implantation spotting occurs
around when your period is due, not at ovulation.

Based on your circumstances and sig line, it's hard to tell if a
Congratulations is warranted. How about "good luck"?
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old August 8th 05, 01:49 AM
Dagny

wrote in message
oups.com...

5/26/05 - period began
5/30/05 - period ended
6/27/05 - period began
7/1/05 - period ended
7/10/05 - had sex with man 1.
7/13/05 - experienced slight pink color in discharge lasting 2 - 3 days

Implantation usually takes about 8 days from ovulation. This was almost
surely not implantation bleeding from intercourse three days prior.

7/17/05 - had sex with man 2
7/24/05 - Tested with "First Response" pregnancy test - result NEGATIVE
7/28/05 - Retested with "First Response" pregnancy test - result
NEGATIVE
7/31/05 - Retested with "First Response " pregnancy test - result
POSITIVE

It's highly unlikely that it is man 1's baby. It looks like man 2's
spermies were hanging out living in your fallopian tubes for a couple of
days and then you dropped an egg sometime around 7/20 and conceived then.
So if you want an accurate EDD, tell your doctor that you have 28 day cycles
and that your LMP was 7/4/05. Otherwise he is an ob/gyn and so he's slow in
the head and will get confused by the truth (snark).

I suppose man 1 could have one or two very long lived rambo spermies that
might make it 10 days in your reproductive tract. It only takes one. But
like I said, it's unlikely.

-- Dagny

Old August 8th 05, 03:18 AM
V.

"Dagny" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...

So if you want an accurate EDD, tell your doctor that you have 28 day
cycles

and that your LMP was 7/4/05. Otherwise he is an ob/gyn and so he's slow
in the head and will get confused by the truth (snark).

LOL, isn't that the truth. I had an IUI so I know the exact date I
conceived. My LMP wasn't exactly 14 days prior, so the OBs office kept
trying to make my EDD go by LMP instead of the ACTUAL DATE OF CONCEPTION! I
finally told the nurse my LMP was the 14 days before the IUI so they'd get
it right. Then we had the same discussion when we had the u/s which was a
couple days different.

Old August 8th 05, 02:01 PM
KD

V. wrote:
"Dagny" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...

So if you want an accurate EDD, tell your doctor that you have 28 day
cycles

and that your LMP was 7/4/05. Otherwise he is an ob/gyn and so he's slow
in the head and will get confused by the truth (snark).

LOL, isn't that the truth. I had an IUI so I know the exact date I
conceived. My LMP wasn't exactly 14 days prior, so the OBs office kept
trying to make my EDD go by LMP instead of the ACTUAL DATE OF CONCEPTION! I
finally told the nurse my LMP was the 14 days before the IUI so they'd get
it right. Then we had the same discussion when we had the u/s which was a
couple days different.

I've read that there can be a bit of pinkish discharge, etc., at
ovulation. This happened to me, on what turned out to be the day I
conceived. That was exactly two weeks after the start of my last
period.

16 days later, period was due but got nothing but a bit of spotting,
which I believe to be implantation bleeding. A few days later, I tested
a faint positive. Tried again ten days later, and nothing faint about
it!

KD

Old August 8th 05, 06:32 PM

Jamie Clark writes:

: As for the spotting? Who knows. Usually implantation spotting occurs
: around when your period is due, not at ovulation.

I agree that the if there is implantation bleeding it should e much later,
however it is quite common to spot at ovulation. This would place
ovulation on the 13th and make man 1 more likely. This is as as good as
a Mrs Marple mystery!

Larry

Old August 8th 05, 09:29 PM
Dagny

wrote in message ...
Jamie Clark writes:

: As for the spotting? Who knows. Usually implantation spotting occurs
: around when your period is due, not at ovulation.

I agree that the if there is implantation bleeding it should e much later,
however it is quite common to spot at ovulation. This would place
ovulation on the 13th and make man 1 more likely. This is as as good as
a Mrs Marple mystery!

She could have O'd twice.

I say let's order an ultrasound in one week and get started on some dating.
HAHA.

-- Dagny

Old August 8th 05, 10:39 PM
Mogget

In message ,
Jamie Clark writes
Assuming your luteal phase (from ovulation to period) is the same each
cycle, and basing it on a 14 day luteal phase and a 34-35 day cycle, the
ovulation calendar I used said that you ovulated on the 17th or 18th of
July. Based on the events, it would appear that #2 was the father. If you
did ovulate on the 17th or 18th, then the sperm from #1 would have been long
gone.

Er, no. Not for definite.

On two occasions, Mr Mogget's sperm has lived for ten days & impregnated
me (and yes I am absolutely certain of dates).

I agree with what you say, and that it is more likely that #2 is the
father, but it *is* possible that #1 is the father.
--
Mogget