occasional light spotting at 5 months...

Old August 9th 05, 01:43 AM
oregonchick

Default occasional light spotting at 5 months...

I have a call into my OB's nurse. But I have been having very light
spotting lately. I am just over 5 months pregnant. This is not after sex
or any other activities. Is this normal, or should I be really concerned?

Old August 9th 05, 01:50 AM
V.

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I have a call into my OB's nurse. But I have been having very light
spotting lately. I am just over 5 months pregnant. This is not after sex
or any other activities. Is this normal, or should I be really concerned?

Well, of course your situation may be different, but I had some light
spotting (more like brown blood in mucus) around 5 months. I panicked
and went in to see the OB and had an u/s. They couldn't find any reason for
the bleeding, and after an internal, decided that my cervix looked
"sensitive". I hadn't had sex "or any other activities", but apparently
just had some cervical bleeding. The OB did say that sometimes women get
cysts (or did she say polyps?) on the cervix, and increased pressure from
the baby can cause them to "pop". That was not the case with me (apparently
she would have been able to see if it had been), but it's certainly a benign
explanation. I had Rhogam "just in case".
I think the major concern is bright red blood, blood with tissue, or
consistent flow. Certainly you should call the OB and check it out, but it
doesn't sound like the "super high risk" bleeding.

Good luck,
Amy

Old August 9th 05, 01:54 AM
Me Myself and I

Is it enough that you require a panty liner? Is it bright red, red or
brown. Do you feel unwell or crampy before the spotting starts? Do you
know the position of the placenta? (Sorry for all the questions)

At this later stage I would certainly get yourself checked out. Mostly for
peace of mind and as a diagnostic as there may be a potentially serious
problem that as long as you know about can be dealt with.

By no means freak out but I wouldn't leave it unchecked. Bleeding in
pregnancy is never normal (it may be common but it isn't normal) I have
plenty of experience of it having bled heavy bright red for many weeks, but
I was under medical supervision so I felt a lot calmer about it.

Take care and lets us know what happens.

BTW If the situation changes and the bleeding increases, or you start having
pains (even mild cramps) or anything that you just feel isn't right then
take a trip down to the Emergency room quick smart.

--
Pip

My 2 premmies
Abby - 6 months old and too laid back to roll over
Jasmine - 3 1/2 and I'm going to change her name to "Devils Child"

Old August 9th 05, 02:15 AM
oregonchick

"Me Myself and I" wrote in message
Is it enough that you require a panty liner? Is it bright red, red or
brown. Do you feel unwell or crampy before the spotting starts? Do you
know the position of the placenta? (Sorry for all the questions)

No pantiliner needed. It is only very very light pink, but noticable. I
have been having alot of sharp cramps on one side, enough to wake me in the
middle of the night. I don't know where the placenta is...

At this later stage I would certainly get yourself checked out. Mostly
for
peace of mind and as a diagnostic as there may be a potentially serious
problem that as long as you know about can be dealt with.

By no means freak out but I wouldn't leave it unchecked. Bleeding in
pregnancy is never normal (it may be common but it isn't normal) I have
plenty of experience of it having bled heavy bright red for many weeks,
but
I was under medical supervision so I felt a lot calmer about it.

Take care and lets us know what happens.

Thanks! I will.

Old August 9th 05, 02:23 AM
Me Myself and I

"oregonchick" wrote in message
No party-liner needed. It is only very very light pink, but noticable. I
have been having alot of sharp cramps on one side, enough to wake me in

the
middle of the night. I don't know where the placenta is...

Hmmm best to make an appointment with your doctor, then toddle off and see
what he has to say Cramps on their own even sharp ones can be quite
common due to muscles stretching, but accompanied by pain then you need to
get checked.

--
Pip

My premmies :

Old August 9th 05, 11:31 AM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:43:17 -0700, oregonchick wrote:

I have a call into my OB's nurse. But I have been having very light
spotting lately. I am just over 5 months pregnant. This is not after sex
or any other activities. Is this normal, or should I be really concerned?

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, but any type of spotting after the first
trimester is worth an additional check-up on short notice. So call your
doctor's office asap for an appointment. In the mean time, limit your
physical activities, especially lifting and standing. No need to go an lie
down though, just take it easy.

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)
Old August 9th 05, 07:06 PM
April & Bump

Hi

I would get checked out but defently do not FREAK out. I had a bleed at 9
wks which started off with spotting but ended up like a very heavy period
and losts a few clots which was heavyier and larger than my normal period
and had cramps ect but I am proove that it does not always mean miscarriage.
I am now nearly 4 months pregnant and baby is doing supa. I had another ante
natal check up today and babies heart beat is fine. They can not tell me
100% what caused my bleed but at 10 wks I had a scan and it showed the
placenta looked low so now they are saying that could be the cause but then
when I had a scan at 9 wks the day after big bleed that couldnt see anything
wrong at all. Please do get checked out but please dont panic which is
really hard to do I know because loads of people told me not to panic as
well.

Good Luck